Is there room in the far future for a "love story"?

Ovidius Incertus

TBF A "Romance" subplot could work even with marines, though woudl very much have to be done itn the Ancient epic style such as Achilles and Patroclus or Gilgamesh and Enkidu.

I could be wrong, but I think there was a book in the past that almost hinted at this. It wasn't a 'romance' per say, but there was the Marine antagonist, and a female sidekick/extra. From the language used (it was his internal thoughts), you could tell that the Marine had 'feelings' for the female, but he consciously acknowledged that it wasn't love, because his training and conditioning removed that emotion from him. However, he did understand that what he felt wasn't normal for him and wanted to protect this female from harm. That really was as far as it went in the book, and wasn't mentioned again.

Does this sound familiar to anybody else?

I don't think Marines work with strictly romantic plots because they are asexual creatures, insofar as they have never yet been portrayed as having any sort of sexual or romantic relationships. Any attempt to have a Marine interact with a human in a traditionally romantic way would likely either come off as bad fan fiction, or read more like a boy and his pet. Marines can be fellow soldiers with humans, even affectionate or friendly with humans, but they are so different psychologically (purposefully) that I can't imagine a scenario where a relationship with a non Astartes is likely to be viewed by an Astartes as a relationship of equals. They can respect humans, enjoy their company, and feel kinship, but I personally think that the very training and conditioning that makes them a space marine would preclude them from any relationships of a romantic kind.

It's almost like Tolkien's dwarves. With females being so rare, and your average dwarf not taking a mate, they threw themselves into their work, exploring metallurgy and craft, etc. They found an outlet for their natural, unfulfillable, urges. If (and I believe it's a big if), Astartes still have any sexual urges, I'd imagine they follow a similar lifestyle. Even if not, being unable to reproduce in a traditional sense likely drives many to try to create a legacy, whether in great heroic deeds, feats of warfare, artistry, or tech craft. If they recognize things such as aesthetic beauty (which by all accounts they would, otherwise how could Blood Angels be great artists?), it is very likely thru a nonsexual eye, with an appreciation of things such as grace and physique regardless of specific attractions.

I also wouldn't be surprised if, being effectively asexual, Marines form all sorts of complex relationships with each other to fill those psychological needs for partnership and belonging. Two neophytes who bond thru scouthood and are torn up when they get assigned to different companies. Marines knowing to leave practice cage 6 alone on Tuesdays, because brothers Biff and Bill always practice together there on Tuesdays and get mad if anyone tries to stop them. A squad leader bummed out because his favorite squad mate just got promoted and now they won't see them as much. Lots and lots of nonsexual ways to explore interpersonal relationships of 8' tall killing machines that would likely never be explored, or explored with a very light touch, in an official novel.

A story of a girl in love with two feuding marines, a Space Wolf and a Blood Angel, who happens to have something in her blood that stimulates the Red Thirst, may be a good idea that will draw interest from young readers.

I see what you did there, you cheeky swine. :teehee: