Welcome, battle brothers and sisters, to the first BCK's Conversion Challenge: Characters!
Any of you who have seen my thread know that I am afflicted with a converting madness and I'd like to
spread it to share it with the rest of you in a series of challenges. Once upon a time, converting was a massive part of the hobby that was actively encouraged by GW by offering conversion articles and showing off conversions their staff had done in White Dwarf and the various Specialist Games issues, as well as allowing you to order individual bitz to make your crazy ideas reality. It was a sad day when the bitz shop closed, let me tell you. These were also the days when large gaps existed in their catalog and many characters, units, and even vehicles had no official models and it was up to you to convert them. It was in those early days that I caught the madness and it has only grown in the time since.
The purpose of this first challenge is for you to convert a replacement for a character model. Why do that? Maybe you're tired of waiting for an updated version, or you saw the updated version and don't like it. Maybe you think you can do better than their designers. Whatever the reason, if you ever wanted to make your own character model, this is the time to do it!
Rules, which I have shamelessly
stolen borrowed from some of Grotsmasha's earlier challenges, are as follows:
1) The finished model is not to be painted and the conversion should be bare plastic/resin/metal though the odd painted piece stolen from a previously painted model is OK.
2) WYSIWYG applies here, so all relevant gear needs to be represented on the figure.
3) Maximum of 25% existing Character model:
---25% consists of the following combinations;
--- Head- 0% can be from any existing model
---1x Arm- 12.5%, 2x Arms- 25% either from the same or separate models
---1x Leg- 12.5%, 2x Legs- 25% either from the same or separate models
---Things like FW's Red Scorpion upgrade pack DO NOT count toward the 25% limitation, nor do parts from generic models (multi-part plastics, etc).
---If the character never had a model, this applies to any existing character model you might want to use parts from. This is a conversion challenge after all!
4) Green Stuff/Sculpting putty is fine, from small details up to a full sculpt if you think you can pull it off.
5) 1 calendar month build time; September 1st 2017 until October 1st 2017.
6) Multiple entries will be accepted provided you finish your first entry, but you must choose only one for judgment.
7) You must declare participation a minimum of 24hrs prior to declaring completion.
8) Characters must use their most recent rules, whether from one of the indexes, or their respective codex if it is available. A character that has not been reprinted in the current edition is still legal as long as it did have official rules at some point in time in another edition.
9) If you wish to enter a non-character model, it will not be considered a competitive entry and will not be eligible for judging or winning the prize. However, I will be doing a generic HQ challenge at a later time if you wish to wait until then.
Pledging Your Entry:
Please use this format in your pledge entry:
I, (your name) pledge to convert (character name) for (codex/faction name) in the Character Conversion Challenge and finish on or before October 2nd 2017 to be eligible for judgment.
A photo of your model's condition before beginning (parts, figures you're going to chop up, etc) is required on September 1, or when you pledge your entry after September 1. When you finish, pictures of the front, back, and both sides are required for judgment. If you wish to post other in-progress shots along the way, I'd love to see 'em.
I will choose a Conversion Event winner and a runner-up at the conclusion of the event. The winner will have first pick of these two prizes:
The runner-up will receive the other.
I've also made some participation badges should you wish to display it in your signature.
Edited by Brother Chaplain Kage, 17 September 2017 - 06:14 AM.