Am I being a stubborn old fool?

Kasper_Hawser

One more stubborn old fool here.

The core of my army has been a couple big GH packs in Rhinos, ever since 4th edition, aiming to take control of the board's centre.

Currently it takes shape supported with those packs in full kit, led by a WL or WGBL with punch and buff, and supported by a Rune Priest and a small tooled up pack of skyclaws.

Haven't played a lot in 8th yet, and I'm still getting used to how deadly these packs are this edition, but it's a way of fighting that's always sat well with me.

I have found Skyclaws underwhelming so far. I would be tempted to pay a few extra points to upgrade them to Wolf Guard with Jump Packs.

My Grey Hunters continue to impress with their performance. Their latest outing saw them taking down genestealers without undue effort thanks to a combination of softening-up with bolters and then charging in to finish off the survivors. I currently run the following 3 packs as the core of my Battalion Detachment.

6 Grey Hunters, WGPL with combi-melta and power fist, PL with power axe, Banner and melta

Razorback with Twin-assault cannons

6 Grey Hunters, WGPL with combi-melta and power fist, PL with power axe, Banner and melta

10 Grey Hunters, WGPL with TDA combi-plasma and frost Axe, PL with power sword and plasma pistol, Banner and 2 plasma guns

The 2 packs in Razorbacks hunt down objectives or large targets with their melta guns. I am tempted to give the Pack Leaders plasma pistols but points are tight. The large pack on foot really doubles down on plasma and normally accompanies Bjorn or a Wolf Lord for rerolls.

I normally back these up with fire support from Long Fangs and Hellblasters (we needed reinforcements after losing 2 Great Companies on Cadia and during WoM). Lastly I throw in a Rune Priest (usually Njal) for some psychic support which takes it to a neat 1500 points.

For 2000 points, I am looking to add some Wolf Guard bikers with CC loadout led by a Wolf Priest on bike.

I haven't really experimented with TDA or heavier tanks yet but to be honest, I haven't missed them.

My skyclaws aren't there to operate on their own, but mostly as direct support for my grey hunters, and to accompany the jumping Rune Priest, whose main power is Storm Caller.

I run them such:

Skyclaws: 2 flamers, power axe

Wolf Guard: frost sword, combi-flamer

They provide a lot of flamers and combat attacks where-ever the GH need it, and are more easily capable of reaching higher floors.

For 137 pts they do the job.

How would WGs would do it better? With storm bolters they have better long range fire, but that's not what they're there for. Point for point WG don't put out as many attacks on the charge as skyclaws, unless Arjac is near.

Edited by Araith

I have found Skyclaws underwhelming so far. I would be tempted to pay a few extra points to upgrade them to Wolf Guard with Jump Packs.

My Grey Hunters continue to impress with their performance. Their latest outing saw them taking down genestealers without undue effort thanks to a combination of softening-up with bolters and then charging in to finish off the survivors. I currently run the following 3 packs as the core of my Battalion Detachment.

10 Grey Hunters, WGPL with TDA combi-plasma and frost Axe, PL with power sword and plasma pistol, Banner and 2 plasma guns

The 2 packs in Razorbacks hunt down objectives or large targets with their melta guns. I am tempted to give the Pack Leaders plasma pistols but points are tight. The large pack on foot really doubles down on plasma and normally accompanies Bjorn or a Wolf Lord for rerolls.

I normally back these up with fire support from Long Fangs and Hellblasters (we needed reinforcements after losing 2 Great Companies on Cadia and during WoM). Lastly I throw in a Rune Priest (usually Njal) for some psychic support which takes it to a neat 1500 points.

For 2000 points, I am looking to add some Wolf Guard bikers with CC loadout led by a Wolf Priest on bike.

I haven't really experimented with TDA or heavier tanks yet but to be honest, I haven't missed them.

Glad you had success with both your MSU GH and Big Gang GH. For me I actually started out 8th that way but got slaughtered by Dakka, so had to go back to MSU. 

Did you give the big pack a Rhino though, or were they footslogging?

They are foot sloggers. I have considered a Rhino but I would have to drop something else to fit that into 1500 points. With a 6" move and a 24" threat-range, they normally do OK on foot. I keep them near Bjorn and Njal for a combination of rerolls and Cover (from Stormcaller).

They are foot sloggers. I have considered a Rhino but I would have to drop something else to fit that into 1500 points. With a 6" move and a 24" threat-range, they normally do OK on foot. I keep them near Bjorn and Njal for a combination of rerolls and Cover (from Stormcaller).

One of these days, I have to trust that my guys can survive without a transport. Something that was ingrained in me for 3 years since I started playing was too never leave infantry in the open except terminators, and even THEY died easily to most stuff. Suppose I'll finally appreciate the new Wolf Standard by then.

Peace out.