Raven Guard vs Ultramarines: Best Primaris ?

Jochteas

I really have grown to love the primaris marines and I want to create a chapter of just primaris but I can't decide between ultras and ravens. It seems to me the Ultra's unique strategem can really super power the already strong plasma force and the chapter tactics seem really strong.

But Ravenguards, just wow, strike from the shadows seems to allievate a lot of the issues of having few transports. It's also very different style from what I used to ( space wolf) so that looks appealing.

I'd love others opinion or advice on the matter. I don't seem to be making any headway with the decision.

This is a dilemma I am having at the moment as well (especially as two of the colour schemes I really like are for UM and RG successors). Both have advantages and drawbacks, the latter largely being based around the lack of unit variety in a Primaris-only army (for instance, Strike from the Shadows is brilliant with stuff like Jump Pack Vanguard... which you won't be using).

I do find the +1 Ld for UM to be quite an advantage for the Primaris, as failing a Morale check is a bigger problem with multi-wound models than single-wound ones, but Hellblasters in cover with -1 To Hit are absolute devils.

At the moment I am leaning towards Ultramarines purely because I have one non-Primaris model I am going to field - Guilliman, and UM get the greatest bonuses from his rules (though RG still get a large number of buffs too). The warlord trait can be utterly fantastic but is a bit random so it is a bit of a gamble.

I feel you on this. I'm kind of a Narcissist when it comes with my armies so if I don't like their looks I won't play them. I think both chapters have great color's, sweet lore, and good advantages so it's tough. The one thing I will say in small rebuttal is the +1 leadership isn't a huge sell to me, free reroll on leadership test and small unit sizes ( I think 3-5 is average) make that a non issue.

Paint them in a custom scheme. Then you can play whatever tactics you like, change whenever you want between games, and don't have to worry if your rules stink in the next edition.

This is why I've been really toying with the idea of going Blood Ravens. They can be pretty much anything, but are really recognizable at the same time.

Of course, I need to actually finish painting at least one full squad before I flop around to another scheme lol.

Edited by Lemondish

Paint them in a custom scheme. Then you can play whatever tactics you like, change whenever you want between games, and don't have to worry if your rules stink in the next edition.

This is why I've been really toying with the idea of going Blood Ravens. They can be pretty much anything, but are really recognizable at the same time.

Of course, I need to actually finish painting at least one full squad before I flop around to another scheme lol.

Space Marines have been known to form mixed forces from different chapters... Why not paint em all different?