Brother B BA blog!

brother_b

A little more progress. I'm calling this guy done. I need what, 3 more for minimum size squad? Whew, lots of work, it feels slow. I also got some more work on my first primaris intercessor squad. I'd like to finish that up.

And then? The poor CC scouts! Or... or... well you get the idea, hard to focus.

med_gallery_101149_13675_237788.jpg

The gold, white and creme color all look great! The only thing that limps a bit is the stark transition on the glaive. Two thin coats (lol) of a blue glaze on that spot would make it much smoother. But it is is a small detail anyhow, the model looks cool :)

The gold, white and creme color all look great! The only thing that limps a bit is the stark transition on the glaive. Two thin coats (lol) of a blue glaze on that spot would make it much smoother. But it is is a small detail anyhow, the model looks cool :smile.:

I've done better, but honestly each one of these guys will be a test in blending, I did the first power sword ok, this one well, wasn't working out so I quit. ;) Just wanted to finish the model.

Not sure if I have any blue glaze, but the whole power sword thing is something I've got a long way to work on.

Thanks for the input.

It is interesting to read your blog, since I can relate to many things. I've been away from the hobby since 4th ed and started to play again few months ago. I've been painting fantasy miniatures couple of years now so had have some time to learn the painting.

One easy step to get smoother transition on the power blades is to use lahmian medium to thin the layers translucid. About 1:1 mix should work. You will need a few more layers, but it will be really easy to control how it looks. Blue glaze or wash on top will help to make it even smoother.

Truth be told I'd heard of wet blending, and created my own version. It didn't come out that bad the first model. This one, well, it was more like "wet smearing", and I just lost my transition. Also, that white is only to show the tip of the sword and looks pretty glaring in that picture.

Thanks again for the tips, keep them coming.

Fought nurgle, came out with a win in the relic. It was part of our campaign we're running.

Here are the casualties so far, including the last 3 campaign games.

My casualties:

26 Assault marines

5 Death Company

60 scouts 22 last 3 games

5 Devastators

17 Primaris Intercessors 11 the last 3 games, including 2 sgts.

6 Hellblasters 1 last game

11 Sanguinary guard 11 last 3 games

Baal Predator

5 Razorbacks 1 last game

Mephiston x 2

2 Chaplain

1 apothecary

1 librarian 1 last game

1 Captain 1 last game

2 DC dreadnought 1 last game

Inquisitor Greyfax

2 Eversor assassins

1 Callidus assassin

Real quick re-cap:

I fought Nurgle for the relic game. We ended up winning, and I came close to tabling. My opponent conceded when I took down his last character/lord of contagion guy. I also destroyed 2-3 other characters, including a tallyman.

I did a lot of damage, but the resilience (and ace saves/FNP rolls) of my opponents nurgle really cost me. SG are amazing, but I had a hard time clearing plague marines due to the saves.

I loved the furioso, he laid waste with his frag cannon/heavy flamer and first. I'm not sure he's a 9 PL though.

In typical fashion I went for heroic instead of tactical. Of course, given the opportunity, I charged his lord/warlord. I could have easily kited him, but why? The last combat didn't get past the shooting phase as we circled and shot his character down.

All in all, I have a high level of respect for nurgle now, my hellblasters did work, and that kind of damage is a must vs. nurgle.

Also, yeah, Captain Slam was simply amazing. He crushed a tallyman, plague marines, some other sort of character, and was a menace. I found that the 3+ invuln save was invaluable. It saved my bacon numerous times, as that 4+ wouldn't have been enough. I think it's one of the keys to his success.

Finally, being able to finish off that squad/character while under the effect of the Red Thirst is key. Nurgle's ability to tarpit my damage dealers slowed me down big time.

med_gallery_101149_13675_78100.jpg

It was a dark day for the Blood Angels, brothers. On the forge world of Pele our chapter met an ancient foe, and had to retire from the field after suffering grievous losses. An allied force of heretic astartes,led by none other than Mortarion, was our opponent today.

med_gallery_101149_13675_116779.jpg

Well, full battle report will not follow. Needless to say Mortarion swatted down a Thunderhawk, spilling out the contents including a ASM squad, Sanguinary Novitiate, Mephiston, and a DC dreadnought. Unfortunately I was unfamiliar with the scenario and didn't know that my enemy could come in up to 6" from the deployment edge. Mortarion, and a demon prince, proceeded to shred my army.

Anyway, tough very tough lessons. Mortartion survived 9 SG and captain smash due to overwhelmingly good saves and FNP rolls. I would have killed him, but my army was so destroyed it was a moot point and I conceded.

DG have been very tough opponents, and Mortarion was no joke. It was the first time I've faced a primarch and it was terrifying!

Casualties to follow...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, finally finished that last darn intercessor. I'm bad at being the guy that almost completes a squad. In the background you can see the last two of my skitarii vanguard that'll constitute a full squad. After that, on to my CC scouts to finish that squad.

med_gallery_101149_13675_203167.jpg

Time to update casualties after my last go against the hated Death Guard and their primarch, Mortarion.

The only bright spot was the lone assault marine sgt. that held out against a horde of pox walkers by himself for several turns. I've considered painting his squad up because of his heroics.

Without further ado, updated casulaties, new in red:

35 Assault marines 9 last game including 1 sgt.

5 Death Company

70 scouts 10 last game including 1 sgt.

5 Devastators

23 Primaris Intercessors 6 last game including 1 sgt.

10 Hellblasters 4 last game

20 Sanguinary guard 9 last game

1 Sanguinary Ancient

Baal Predator

5 Razorbacks

1 Stormraven

Mephiston x 3 Thanks Mortarion...1 last game

2 Chaplain

2 apothecary1 last game

1 librarian

2 Captain 1 last game

3 DC dreadnought 1 last game

Inquisitor Greyfax

2 Eversor assassins

1 Callidus assassin

Today in our campaign, a Black Templars crusade lost against the Death Guard. During the campaign, a system has been assaulted by the Death Guard and a Khorne Slaughterhost of unknown Heretic Astartes. The final game to save the planet is coming, a loss will definitely put the Imperium on the back foot for the defense of the system. Unfortunately for the brave warriors of the Adeptus Astartes the local governments have gone rogue, throwing their lot in with the ruinous powers. It is unknown if there are any loyal Imperial Guard on any of the planets in the systems.

Luckily, a small contingent of Sytgies VIII Adeptus Mechanicus have recently entered the system, most likely drawn by mysterious Xenos technology. Their Explorator-Galleon, Puritas Sigma 9, has contacted the Blood Angels and offered assistance in the defense of the system. It's said that TechnoArchaeologist Torx 010011, Tech Priest Dominus of the Explorator-Galleon has readied his Skitarii and ordered his Engineseers to intone the rituals of awakening on their revered engines of war.

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing to see, nothing to see, just updating the casualty list... Vanguard detachment casualties for recent game featuring my admech.

35 Assault marines 

5 Death Company

70 scouts 

5 Devastators 

23 Primaris Intercessors 

10 Hellblasters

20 Sanguinary guard  9 last game

1 Sanguinary Ancient

Baal Predator

5 Razorbacks 

1 Stormraven

1 predator

Mephiston x 3 

2 Chaplain 

2 apothecary

1 librarian 

3 Captain 1 last game

4 DC dreadnought  1 last game

1 Furioso dreadnought

1 dreadnought

Inquisitor Greyfax

2 Eversor assassins

1 Callidus assassin

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since I've done much with the Blood Angels hobbywise. That hasn't changed. I have done some gaming though. Running casualty log to follow when I get time.

Here's a few pics of the action just for fun. In a bloody battle with the ruinous powers my Admech, along with the Blood Angels fought alongside the Black Templars again. It was a hell of a fight. We invaded the planet via planetstrike rules and much carnage ensued. We had multiple 6s rolled for explosions. It was great.

Mephiston was his typical beast self, after having fallen many times over the past few battles.

Here we see him about to defeat a vile chaos sorcerer. Note the two scouts discussing Mephiston's awesomeness in the foreground.

med_gallery_101149_13675_835394.jpg

The man tracks of the Adeptus Mechanicus needed to make a 12 inch charge to contest the final objective and glory to the Omnissiah they did!

med_gallery_101149_13675_61121.jpg

Which gave time for Mephiston to arrive, flying through the air with the power of his primarch flowing through him. Mephiston tallied a kill on the demon prince, sweeping the objective.

med_gallery_101149_13675_638830.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just finishing up the 5 scouts that started my whole gaming/painting "revival".

One more and I'll have them all done! I'm very scattered right now with my painting. I've been doing a lot of LOTR painting too. That's still a great game and I love the new edition.

Anyway, scout!

med_gallery_101149_13675_320620.jpg

Archived