Brother B BA blog!

brother_b

Sternguard look really cool and I may buy some just for the option or maybe a backline babysitting type squad that covers my assault troops. Is the consensus just to leave them with their improved bolters or maybe take a heavy/special weapon?

Sternguard's bolters are adequate in most cases. If you start loading on up on specials or heavies they get expensive quickly and you would probably be better looking at Company Vets or Devastators respectively. Throwing in a Grav Cannon or 2 is tempting as the range and RoF synergises well with the improved bolters but on the whole, more boys, less toys is the way to go with Sternguard.

My BA Tacticals are older models and are fairly plain, I know you are a returning player so the same may be true for you. In that case, you may find that the current BA tactical squad with its shiny armour, tabards and Blood drops everywhere looks sufficiently elite to count as Sternguard just by painting the helmets gold. Just an option if you want to get a full 10-man squad cheaply.

Those scouts look great! Re: sternguard I feel that stormbolters are a better option than special issue boltguns. It gives them a wide range of effectiveness against a large variety of enemies and only start being worse than SIB at heavy infantry type enemies, and those are better shot off the board by plasma, autocannons, etc. imo anyway. I generally like having weight of dice, I feel like it helps lead to less dramatic damage swings for better or worse.

Bremon makes a good point about Stormbolters. Double the RoF is statistically better than AP-2 against pretty much everything except TEQs (or MEQs in cover) and plasma is probably a better choice for these targets anyway.

But that does involve finding a pile of storm bolters from somewhere. :wink:

So I'll probably get a squad of 5 Sternguard. My options would be 5 AP-2 bolter shots at 30", 10 at 15". Or 10 storm bolter shots at 24", 20 shots at 12".

This is with no other goodies added to the mix in the form of special weapons/heavy weapons. Depending on how motivated I get magnetizing might be an option.

Not sure what looks better to me. I'm just as likely to run into a guard/ork list in our area as a Tau/CSM list.

Until you're up against terminators the stormbolters shine; they tie against Tac marines and anything that doesn't take full advantage of the SIB AP is wasted. That said, SIB do get a cool stratagem, and I'm also likely to magnetize. Miniatures are too expensive, time consuming, and have too many spare parts not to keep your options open.

Well I just checked the photo and it's pretty bad! Just motivating myself so posting some work on this next assault marine. You can't really see any of the highlights for the red armor, I'll get a photo when he's done. I'm moving on to the yellow helmet next, then finally highlights for the black and finishing off touches like the frag grenades, base, etc.

med_gallery_101149_13675_164553.jpg

I'll call this done. Still getting my flow back. I haven't been thinning my paints enough and it was hard for me to highlight that yellow. Overall I'm happy with the result it's always nice to have painted minis on the table.

This guy is magnetized and the jump/regular packs will be finished in due time. Four more to go and I complete my vow!

med_gallery_101149_13675_229253.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all just a quick update. I played my first real game of 8th with BA yesterday vs. the diabolical traitorous forces of Chaos. In the end it was a 5th turn victory for the BA! I'll put up a list and some photos (Battlereport?) later when I get the chance.

Was great fun, and definitely a motivating force towards more painting/building of my forces.

I'll leave with a photo of some of my scouts and a chaplain trying to hold an objective. What isn't show in the slow approach of chaos marines and khorne berserkers!

med_gallery_101149_13675_224979.jpg

++++++ Incoming data thread, transmission, scout Sgt. Garaphus.

----- "Objectives held, traitor legions advancing, for Sanguinius and the Emperor! Move up the support, they've got a vile hellbrute, and... a DEMON..."

The inside of the Razorback was swathed in red lighting, casting everything in a familiar, comforting red glow. The compartment was filled with the sound of the engine humming as the chassis bucked over the broken ground.

... "Prince" finished Mephiston, opening his eyes. He had already sensed the presence of the beast. Around him sat five brothers, wearing the black armor of the death company. Where their rage had slowly, inexorably grown in the hours leading up to the battle now there was only calm. He soothed them, Mephiston thought, but that would change. Soon their wrath would be released on the traitors that had sown the Rage so many years before.

---------------------------------------------

So, the battle.

My forces:

HQ Mephiston- Warlord +1 A on charge

HQ Jump pack chaplain

Troops

10 X sniper scout, sgt. with sniper rifle

5 X melee scout, sgt. with bolter/chainsword

5 X shotgun scout, sgt. with bolter/chainsword (so I guess actually 4 shotguns).

Heavy

5 X Devastator (2 las, 2 plasma, sgt. with combi plasma)

1 X Cherubin

Fast

Baal predator

5 X Assault marines, jump packs, 2x melta, sgt. with plasma pistol/chainsword

5 X Assault marines, jump packs, 2x melta, sgt. with bolter/power axe

Elites

5 X DC, thunderhammer, 2x power sword, 2x chainsword; all bolt pistols.

Dedicated transport

Razorback with twin linked las, storm bolter.

Yeah, that was 75 PL.

Chaos, will just list.

HQ Chaos demon prince- warlord 6+ FNP

9 khorne beserkers, aspiring champion

Rhino transport for above

10x chaos space marines, plasma gun, missile launcher

5x havocs (erm, jump CSM?) with 2x melta guns.

7-9 blood letters with icon

10 cultists

3x bikers with melta guns

5x chaos space marines, missile launcher

Helbrute with fist and multi melta.

Maulerfiend.

We played big guns never tire and had the corner deployment. I picked a corner with good terrain coverage and a place to put my snipers and devastators in high ground. My assault marines and chaplain started off the table. My Razorback had the DC and mephiston.

med_gallery_101149_13675_302214.jpg

I infiltrated my sniper scouts to the high ground in cover next to an objective, my shotgun scouts next to another objective near the landing pad (where another objective was located), and my melee scouts to a building holding the final objective.

Chaos deployed along the other quadrant, with his cultists and blood letters, along with maulerfiend, threatening my right flank, and the rhino with beserkers prepared to challenge the far objective.

Initial turns:

The game started out great for the Blood Angels. Deadly shooting reduced the bloodletters to a mere 3 models and killed all of the cultists. The Baal predator and snipers paid dividends. The maulerfiend was targeted by the devastators who started to cut wounds off the beast. Unfortunately chaos rolled a 1 for the bloodletters leadership, meaning 3 more tore from the warp, summoned by the bloodshed!

The assault marines set down behind the chaos rhino and the first two melta shots destroyed the vehicle (I rolled 11 for wounds!). Two berserkers were immolated in the destruction of the vehicle, but the other 7 and the aspiring champion emerged unscathed. The plasma sgt. was able to kill another berserker with a well placed pistol shot.

Chaos responded by charging the assault marines. In the ensuing melee and overwatch phase the assault marines sold their lives dearly, defeating another berserker but they melted under the weight of the berserkers. Khorne laughed on his throne as the valiant assault Blood Angels died to a man.

Middle turns: The fight focused around the middle objective. The havocs leapt into action, blasting holes out of the Baal predator and reducing it's effectiveness.

The big fight culminated in the shadow of the landing pad. The DC leapt from the Razorback with Mephiston and engaged the bikers as the helbrute and Demon Prince advanced. The shotgun scouts also joined the fight. The DC were unable to deal much damage to the bikers, as only one fell, even though they were blessed by Mephiston with the spell that adds +1 attack. Mephiston showed off the other bikers, killing them.

The ensuing charge by the helbrute and demon prince decimated the DC, killing them to the man. The scouts faired as bad, with only the sgt. still alive.

-------------------------------------------------

The demon prince laughed, "For Khorne!" as he slaw the last Death Company marine. He gazed down at the lone Blood Angel scout, standing defiant in front of the helbrute, chainsword whirring and popping loudly. The demon prince sensed something, and spun around. From the darkness stalked a figure, the wreckage of the chaos bikers behind him. Wielding a resplendent blade Mephiston locked eyes with the demon prince.

And in that instant, the demon prince felt something it had never experienced before, in all it's aeons of existence. It felt... fear.

------------------------------------------------

In a glorious round of combat Mephiston dispatched both the Helbrute and Demon prince! He advanced towards the landing pad, where an objective was being contested by the remaining blood letters. The scout sgt. quickly made his way back towards a different objective.

med_gallery_101149_13675_370159.jpg

Final Turns:

The devestator squad finished off the maulerfiend right after it destroyed the Baal predator, scoring big guns never tire points. The melee scouts and chaplain died fighting but not before killing the small squad of 5 chaos marines. The remaining khorne berserkers finished the scout and chaplain, and took an objective. The scout snipers peppered the larger squad of chaos marines and blood letters moving towards the center objective.

The razorback finally was destroyed by the last havoc, before he too was gunned down. Mephiston set his eyes on the landing pad, and cast shield of Sanguinius, committing himself to the objective.

---------------------------------------

Mephiston ran towards the center of the landing pad, securing it would ensure victory and allow the continued invasion of the planet. Suddenly bolter shells began pinging against his ancient armor, and he could feel his psychic barrier beginning to falter and rupture against the onslaught of fire power. He had drawn the attention of the remaining traitorous marines.

"Father Sanguinius, I shall see you soon" said Mephiston, closing his eyes. At that moment the traitor plasma gunner drew a bead on the Chief Librarian, and squeezed softly on the trigger...

-------------------------------------

Mephiston was laid low by the brutal firepower of the plasma gunner and remaining chaos marines. As turn 5 drew to an end I had depleted the chaos forces and still had a powerful firebase of 5 devastators, 10 snipers, and a single scout sgt. I also had 2 objectives firmly in hand, had scored first blood, slay the commander (?), and big guns never tire.

I rolled to end the game and a 1 appeared on the dice.

Victory to the Blood Angels, but at what cost?

----------------------------------------

A lone figure limped back towards the Blood Angels rear lines. Brother scout Levius raised his sniper rifle.

"Wait" said Sniper Sgt. Pelos. "It's brother sgt. Dominus".

As Dominus approached the lines he noted the snipers and devastators had formed a new defensive position. They gazed at Dominus, assessing his gore-splattered weapons.

"Where is he?" said Pelos.

Dominus knew the question was about Mephiston.

"Gone".

"What? Those bastards!" shouted Pelos, who whirled towards the Devastator squad. "Drop your heavy weapons, we must move quickly. They've taken the Chief Librarian's body".

"NO" said Dominus sharply. Pelos spun around, his face revealing anger and confusion.

"The traitors have retired from the field. He's gone. His body is gone. They did not take him".

Pelos nodded. "He will return brothers", he said, fixing the gaze of each remaining Blood Angel in turn.

"Now, secure these buildings. The first guardsmen will be landing within the hour".

-------------------------------------------

Comments on the game:

Was a blast. We both had fun.

I'm a huge nerd, I'm glad I'm back.

DC: Well, they were my most expensive unit and did squat. I know I threw them up against the wrong kind of targets, but that's the only option I had and I needed to engage the helbrute, bikers, and prince. Had I got them into the CSM, bloodletters, or even berserkers I think they would have done better.

Scouts: I love them. I got to set them up in perfect position to grab 3 objectives. The snipers did well, scoring probably 5-6 mortal wounds and thinning the herd throughout the battle. They weren't targeted as their saves were 2+ in cover. I'll probably add a missile launcher scout to give them more options. I'll also convert a combi flamer sgt. for my shotgun scouts.

Devastators: I didn't ever overchage the plasma, using my signum on a las cannon to ensure constant las cannon hits. I may remove them for two more las cannons or maybe missile launchers. I'm not sure.

Mephiston: The man, the myth. He was awesome, he handed out some smites, did some buffing, and was a beast.

Baal: Did it's job thinning out the hordes. With my bolter/assault cannon loadout he really suffered when hard targets (maulerfiend) showed up.

Razorback: Twin las cannons, handed out some wounds and got my guys into combat. These things are so cheap and so amazing.

Assault marines: A great way to get those melta guns into combat. I wish I had placed my other squad in a better position. As it was, I popped the rhino first turn from one squad of meltas. I could have targetted the prince or something else had I placed my 2nd squad in a better position. I'll probably make another squad but with magents for plasma/meltagun. Not sure about throwing flamers on them.

Anyway, hope you all enjoyed.

++++++ Incoming data thread, transmission, Brother Chaplain Ventus

--- They're retiring, hold your position, hold your position they may be gathering for another push.

--- Devastator Sgt. Turrin here, we've got you covered. Where are the scouts? The assault squad is down, we don't have the scouts.

--- I copy you Sgt., they are forward of my last mark, ingressing now. Hold your position and await Brother Librarian Deltos' arrival.

------------------------------------------

And as the last crackle of transmission echoed through Sgt. Turrin's vox buds he caught movement from the horizon and the steady blast of a jump pack as the Librarian descended through the dusk towards his position.

------------------------------------------

Another hard fought battle today against IG. Here's the bloody survivor of the left flank, capturing the ridgeline (and objective). More to follow...

med_gallery_101149_13675_553039.jpg

As a side note, running casualties for the Blood Angels, last two games:

15 Assault marines (including 3 sgts.)

5 Death Company

12 scouts (5 hand to hand, 7 shotgun- including one sgt.)

Baal Predator

2 Razorbacks

Mephiston (though his body was not recovered on the field of battle)

1 Chaplain

The fourth company will soon have to call upon reserves for it's assault marines.

A quick run down of the battle I mentioned up above.

We played a 35 power level game. It was my friend's first game of 8th and first game in a long time. He has a pretty neat Guard army with lots of conversions. He has many Valhallan models so we chose that as his army.

Lists:

Blood Angels

1X librarian with jump pack (warlord)

1X chaplain

5 X scouts (4 with shotgun, 1 with bolter/chainsword)

5 X devastators (2 X las cannon, 2 X plasma cannon)

Razorback with twin las cannon

5 X assault marines (2 melta, sgt. with chainsword/plasma pistol)

Guard:

Tank commander (vanquisher tank- not sure why he took this)

Company commander (warlord)

40X infantry (4 squads) with various heavy weapons teams including lascannon, heavy bolters.

3 X ogryn (1 sgt,)

2 X scout sentinels

1 X armored sentinel

We played an objective grabbing game, with points for linebreaker, first blood, slay the warlord. We didn't have our full table and actually played on a 72" x 30" fold out table. We rolled and game edge was longways, meaning we only had 3 " to set up and were extremely close to one another.

I set up my Devs in a small copse of trees. My shotgun scouts and chaplain were in the razorback. The assault marines and librarian were in flight.

He set up basically all along the whole edge. My right flank had two infantry squads and the ogryns. The center had 2 scout sentinels, 1 infantry squad, and the company commander. My left flank had the vanquisher, armored sentinel, and 1 infantry squad. There were so many damn guard!

med_gallery_101149_13675_497968.jpg

First turns- I started out and began blasting at both the vanquisher with las cannons from my dev squad, and his infantry squads with my plasma cannons. My razorback stayed put and lent its fire to the attack on the tank. I kept my reserves off the board for now as there was no where to land them without exposing them to heavy firepower.

The guard player decided to stay back, which played into my strengths as my devs were in cover and had a consistent 2+ save vs. his incoming fire. I maintained fire on his lines, dropping some infantry and knocking wounds off his warlord tank.

med_gallery_101149_13675_642860.jpg

Mid turns: The guard finally began to move, with all of his units cautiously moving forward. Well, all but the ogryns who began to advance towards the dev squad. In return for their efforts an overchargd plasma cannon shot dropped one to the ground. In the center, his warlord pushed his unit forward towards an objective sitting on a ridgeline. The sentinels dropped into cover and trained their auto cannons on the razorback.

The left flank also advanced, with the vanquisher pumping shots into the razorback. The sentinel and infantry squad were ineffective as their fire ripped apart the copse of trees the devastators were using as cover.

med_gallery_101149_13675_187179.jpg

A view from the valiant Grey Angels devastator squad location. You can see they're also holding an objective.

med_gallery_101149_13675_212779.jpg

I moved my razorback forward as it began to suffer from the fire it was taking. The scouts and chaplain disembarked onto the ridgeline and confronted the advancing company commander and infantry squad. At the same time I dropped in my assault squad and librarian as they finally had an opening. The melta marines squared up and promptly missed both shots at the vanquisher, which only had a hand full of wounds left. Unfortunately, it was Valhallan so wasn't reduced completely.

The scouts unloaded on the infantry squad, killing two guardsmen. The captain threw a frag grenade which killed 4 guardsmen in the single best display of frag grenade goodness I've ever witnessed. They then charged down the ravine towards the remaining guardsmen. The company commander and warlord standing resolute behind his soldiers.

Trooper Gregor raised his melta gun as he saw the advancing marines. "These, then, are the Angels of Death" he thought to himself as he sighted down his weapon. "On Valhalla we are warriors too, and our ancestors await". Trooper Gregor fired a single blast that dropped a scout just as the marines crashed into the guardsmen. Trooper Gregor, and his comrades, died to a man. The scouts then consolidated into the warlord!

The assault marines were able to charge the warlord, and finished him off in bloody hand to hand fighting.

On the right, the razorback was finally destroyed, and cursory fire directed at the assault marines dropped two more Blood Angels. The assault marines jumped away from the center, and set their sights at destroying the Vanquisher and shoring up the left flank. With a combination of las cannon fire, smite, and blood boil the Vanquisher was destroyed. Unfortunately I had moved the assault marines into close range for their melta guns and the vanquisher promptly exploded, killing the remaining 3 assault marines!

The last 3 scouts also advanced, firing their shotguns and grenades at the infantry squad. The armored sentinel was killed by a well placed bolter shot from the Chaplain, and promptly blew up, slaying one of the scouts! The heck?!

med_gallery_101149_13675_628293.jpg

The bloody fight for the left flank.

med_gallery_101149_13675_404790.jpg

And just as suddenly as the fight had taken place, the guard melted back into the dusk, leaving their dead and wounded on the field of battle. Victory had come for the Blood Angels, scoring linebreaker, first blood, and holding 3 of the 4 objectives.

In reality my buddy had to leave, so we called it at that time and counted points. I can say with 100% certainty had the game gone on my right and center would have been swept away by weight of bodies alone. Also, my friend played very cautiously and could have been up in my grill by the second turn, engaging my dev squad in hand to hand which would have led to the destruction of my forces.

Great game, very fun. The guard are amazing, their codex looks nice too. Unit of the match goes to the scouts, and hero of the match goes to the brave scout sgt. and new reigning champion of frag-grenade throwing.

Had a battle against Eldar. I posted in that thread, it was an odd game. 7 models on the board including 2 bonesingers, a wraith knight and 4 medium sized wraiths.

Total losses included a DC dread that got punted fighting against the wraithknight, as well as the Dev squad Sgt. Who would have known being a dev Sgt. would be such a dangerous posting!

Anyway, running casualties (new in red):

15 Assault marines (including 3 sgts.)

5 Death Company

12 scouts (5 hand to hand, 7 shotgun- including one sgt.)

Baal Predator

2 Razorbacks

1 Chaplain

1 DC dreadnought

1 Dev (Sgt.)

Just a couple of work in progress. Again, bad photos but keeps me motivated. I actually hate building the models. I'm all thumbs and it just takes too much time.

I have been running without a captain since starting. I wanted somebody that would be able to ride in rhinos/razorbacks or hang out with the dev squads and be a rear line menace.

I chose to make my captain with a power sword and combi plasma. I was going to model him with his power sword raised and holding his combi plasma with a bent elbow kind of cradling it to his body. Instead I choose to make it a little more dynamic (as dynamic as someone with my skill can make).

I have the captain urging his troops forward but he's turned just as a(n) _______ (insert Ork, gaunt, cultist, heretic) has jumped towards him. With no time to act he punches out his combi bolter and goes all 1-handed bad assery.

I also started my first tactical squad. I am going to go full beaky on this squad. It's a throw back to the start of my hobby days.

I still need to drill out the barrels on the captain, I've already done it for the tac marine.

Cheers!

med_gallery_101149_13675_46169.jpg

med_gallery_101149_13675_202731.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, I just posted my finished squad over at Rage to Salvation. Whew was fun, I've been done a while, just haven't posted the photos. I've got quite a bunch of stuff ready to go, too. In fact...

I've got 4 dreads, plus one to build:

2 X furioso (1 with firsts, 1 with frag, I'll build another frag arm too)

1 X multimelta dread

1 X metal fist dread.

1 X unbuilt BA dread. I've put an offer for a DC dread on ebay, and will most likely build my on-the-sprue dread into a librarian.

I really want to unleash a full dread detachment. I'm not sure how good it will be, especially as they're mostly close combat. I'm probably going to add some other dreads with las cannons/assault cannons so I can have an assortment on the table. And when I finally get a stormraven I'll have options galore!

Cheers!

Wow, had a hell of a game today. Maelstrom of war against a proper IG army. They had so many models, so many tanks, and a flyer. It was brutal. The game ended turn 3 when I conceded. I had a blast, though, it just showed me what a powerful shooty tank and infantry army looked like. I also wanted to try out assassins and they are mean, but not when used the way I did, which was piecemeal against hard targets.

Anyway, running casualties as usual. New additions in red. It was an especially bloody day for the 10th Company.

20 Assault marines 5 this game including 1 sgt.

5 Death Company

32 scouts 20 this game including 3 sgts.

5 Devastators 4 this game including 1 sgt.

Baal Predator

3 Razorbacks 1 this game

1 Chaplain

1 apothecary

Inquisitor Greyfax

2 Eversor assassins

1 Callidus assassin

1 DC dreadnought

This is what happens when you're a bad ass:

med_gallery_101149_13675_587489.jpg

Just a work in progress shot of my terminator chaplain, Brother Venatos.

There were soooo many Capt. Karlen (sp?) running around that I felt I just needed to do something else with that model. So I decided to do a very low-key conversion and came up with my chaplain! I can't wait to get him up and running with a squad of assault terminators. That's a long ways away I think, unfortunately.

med_gallery_101149_13675_477493.jpg

That is gonna be nice, I like it !

Assault Termies are easy to flip past in the index, but do some real work when they connect still. Chaplains are special sauce for sure *nod.

I was looking at a termie character off and on just to squeeze in those wee gaps that don't always get closed in the opponents screen.

Usually end up cutting em as the list develops it seems, but I think the idea is decent still.

Your great idea has inspired me.

Might make meself another termie librarian or something.

Where's my bits box...

Where is my Sanguinary Priest in termie armour entry GW ??

grubble grubble.

That is gonna be nice, I like it !

Assault Termies are easy to flip past in the index, but do some real work when they connect still. Chaplains are special sauce for sure *nod.

I was looking at a termie character off and on just to squeeze in those wee gaps that don't always get closed in the opponents screen.

Usually end up cutting em as the list develops it seems, but I think the idea is decent still.

Your great idea has inspired me.

Might make meself another termie librarian or something.

Where's my bits box...

Where is my Sanguinary Priest in termie armour entry GW ??

grubble grubble.

That would be something for sure, Sang Priest Termie!

I'm holding back on making the termie squad right now because I have so many other basics to make, including at least 1 tac squad, my DC, and my other assault squad.

I'm realling considering putting them into a land raider as the best way to get them into combat. Unless, of course, we get something to power them in from the codex!

• 2 weeks later...

I've repeatedly said I'm not a fan of primaris. However, now that we've seen they've got the red thirst, and that our other units are featured prominently in the codex, I feel a bit different.

I'm not entirely happy with the lore, I'm not entirely trusting that they won't replace my real marines down the line. I'm a little like Seth with this one. That being said, they're going to provide a damn good fire base for the rest of the army.

Good enough for Dante, good enough for me!

med_gallery_101149_13675_422201.jpg

Archived