Yet another Death Guard blog

Stuart

So like many people since 8th Edition dropped, I've decided to get going on a Death Guard army.

Background: I got into the 14th Legion back somewhere around 2003, after reading a then-famous White Dwarf article featuring tactics on playing Plague Marines. The early 2000s was a bit of a Nurgle renaissance, as we'd wrapped up the awesome Eye of Terror campaign and Deathguard.org was still around. I painted up ~2000 points using the Jean Francoise tutorial (basically drybrushing + washes), and spent a few years bashing them into my brother's Ultramarines and Tyranids.

Eventually I moved on to other armies, and at several points over the years I decided to dissassemble and repaint my army. All those attempts stalled after a few models, and eventually I was left with a pile of half-painted models that couldn't really be fielded effectively. This year I decided to get my :censored: together and actually paint my army. Drawing inspiration from a number of awesome DG army logs (especially the work of Squiggoth and Animerik) and using downtime from Hurricane Harvey this weekend, I finished up my test model.

Test model front

Test model back

Test model left

Test model right

I figured the old dime-a-dozen monopose 2nd Edition Marine would be a good test model (though he's missing some common features of later sculpts, like weird growths and puss). Some notes:

- I'm gonna use the right greave for squad markings. The first squad will be checkerboard. From there, I'm thinking maybe caution stripes and flames for some other markings?

- I'm planning on doing freehand on any blank shoulderpads. This idea is shamelessly stolen from Squiggoth's army. Dunno how easy this will be, as I don't have a huge mental tank of Nurgle freehand iconography . . . 

- Blue accents are also kinda stolen from Squiggoth. I think they pop well.

- I love a lot of the grimy, gritty DG armies out there, but that's not one of my strengths as a painter. I kept the weathering to a bit of a minimum here, with just a bit of blood and Typhus Corrosion. Some other guys might get a bit grimier, especially the 3rd edition models with more mutation and nasty stuff in their sculpts, but this is generally what I'd like to shoot for.

- My other 40K armies have summer (Eldar) and winter (Blood Axes) bases. I figured fall would be a good addition to that. 

Now that that's out of the way, I'll start work on the rest of the squad this week. 

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers Vairocanum! My army should be a decent mix of old and new DG. 

Speaking of, I just finished up Marine #2:

IMG 4132

IMG 4133

This pic is a better representation of the IRL colorscheme. Pretty happy with this guy, and hoping to have the rest of his squad done before I leave for Japan on the 27th.

Aaaaand here's number 3! Pretty cool sculpt. I'm happy enough with the paintjob, though the plasma coils aren't great and a priming accident left him kinda gritty in some parts. Whatever, I'm sure he'll do a good job rolling 1's and dying to his own plasma.

IMG 4137

IMG 4139

Next up should be an older Marine; these new guys were fun, but I'm looking forward to some simpler, smaller sculpts.