Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New-ish to Warhammer 40k, looking for advice - Eldar

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Cheatle

Cheatle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 20 posts

Hey guys,

So, I posted in the general forums about some armies I got for myself as well as my sister and her husband. I am looking for some advice on the Eldar stuff I got for my sister. This is going to be semi-casual gaming, maybe some matched player later on at the local stores. 

This is what I have so far: 

Start Collecting! Eldar box - x1 Prism Tank, x3 Windriders, x1 Farseer on Windrider
x1 10-Man Eldar Guardian Squad with a heavy support weapon
x1 5-Man Wraithguard/Wraithblade box
x1 Eldar Walker
x1 Warlock with Witch Blade and Shuriken Pistol 

I know this is a pretty small army, do you guys have any suggestions on what to add to this army?

Iron Father Ferrum

Iron Father Ferrum

++ INTERFECTOR PRODITORES ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,210 posts
  • Chapter Name: Iron Hands

The thing that jumps out of at me is the need for a Wave Serpent, the Eldar's primary armored personnel carrier.  They're tough as nails and can carry either your Guardians or the Wraith squad (though the Wraiths are the better bet, so give the Guardian's platform a long-range weapon).  What you've got is good for a small game but if you guys start growing to larger armies and higher point levels, you're going to need more Troops.  I'd recommend a squad of Rangers to start with, and then probably a second squad of Guardians since Dire Avengers are widely considered over-pointed at the moment.

lfvZFVx.jpg

+Corruption of Purpose: Heretic Astartes+

+The Blade Unsheathed: Asuryani+

+AO+ Currently seeking a PhotoShopper to make me a Chaos banner for this signature. +OA+

Cheatle

Cheatle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 20 posts

The thing that jumps out of at me is the need for a Wave Serpent, the Eldar's primary armored personnel carrier.  They're tough as nails and can carry either your Guardians or the Wraith squad (though the Wraiths are the better bet, so give the Guardian's platform a long-range weapon).  What you've got is good for a small game but if you guys start growing to larger armies and higher point levels, you're going to need more Troops.  I'd recommend a squad of Rangers to start with, and then probably a second squad of Guardians since Dire Avengers are widely considered over-pointed at the moment.

Ok so looked over a couple different places, this is what I have so far extra:

x1 5-man Dire Avengers (I know you said they seem over priced)
x1 10-man Guardians w/ Heavy Support
x1 5-man wraith guard
x1 Autarch
x1 War Walker

and I am looking for Wave Serpents, but those seem to be GW exclusive and they are out of them

Grand Master Belial

Grand Master Belial

++ APPARITORIS DESTRICTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,763 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Unforgiven!

If it is Casual gaming, a Falcon can do and "plays as a Wave Serpent" 

Actually looking on the GW Webstore, it is reversed. The Falcon is Out of Stock and the Wave Serpent is in. https://www.games-wo...ve-Serpent-2017

Posted ImagePosted Image

What is the terror of death? That we die, our work incomplete. But what is the joy of life? To die, knowing our task is done.

Differences of the Successors Update Project - AoA - AoR - AoV - Cons - DoC - GotC - AoVig

Brotherhood of the Angels 2012 - 2014 - 2015 - 2016 Legends of the Angels 2015 DA - LA 2016 DA - LA

Cheatle

Cheatle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 20 posts

If it is Casual gaming, a Falcon can do and "plays as a Wave Serpent" 

Actually looking on the GW Webstore, it is reversed. The Falcon is Out of Stock and the Wave Serpent is in. https://www.games-wo...ve-Serpent-2017

They are both out for me!

Grand Master Belial

Grand Master Belial

++ APPARITORIS DESTRICTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,763 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Unforgiven!

What is your location?

Posted ImagePosted Image

What is the terror of death? That we die, our work incomplete. But what is the joy of life? To die, knowing our task is done.

Differences of the Successors Update Project - AoA - AoR - AoV - Cons - DoC - GotC - AoVig

Brotherhood of the Angels 2012 - 2014 - 2015 - 2016 Legends of the Angels 2015 DA - LA 2016 DA - LA

Cheatle

Cheatle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 20 posts

What is your location?

I am in North Carolina, they just emailed me about them being in stock and I checked again.... Waves and Falcons are both out. 

Iron Father Ferrum

Iron Father Ferrum

++ INTERFECTOR PRODITORES ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,210 posts
  • Chapter Name: Iron Hands

The Internet is a wonderful thing.  Ebay, WarStore, Amazon, I guarantee you that someone, somewhere, is selling grav tanks.

• The_Chaplain likes this

lfvZFVx.jpg

+Corruption of Purpose: Heretic Astartes+

+The Blade Unsheathed: Asuryani+

+AO+ Currently seeking a PhotoShopper to make me a Chaos banner for this signature. +OA+

Dr. Clock

Dr. Clock

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 381 posts
  • Chapter Name: Doom Weasels

All the Eldar Grav Tanks are a good buy IMO... Falcon with 5 Avengers inside is a great kiting unit; Serpent full of anything is solid, and the Prism does decent work to get shots down range. The 'one shot' setting is underwhelming though; it's usually statistically better to use the 3-shot against all but the very toughest units.

Remember that our tanks can FLY and therefore shoot after withdrawing, so youcan use them as assault blockers against most light infantry really easily.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

These are the droids we are looking for.

Frater Cornelius

Frater Cornelius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,906 posts
I recommend one Serpent and one Prism in the short run. At later point you may want to look into more Serpents though. You may also consider some Aspect Warriors. Warp Spiders and Fire Dragons are fairly popular. However, those are still resin and fairly old, so not sure if those guys float your boat. If not, then consider more Walkers, Guardian Windriders and Dire Avengers. You definitely want the Plastic Eldrad (from eBay, seeing as he is in a boxed set) and a Farseer on and off a Jetbike.

Be excellent to one another, and lean on your brothers and sisters when your patience grows slim

Karhedronuk

Karhedronuk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 867 posts

You definitely want the Plastic Eldrad (from eBay, seeing as he is in a boxed set) and a Farseer on and off a Jetbike.

Plastic Eldrad is coming stand-alone. Also the 8th edition "start collecting" set looks decent with a Footseer, 5 Wraithguard a Wraithlord and a War Walker.

https://www.warhamme...he-craftworlds/

Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

Frater Cornelius

Frater Cornelius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,906 posts
Yeah, saw it after I posted. Xenos witchcraft is that this is :D

Be excellent to one another, and lean on your brothers and sisters when your patience grows slim

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users