Talons of the Emperor 8th Edition

Hello all! 

I started a home brewed Talons of the Emperor force that got a lot of great feedback from my local scene and some other Custodes pages but I wanted to expand the audience! 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LePMksMF_cjYqCSKyGTla9O7WgAY0kUWsyx2NkVtGSI/edit?usp=sharing

Bunches of changes:

HQs are in! Valdor, Ixion Hale, shield captain, and even a min unit of Aquilion Termies are now able to lead the forces of the Custodes!

New troop option: Sagittarum! Brutal salvos and rapid incineration while being able to hold objectives.

Elites: Aquilion Terminators (with deepstrike!) and the dreaded dread spear wielding Achillus.  

Fast attack: Palas and jetbikes are in!

Heavy: Caladius and Galatus are in! Slaughtering from near and far with heavy firepower, oh mulching cc prowess. 

Lord of War option: Telemon Dreadnought. Beefed up and deadly beyond belief. The Telemon hits like a vault worth of golden bricks in the shooting phase, and then uses the whole vault to hit them again for good major during the fight sub-phase.

Still to come: The flying brick transport. I haven't had the vision of how to approach this unit as it really eliminates the one weakness currently inbuilt in the army, cheap transportation. 

I made foot slogging armies far more viable for an interactive game with Valdor and the Command ability to pre-game units an extra advance role, but might have to take this trait away if cheap durable transports become a thing. have not yet decided!

Bat reps will be added to this page! I hope you enjoy and leave plenty of feedback!

Haven't really played enough 8th edition to comment on balance, however:

The pallas entry needs an update, the statline is currently shifted around. The entry also says Twin Adrastus Bolt Caliver instead of Twin Adrathic Destructor.

The abilities really should be keept under the abilty line, and not start the new line under the weapon for ease of reading.

Power level seems to equate 15-20 points mostly, so having the Twin Arachnus Heavy Blaze be 4 power level, yet 30 points more then the Iliastus seems odd.

Haven't really played enough 8th edition to comment on balance, however:

The pallas entry needs an update, the statline is currently shifted around. The entry also says Twin Adrastus Bolt Caliver instead of Twin Adrathic Destructor.

The abilities really should be keept under the abilty line, and not start the new line under the weapon for ease of reading.

Power level seems to equate 15-20 points mostly, so having the Twin Arachnus Heavy Blaze be 4 power level, yet 30 points more then the Iliastus seems odd.

Good catch I'll format when I get home! Thanks for input.

Loving this líst! Just a few things I've seen:

Aquilon Terminators are a bit over priced, between 70-80 points for the storm bolter and power fist would be better for what they are.

The jetbikes should be able to take an ardrathic devestator not a destructor.

Power knives are basically useless on everyone except the Sagittarum, it's cool that you thought of the Misericordia but crunch wise it's just 5 extra points on most units.

Edited by RavenLord693

Making the corrections tonight good catch on the bikes!

The termies are capable of deep strike have 3 wounds and a 4++, you really think they are over priced? The power fist hits way way harder than a str8 one too. Its a d6 weapon...

And the lastrum storm bolter is a beast I thought its more effective than a heavy bolter by a lot!"

Ok! ardrathic devestator have a profile now and were added to the bikes AND the Pallas, I always have assumed it was a typo that the wrong guns were called out on the pallas. Why would a gun that you can hand carry go onto a speeder? The size makes more sense as well.

Edited by Hellex_The_Thanatar

• 2 weeks later...

This is some good work! I'll post my thoughts below.

- The Fury of the Master Stratagem is super strong but super expensive. Maybe a bit too strong and expensive. Against elite armies, this stratagem will be absolutely punishing.

- Solerite Power Talons are a bit weak compared to the Power Fists. Maybe roll 2d3 and take the highest for damage?

- Both Valdor and Hale seem really fun. I like them both. Valdor should definitely have the morale buff of the Shield Captain though.

- The Lastrum Storm Bolter on the Terminators shouldn't be a Twin Lastrum Storm Bolter. It should also probably be rapid fire 2 as opposed to assault 4.

- The Twin Adrathic Destructor has a duplicate sentence in the description.

- On the Achillus Dreadspear, does the 6 to-hit cause an addition d3 mortal wounds or it is d3 mortal wounds instead of the standard 3+d3 wounds? Also, is it taken in place of one of the Dreadnought CCW or in addition to? In other words, do you have to pay for 2 CCW weapons and the Dreadspear? Also, the 2nd CCW is typically given a discount on paired weapons.

- I really like the Adrastus Bolt Caliver although you may want to add a -1 to hit if you fire both parts.

- Power Lances are actually in the index. They are essentially just Power Mauls. So the Jetbikes will need a different name on their lances. I also think they should do extra damage when they charge.

- The Lastrum Bolt Cannon is a bit cheap. Its only 8 points more than a heavy bolter but gains rending and damage 3.

- The Pallas has its WS and BS flipped. I'm assuming it should be BS 2+ and WS 5+.

- The Illiastus Accelerator Cannon ability is a bit oddly worded. Is it only supposed to be ignore the -1 to hit flyers? Or is it more like the Dark Reapers ability?

- The Telemon looks BEASTLY. The 2nd CCW should give a slight discount though.

Additionally, how do you envision the index Custodes units fitting in here? Would you just combine the index with your fandex? Also, the Coronus appears to missing. Was that intentional?

Overall, I think this seems like a really fun army. I will try and get a test game in with it soon. I will report back when I do!

-

This is some good work! I'll post my thoughts below.

- The Fury of the Master Stratagem is super strong but super expensive. Maybe a bit too strong and expensive. Against elite armies, this stratagem will be absolutely punishing.

- Solerite Power Talons are a bit weak compared to the Power Fists. Maybe roll 2d3 and take the highest for damage?

- Both Valdor and Hale seem really fun. I like them both. Valdor should definitely have the morale buff of the Shield Captain though.

- The Lastrum Storm Bolter on the Terminators shouldn't be a Twin Lastrum Storm Bolter. It should also probably be rapid fire 2 as opposed to assault 4.

- The Twin Adrathic Destructor has a duplicate sentence in the description.

- On the Achillus Dreadspear, does the 6 to-hit cause an addition d3 mortal wounds or it is d3 mortal wounds instead of the standard 3+d3 wounds? Also, is it taken in place of one of the Dreadnought CCW or in addition to? In other words, do you have to pay for 2 CCW weapons and the Dreadspear? Also, the 2nd CCW is typically given a discount on paired weapons.

- I really like the Adrastus Bolt Caliver although you may want to add a -1 to hit if you fire both parts.

- Power Lances are actually in the index. They are essentially just Power Mauls. So the Jetbikes will need a different name on their lances. I also think they should do extra damage when they charge.

- The Lastrum Bolt Cannon is a bit cheap. Its only 8 points more than a heavy bolter but gains rending and damage 3.

- The Pallas has its WS and BS flipped. I'm assuming it should be BS 2+ and WS 5+.

- The Illiastus Accelerator Cannon ability is a bit oddly worded. Is it only supposed to be ignore the -1 to hit flyers? Or is it more like the Dark Reapers ability?

- The Telemon looks BEASTLY. The 2nd CCW should give a slight discount though.

Additionally, how do you envision the index Custodes units fitting in here? Would you just combine the index with your fandex? Also, the Coronus appears to missing. Was that intentional?

Overall, I think this seems like a really fun army. I will try and get a test game in with it soon. I will report back when I do!

-

Ok so tons of updates! Sorry for the delay I moved to Japan and have been rather swamped!

Lastrum storm bolters have been changed!  I completely agree it should have been raidfire 2

I know fury of the master is strong, not sure if I mind that though? This is an army that will almost never get buffs, even can't ever get buffs in normal gameplay with any of the named characters. So I was trying to offset that.

The apollanian spear has been fixed I believe would you verify?

The dread spear is fixed as well, I wanted to differentiate hit vs to wound so that should be clearer now. 

Telemon 2nd cc weapon fixed in the costs. I am glad you think he is beastly he was a labor of love.

Pallas fixed great catch. 

I think my new wording on the caladius fixes what you meant. 

Price bump for the lastrum bolt cannon. Great input.

Yes the index custodes should slot right into this list as they are. Tank and dread included. 

Coronus and the Hetareon are not in yet I don't know how to balance them well in this list. The coronus should be cheaper than the land raider...and unfortunately faster...which virtually eliminates their in built speed limitations and the opponents ability to deal with them. How do you balance such a tanky speedy transport that should be cheaper than a land raider...? Haven't solved it.

Oh also other major changes occurred to the aquillion termis. They got an additional wound but squad sized is capped at 3.

The Orion looks fun but I have some questions about it.

First off, is there a reason it doesn't have typical suite of flyer rules?

Second, I think WS 2+ is far too high. Most vehicles don't go above WS 5+.

Third, it sounds like the macro arae shrikes make the deep strike distance to 15" from the base. Is that correct?

Finally, I think the power level may be a bit low. Right now it's at 30 power, but comes out to 1060 points but it's only 30 power. It should be about 50 power.

A Custodes list with one of these things will be really deadly. I don't see most armies being able to destroy it fast enough. It sounds like fun to me!

Third, it sounds like the macro arae shrikes make the deep strike distance to 15" from the base. Is that correct?

Finally, I think the power level may be a bit low. Right now it's at 30 power, but comes out to 1060 points but it's only 30 power. It should be about 50 power.

A Custodes list with one of these things will be really deadly. I don't see most armies being able to destroy it fast enough. It sounds like fun to me!

WS 2+ for WS 5?

WS 2+ for WS 5?
Likely a paste error will fix tonight yeah no way should the flyer be that good at smacking things ha. And good catch I did not out super heavy or any other key words yet my apologies was out of it but excited it camw out whe. I wrote it!

Should read 15" from hull.

Finally yes another copy paste error on the lower level! Will clea. Up in a few hours.

Edited by Hellex_The_Thanatar

Just wishing I played at a non-GW store so I could have a chance of using these rules.

no one stops you from using this rules in gw stores as long as you got the models?

And your opponent agrees*.

Edited by Stormxlr

Bunch of updates! Adrathic devastator profile bright in line with the rest of the adrathic weapons, besides the fact that the devastator was left as assault and was given a re-roll to wound. The army as is has very few high strength shooting weapons I think the re-roll to wound on them both offer a real reason to take the expensive bikes and the pallas. 

Orion got a power level adjustment and fixed the WS chart. I actually am ok with the Orion being a bit better at hitting than most vehicles. I can easily imagine that a grav flyer zooming over and crushing enemies without too much effort. 

Added a new relic! the Misericordia is a power knife worth using! Adding in a brutal extra -2 leadership penalty to moral. (Representing both the highest authority carried by Custodes as well as the sheer fear I imagine a giant clad in gold would inspire as you watch him lift up and precisely disembowel your friend or leader. 

Also had a long thought about Telemon fist I really don't feel like it needed the re-roll to wound. I updated how many you can take, as it simply doesn't make sense to ban multiple of them from apoc level games, so I just implemented a point/power restriction. 

Anyways check it out! I hope there is someone out there who get's a chance to try this! As I am stuck over seas and far far away from my golden boys.