Hello everyone, first Topic started by me. Long time reader, 8th Edition re-convert. (A sorry up front for mistakes, not a native speaker)
I currently own about 2500 Points of Nurgle Daemons and the army will be very soon be finished. Basically once Blight Wars hits, I will have all models I want. And I was thinking about starting a new army by expanding on to my Daemons. Also, I really love religious fanatics. One of my first ideas for my next army was a Ecclisiarchy Army (non-sister) but thats kinda hard to do, as I lack basically everything especially crazed zealot mobs. So my eye fell on the Word Bearers. Easy to combine with my Daemons, deeply involved in the story (not really the Xenos guy) and they fit the fanatics description.
Currently I am reading as much background as I can get my hands on (Horus Heresy especially) and think how to combine my love for rotten nurgle-things with the true believers.
According to the story, Lorgar himself does pretty much look down onto the single-god legions and ordered his legion to worship the pantheon. I assume a Host that prays to only Nurgle would be ostracized pretty quickly. That made my head think about a Host that actually is apart from the legion. How can that happen? In one of the Horus Heresy books I found information about the Destroyers, the specialists for among others biological warfare, that always have been Outsiders. Worshipping Nurgle seems kinda logical for these guys, as their own weapons kill them. So maybe a Host mainly consisting off former Destroyers, a group where the legion sends those Marines they see unfit for glorius front line service, to do the dirty work. Basically a Penal Legion of the Word Bearers.
Looking up already existing WB hosts I stumbled upon the Broken Scythe, a host destroyed on Calth that specialized in infrastructure destruction. That seemed to fit the bill. Destroying streets, bridges, power lanes and food stocks doesn´t seem too glorious for me. being a Penal Legion the single god devotion could just be another sign of the worthlessness of these troops in the eye of Lorgar, so he just uses them in pretty suicidal ways to get rid of them.
About the actual army list, I thought about the following options
- Apostel (obviously)
- Lord (Buffing shooty squads and summoning)
- Sorceror (secondary summoner)
- Exalted Champion (Melee Buffer)
- Marines (Short Range Shooting/Melee in a bigger Squad)
- I would not use Cultist, as I can easily get the numbers I need via taking a Daemon Detachement
- Plague Marines (All purpose, basically the Destroyers)
- Mutilators (I would call them "Exalted Possessed", basically I just want to try what they can do with Nurgle Daemon Buffs)
- Possessed (Obvious, work with Daemon Buffs)
- Chaos Spawns (Maybe, a Penal legion should have some of those)
- Raptors (The Ashend Circle was Jump Troops right?)
- Obliterators (not that fluffy I assume, but they look very tasty on paper)
- Some Daemon Engines (Do Word Bearer use those notably?)
Another way of combining Nurgle and WB would be one WB Detachement and one for the DG once the book comes out. That way I could use both Stratagem-Lists.
What do you think guys? Have I missed some notable WB units? Is the idea of a Penal Legion imaginable? Is there any fluff that Lorgar does not tolerate something like this in the slightest? Note: I am more interested in background than in having a super powerful list, altough I would take something thats absolutely needed even if its not 100% background safe.