Brother B BA blog!

brother_b

Yeah I hear ya on Primaris Marines I really do.

Looking awesome painted up tho.
Stealing that different face mask color idea if/when I ever buy some. =)

Gonna hold off and decide how I like them in the lore in the new codex next week.

Yeah, I have 5 of these guys I picked up. I may add another 5. I'm going to run the basic plasma incinerator or whatever, instead of the heavy version. The damage won't be good enough to put down heavy armor (or the like), but can take out heavy infantry and knock off the occasional wound on transports.

Getting closer to finishing this squad. I need one more, he's almost done.

med_gallery_101149_13675_91405.jpg

After doing all this painting (which has been a lot for me), I realized that I haven't painted ANY Blood Angel specific figures in years and years. Even then I only completed a few.

I am going to do some serious work on a five man DC and a 5 man SG unit as soon as I've finished these Hellblasters and two more scouts.

In the mean time, I'll continue to work on building my first tactical squad. That'll give me the option of fielding 2 full scout squads and a MSU tac squad for my troops. I've also got my foot captain/Lt. to think about, plus a boat-load of dreadnoughts!

Oh man, I really need an airbrush for basecoating. Maybe Santa-Wife will be good to me this year? (Honey if you're reading this you're always good to me. An airbrush means less time in the man cave and more time doing your bidding).

<coughs> Anyway, cheers!

Ugh, just noticed I need to finish that base!

Okay, and done with the first hellblaster squad. I've got another 5 waiting to be primed, they've got some Blood Angels iconography too.

med_gallery_101149_13675_610300.jpg

Now to decide on my next project. I already posted about not having any real "BA" specific squads. I'm going to change that by putting together some DC. I think a 10 man squad will do well, with a variety of weapons. I'll probably model on some Bolt guns so they can have those as well as melee weapons.

On a side note, my local game store already had the codex in hand. I preordered mine and am still waiting.

Also, the codex cost .01 cent less than at the GW site. =/

• 2 weeks later...

Well, back with a tiny update. I've finished my first tactical marine. Why a tactical marine and not the remaining two close combat scouts, or some DC like I said I wanted to do, or my foot captain?

Yeah I don't know.

Anyway, here he is. Once the sand is dry I'll finish his base and be done with him, ready for the next miniature.

med_gallery_101149_13675_139868.jpg

I'm basically horrible at taking pictures.

med_gallery_101149_13675_570683.jpg

I've also started on a second Hellblaster squad with proper Blood Angels accoutrements. They've got assault plasma guns. I figure I can run them anyway I want, especially if I want to field a 10 man plasma incinerator squad along with the first batch I painted up.

Don't mind the Sanguinor's wing. He'll be fine.

med_gallery_101149_13675_65002.jpg

Okay. Based. Finished. The lone tactical marine.

med_gallery_101149_13675_60172.jpg

I just started working on 10 DC with jump packs. Lemartes (in metal) is awaiting some pinning before I get him basecoated. I've also got my DC dread, SG, and of course my poor forlorn scout squad in the queue. So much stuff, ugh. I feel good completing even this one miniature though.

My next mini, however, will be foot captain/Lt. Pictures to come soon, hopefully I can get some more painting done this week.

Also, the next match will probably be team players, two Imperium vs. two chaos. I'm not sure if we'll face a Khorne/Nurgle attack, or just pure death guard. It's going to be gnarley either way. My allies will be the honorable crusading Black Templars with perhaps some sisters or Inquisition along for the ride.

Cheers!

Well finished this guy. He'll play foot captain or Lt.

med_gallery_101149_13675_111346.jpg

med_gallery_101149_13675_105722.jpg

It feels good to finish this up. I've got a really hard decision now. My brain tells me to get some more line troops done. My heart tells me to work on my DC Captain.

Follow your heart they say.

For Sanguinius!

Good job. He can really use a gorget to protect his neck, but I understand if you're reluctant to risk damaging that beautifully assembled and painted model with kitbashed additions.

Yeah I guess that would have helped him, I just don't plan on him letting any orks or Khorne zerkers have that first shot at his neck!

• 2 weeks later...

We're in the middle of a very tough fight, having put the game on hold.

Mephiston, recently recovered after suffering grievous wounds battling a chaos incursion in the Farion Cluster, has been dispatched to a distress signal prior to returning to battle. Accompanied by a strike force of marines, Mephiston has landed on an outlier planet in the Ixes VII system.

To the horror of the Blood Angels, the tendrils of Hive Fleet Gorgon have begun to envelop the habitable planets in the system, pitting the avenging angels of the Imperium vs. the voracious appetite of the hive...

Battle report to follow when done. It's been my first game with the new codex. I've been confused by all my options and have screwed up/forgotten many things. That being said, IT'S AWESOME!

med_gallery_101149_13675_404265.jpg

Mephiston comes to the aid of a squad of embattled scouts.

On a side note, that scout Sgt. is something of a stud, having survived the attacks of a deamon prince and hell brute one battle. He is going to get a nice little bit of converting and painting.

More to follow!

Well, battle finally finished and victory to the Blood Angels against a very scary Hive Fleet Gorgon! It was a brutal game to be sure, time to update casualties! I probably took out 60 some small creatures on foot (hoof? claw?) and wing, two large beasts (venomthrope thingy and a cannon creature), a swarm lord, brood lord, genestealers, 6 tyranid warriors, and a mawlock

My casualties:

26 Assault marines 6 this game including 1 sgt.

5 Death Company

38 scouts 6 this game including 1 sgt.

5 Devastators

6 Primaris Intercessors 6 this game including 1 sgt.

5 Hellblasters 5 this game including 1 sgt.

Baal Predator

4 Razorbacks 1 this game

Mephiston x 2 fell in battle vs. the brood lord

2 Chaplain 1 this game

1 apothecary

1 DC dreadnought

Inquisitor Greyfax

2 Eversor assassins

1 Callidus assassin

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The scouts had exited their transport and made their way through the now abandoned refinery, wary of any movement, but nothing stirred. Not the wind, nor native fauna.

Not a thing. In front of them, under the shadow of the refinery catwalk sat a mass; it was purple, and seeped a viscous fluid that was slowly pooling around the crater it had made when it impacted. It had come in at an angle and plowed into the ground, subsequently releasing it's vile cargo.

"Squad Secundus" crackled Captain Lazario's voice over Sgt. Fostus' earbud.

"Captain" said Sgt. Fostus, motioning the other scouts to take a defensive position in the cover of the refinery. "The Chief Librarian's suspicions have proven correct. THEY are here."

In the distance Fostus could see the burning hulk of a downed Stormraven, it's emergency beacon having brought the Blood Angels strike cruiser "Vengeance of Sanguinius" to the planet. Something shifted in the shadows of the refinery, an undulating mass of movement approaching quickly. Too quickly thought Fostus.

"Incoming targets, 500 marks and closing fast. Request air support and deployment of forward elements. The enemy is upon us, Sanguinius protects." said Fostus, turning to his recruits.

"Ready yourselves, brothers. The Great Devour is upon us".

med_gallery_101149_13675_497304.jpg

Full battle report to follow.

Did you enjoy using that Inquisitorial detachment? I had a very similar idea for my army, Greyfax, 2 Eversors and a Culexus instead of Callidus. Would be great to hear some feedback on how they performed for you in your games. I did some testing with Eversor this month and he seems like a steal for 70 points. 2 Eversors and a DoA TH Captain seem to have a great disruption/alpha strike potential.

In all honesty I played horribly. Charged tanks with assassins, left my Greyfax open to deepstrike, left assassins out in open.

I'll give them another run but really that game they underperformed because I underperformed. I love =][= models and lore. They will always have a place in my army because of that, just not every time.

What I do know is that assassins are huge distraction points and can mulch troops and second tier characters no problem.

I know it might not be that important but do you feel an Inqusitorial Detachment fits BA in terms of theme and fluff? Sure, we're not DA/SW or some similar almost loyalist chapters but we're not BT either :smile.:

I think the "right" inquisitor would work wonderfully. The right inquisitor knowing that the Sons of Sanguinius are beacons of honor and loyalty in the grim-dark future.

I'm pretty sure not everybody in the Inquisition feels that way about the Blood Angels, though.

I plan to make my own inquisitor down the line who will have a history of assisting the Blood Angels during different operations. "Head canon" I think it's called. My own history of my minis/40k world.

;)

I know it might not be that important but do you feel an Inqusitorial Detachment fits BA in terms of theme and fluff? Sure, we're not DA/SW or some similar almost loyalist chapters but we're not BT either :)

Does for me - 5th co designated as daemonbanes was part of why I picked the company when starting BA. I’ve had a bunch of oldskool metal GK and thought they’d fit well.

Tycho can have his orks - the black drop will take the daemons :-)

I know it might not be that important but do you feel an Inqusitorial Detachment fits BA in terms of theme and fluff? Sure, we're not DA/SW or some similar almost loyalist chapters but we're not BT either :smile.:

Does for me - 5th co designated as daemonbanes was part of why I picked the company when starting BA. I’ve had a bunch of oldskool metal GK and thought they’d fit well.

Tycho can have his orks - the black drop will take the daemons :-)

Here here!

Hey brother! How do you do your gold? Specifically th gold SG posted in the other thread about primaris sizes.

Thanks!

That's just the base of retributor armor/retributor gold. I've then washed it with successive coats of agrax + sepia + reiland. I'll then highlight up from there.

Why the crazy amount of washes? I don't know, just was washing til I got the deep shade I felt satisfied with.

Battle report from the other week. The game was place 6 objectives, and then on turn 3 roll for the real objectives, having 2 that would remain, the others being discarded.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The scouts had exited their transport and made their way through the now abandoned refinery, wary of any movement, but nothing stirred. Not the wind, nor native fauna.

Not a thing. In front of them, under the shadow of the refinery catwalk sat a mass; it was purple, and seeped a viscous fluid that was slowly pooling around the crater it had made when it impacted. It had come in at an angle and plowed into the ground, subsequently releasing it's vile cargo.

"Squad Secundus" crackled Captain Lazario's voice over Sgt. Fostus' earbud.

"Captain" said Sgt. Fostus, motioning the other scouts to take a defensive position in the cover of the refinery. "The Chief Librarian's suspicions have proven correct. THEY are here."

In the distance Fostus could see the burning hulk of a downed Stormraven, it's emergency beacon having brought the Blood Angels strike cruiser "Vengeance of Sanguinius" to the planet. Something shifted in the shadows of the refinery, an undulating mass of movement approaching quickly. Too quickly thought Fostus.

"Incoming targets, 500 marks and closing fast. Request air support and deployment of forward elements. The enemy is upon us, Sanguinius protects." said Fostus, turning to his recruits.

"Ready yourselves, brothers. The Great Devour is upon us".

med_gallery_101149_13675_497304.jpg

My forces-

Mephiston

JP captain with powersword (shoulda been relic) and combi plasma, artisan of war (on plasma), artifact JP

1 squad hellblasters

2 squad intercessors

2 squad scouts (1 cc, 1 shotgun)

1 assault squad on foot (2x melta, sgt. plasma gun)

1 assault squad JP (2x melta, sgt. power axe)

Baal predator

Stormraven

DC dread (rar!)

Chaplain

1 squad SG (4; 3 sword, 1 axe, angelus guns)

Razorback with lascannons

Nids (scree scree hiss!):

Probably... 60 ground mini critters, 20 flying mini critters

2 x 3 tyranid warriors

8 genestealers

swarmlord

broodlord

crazy burrowing guy

tentacle beast

living cannon thingy

flying hive tyrant

----------------------------------------------------------------

The battlefield consisted of an old refinery type set up with walkways/buildings in front, a tower or high piece of scenery in each rear zone, and some other smaller pieces of scenery including nid pod thingies and storage containers.

I set up my scouts forward, JP captain, razorback, 5 intercessors on right flank. The other 5 intercessors and Baal predator on my left flank. The hellblasters were placed in a tower, overlooking the battlefield from the left flank. The JP assault marines, and SG were awaiting deployment in the clouds. The stormraven holding an assault squad, chaplain, DC dread, and Mephiston was placed on the right flank.

Across from me where literally what looked like a horde of creatures; a bunch of gaunts and warriors on my right, and some big creatures on the left with another horde of mini creatures and some tyranid warriors. Finally, he had another group of shooty gaunts in his backfield along with tentacle dude. Off the table he had the mawlock, flying gaunts, and his hive tyrant. Finally, his genestealers and brood lord (big genestealer?) were positioned mid/right out of LOS.

med_gallery_101149_13675_681892.jpg

The left flank, intercessors stalk forward suppored by the Baal.

med_gallery_101149_13675_71969.jpg

I got first turn and started by advancing my stormraven aggressively towards the rear of my enemy's lines, along the right flank. My scouts who deployed there held strong near an objective. My other units moved a little bit, angling to get shots on target. My stormraven, intercessors, and Baal absolutely pummeled his lines, thinning out the hordes but I was amazed how many were still left. They also didn't suffer morale as the hive mind commanded the creatures onwards.

His first turns he popped the mawloc right next to my razorback and JP captain, dropped 20 or so flying gaunts behind me, as well as his hive tyrant. This is probably the 3rd game where I just left my rear deployment zone open. I have not yet learned and could probably add some backfield bolter/sniper scouts to keep it locked. His shooting didn't do much, but the mawloc caused 3 mortal wounds on my captain!

Attack of the freaking mawloc!

med_gallery_101149_13675_147597.jpg

Mid turns:

His beasties charged me, taking the fight to the scouts and intercessors on the right, as his flying gaunts, hive tyrant, and mawloc tied up my captain and razorback. My storm raven started to roll through his backfield, dropping the DC dread and mephiston along the right flank before turning and spraying down more of his creatures. His swarmlord, brood lord, and genestealers got ever closer while mephiston and the DC dread, along with the salty shotgun scouts took down the right flank gaunts and tyranid warriors. Concentrated firepower dropped most of the genestealers as they clambered over the the walkways of the refinery.

I used the stratagem that allowed my JP captain to redepoly deep into the enemy's back field as my assault marines dropped in to hammer his large creatures. At the same time my intercessors beat down his flying guants in close combat, proving their worth as true heir's to Sanguinius' legacy (that +1 to wound, WOW). The flyrant attacked my hellblasters, they were very ineffective this game, being misused by me with bad placement.

Late turns:

---------------------------------------------------

Sgt. Fostus watched as the swarm of tyranids got ever closer, behind them, looming twice as tall as a regular man, stalked a massive creature, twin bone swords gripped in it's claws.

"Now!" shouted Fostus, as he motioned the other scouts forward. Then it was there.

Forstus looked up as the beast charged, noting how time slowed as he focused on the glowing eyes, the dripping maw, and high pitched thrum that seemed to emanate from the creature.

Fostus' last thoughts were of victory, and the hope that a blessed Sanguinary Priest would be able to retrieve the progenoid glands from his body.

------------------------------------------------------

The left flank was lost, the Flyrant destroying my hell blasters as the swarm of gaunts, and swarmlord cleared out the intercessors and scouts. The intercessor sgt. proved a thorn in the side of the tyranids, killing and shooting 5-6 gaunts before being laid low by the swarm lord. The swarm lord then turned, and began moving back towards his own lines in search of more prey.

med_gallery_101149_13675_110971.jpg

My drop squad and captain slowly cleared the tyranid back lines, even though I whiffed horribly on my melta shots (1 damage each). With support of the stormraven they were able to take the 2nd objective. I now held both objectives as the game wound down.

med_gallery_101149_13675_11013.jpg

Now, the way we play games, is for story and glory. What that means is we try and craft a story with our games. So after the genestealers were cleared I charged the brood lord with Mephiston. Would you have it any other way? I dramatic fashion the brood lord saved 2 of 3 wounds, taking a total of 3 damage from Mephiston's sword. The broodlord promptly went all crazy and scythed Mephiston into oblivion. Not to be outdone, I activated the the stratagem that allows your character to fight when killed. Mephiston's blade struck true, decapitating the broodlord!

med_gallery_101149_13675_1911.jpg

I finally dropped the SG, who attacked the mawloc, killing it just after the mawloc destroyed the razorback. To the razorback's credit, it did crush 2 or 3 flying gaunts. Masterful driving indeed! The flyrant charged my stormraven, totally blowing its attacks and not causing a single wound! Whew! I was then able to back out of combat, with the stormraven disgorging the chaplain and assault squad, who whiffed melta wounds again!

In true cinematic fashion, the assault squad and chaplain charged, and they flyrant slowly killed the chaplain in return after suffering damage. At the end of the combat one brave sgt. stood face to face with the beast. So of course I decided to fight instead of run! The flyrant easilly dispatched the defiant captain, but was then under the guns of the stormraven.

med_gallery_101149_13675_225979.jpg

med_gallery_101149_13675_76762.jpg

The DC dread was able to charge the swarmlord, and after blasting a gaping hole in the beast's armor with its meltagun the honored veteran within, in the throws of the Black Rage, ripped the beast apart with crackling talons.

The game at that point was well over. My opponent had the flyrant (seriously wounded), and a few mini gaunts. I still held two objectives, had the SG, Baal predator, captain, stormraven, assault squad with jp, intercessor squad, and shotgun scouts. We called the game. It had been fun and extremely eye opening in terms of what the BA codex can do and my own tactical mistakes.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The storm raven waited, thrusters pulsing on stand by as the wounded were loaded up for evacuation. Mephiston had been loaded into the bay and was being prepped for attendance by chiurgeon servitors and sanguinary priests. Those brothers who had fallen were being recovered, and reinforcements had arrived to secure the area. Captain Lozario looked down at the crushed body of Sgt. Fostus.

"He fought well, he died a hero of Baal".

Captain Lozario turned and saw Brother Eltudus resplendent in the golden armor of the Sanguinary Guard.

"Yes, he was a trusted leader, and honored friend. He will be missed", said Lozario.

"He will be missed, but not forgotten", said Eltudus, who turned and strode towards the awaiting storm raven.

Captain Lazario heard the whine of the storm raven's thrusters and watched as it began to rise from the ground. Brother Ancient Declario, the black dreadnought of the death company, once again attached to the magna grapples of the ship, powered down to rest until next needed by the Chapter.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello traitor guardsmen!

med_gallery_101149_13675_571477.jpg

Just a fun pic of our most recent game, the start to a new campaign. And yeah, he was actually outside the circle there, but I couldn't resist the photo opportunity so moved him inside the circle!

More as the campain develops, but Black Templars and Blood Angels defending a system from a nefarious chaos incursion!

Archived