Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

IG, who would have guessed FOOT GUARD [2k]

foot guard

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

PliskinAJ

PliskinAJ

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 58 posts
  • Chapter Name: IG, SM, DKOK
I normally play mech guard and people in my gaming area know me for playing mech guard. Over the years I am now sitting on well over 400 guardsmen and normally once or twice a year I drop the company on a player. With this edition infantry seeming to be where its this looks like fun. The downside with so many units you have to plan a head to make sure you not wasting everyone's time setting up/cleaning up. With mech guard its almost cheating, I place my 10 tanks and I'm ready. 

I have been working on this list for a few weeks now as I first rebuilding my forces to fit this list. 

--- Battle plan --- 

I figure this will be a very aggressive list running in 3 waves. 

1st wave: ~100 Conscripts 
2nd wave: ~60 Line infantry 
3rd wave: ~30 Veterans 

As the waves get hit in close combat I will have the survivors immediately fall back behind the following wave and rapid fire their targets. The following wave will either rapid fire the same targets and possibly lock them in close combat. 

The veterans hang out with the earthshaker platforms for a bit to both protect them and allow them to space out enough for a 3rd line. 

I know people are starting to use rough riders and many still use the hellhound. The sentinel was hit bad with the moving heavy weapon penalty but I figure having 2 units of lascannons sitting in the back field firing off shots and having 2 "combat" sentinels with nearly minimal kit to help keep out deep strikers. Originally I toyed with heavy flamers but only being 3 points more for a lascannon I figure I would give it a try. 

If you haven't seen the points for the FW entries, the platform is almost too cheap not to take. 

--- Weaknesses --- 
I have been worried about lack of commissars with the large amount of infantry I figure flooding the field with them will help keep my moral high. I also sit on 4 company commanders so I should have plenty of redundancy in the orders. Now, how is this a weakness. I have nearly 300 points in command structure, is this too many points?

Defiantly going second. 

Flamers, I have a decent amount of points of my army in flamers. 

--- Strengths --- 
200+ men of the empire. 
14 lascannon equivalents 
8 heavy bolters 
Huge amount of firepower. 

++ Brigade (CP +9) (Astra Militarum) [1813 Pts] ++

+ Troops +
3x Conscripts [105 Pts]: 15x Additional Conscripts
6x Infantry Squad [56 Pts]: Boltgun, Chainsword, Flamer, Heavy Bolter

+ Elites +
2x Veterans [102 Pts]: Boltgun, Chainsword, Lascannon, 6x Lasgun, 3x Plasma Gun
1x Veterans [107 Pts]: Boltgun, Chainsword, 3x Flamer, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Flamer, 5x Shotgun

+ HQ +
3x Company Commander [31 Pts]: Boltgun, Chainsword

+ Fast Attack +
2x Scout Sentinels [110 Pts]: 2x Lascannon, 2x Scout Sentinel
1x Scout Sentinels [94 Pts]: 2x Multi-Laser, 2x Scout Sentinel, 2x Sentinel Chainsaw

+ Heavy Support +
Earthshaker Battery [240 Pts]: 3x Earthshaker Battery
2x Heavy Weapons Squad [57 Pts]: 2x Lascannon, Mortar
2x Heavy Weapons Squad [45 Pts]: Heavy Bolter, Lascannon, Mortar

++ Vanguard (CP +1) (Astra Militarum) [186 Pts] ++

+ Elites +
5x Commissar [31 Pts]: Boltgun

+ HQ +
1x Company Commander [31 Pts]: Boltgun, Chainsword

++ Total: [1999 Pts] ++

• duz_, Halfpint100 and Guardsman Bob like this

Halfpint100

Halfpint100

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 571 posts
  • Chapter Name: 32nd Firedrakes
That is a lot of bodies! The only issue I see, is people getting bored of the time it takes you to move them all. List looks strong though
  • PliskinAJ likes this

PliskinAJ

PliskinAJ

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 58 posts

I have found that to be the case too. I have found using a 6" ruler helps speed up the process. I want to try something other than the Plasma Scion guard that seems to be to what people want to play right now. 

Guardsman Bob

Guardsman Bob

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 219 posts
I can empathize about being concerned with taking too long to finish phases. For an upcoming tournament I'm trying to hash out a system of poker chips and dice to mark activations or impending moral checks.

How are the vets working out for you? They seem point heavy for their squishy-ness.
+++
8th Edition is definitely the reform that 3rd Edition should have been. So they’re only twenty plus years late. Not bad, could have been worse.

PliskinAJ

PliskinAJ

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 58 posts

First battle report of this list. 

Turns: mostly 2

Time: 3ish hours (We were at my house and I had some honey do's and the kid had some issues so I ended up holding him for about half of it. Speed wasn't key for us.)

He was running 2k of chaos space marines.

fMrKXzZl.jpg

DOW deployment 6 objectives.

dHnzQfOl.jpg

I failed to seize initiative he runs up the center ready to attack. He bubble wraps his demon thing, maybe a prince, I don't really remember just know its got to die.

C5UV1Lal.jpg

His shooting takes out 2 heavy weapons teams and a sentinel, he wants to get in to melee as soon as possible. 

PJVvol4l.jpg

My half of 1, I tell my 105 conscripts to leave the fighting positions to meet him in the field.

47nQO4kl.jpg

Shooting cripples both rhinos and I knock off about half his cultists. Probably should have focused my fire more and I forgot to shoot the 3 line squads closest to me in the picture. 

ukJVmhNl.jpg

Start of 2, here he comes, right into my bubblewrap. 

fkvKVwVl.jpg

Sorry for the blurry picture. Center conscript squad wiped, other 2 at around 60% strength, doing their job. His flier eats my heavy weapon team in shooting and smashes into my line squads. 

o23IjPml.jpg

I fall back my conscripts and let out a lot of fire into his berserkers in the center taking them down to 3 before I'm doing with 1/4th my shooting. 

1dWZMall.jpg

At this point he concedes the battle my las/plas vet team 1 open up and knock out the rhino with the lascannon and knock out most of his berserkers. The breaking point was when las/plasma vet team knocks out half of his red marines with a plasma volley (he didn't pull them yet). I still had 5 of the line squads to fire, the earthshakers, flamer vets 2 full heavy weapon teams and the command staff. 

----------------

This is what I got out of this battle. 

- Conscripts are brutal. This hit like a wet noodle and you honestly can probably ignore them or just tie them up with a vehicle burning orders for me to do anything with them. But when the other player sees 105 "guardsmen" running at them they attack them.

- Line infantry, flamers were never used to effect. I think I shot 1 in offense and 1 in defense, for the cost plasma is the way to go unless you make a dedicated burning squad like the flamer vets.

- Bolters did just what I wanted, all the bolters I have in this army, 18? off the top of my head would kill 2-3 things a turn. 18 points to kill a few more, yes please. 

- Command staff with bolters. Worked great they could stay back, give orders or a bolt to the head and give fire support. I had all my command staff fire on the cultists on turn 1 and at max range I think every one of them took down a cultist. 

- Earthshakers, I think I made them the right size but they are HUGE but deadly. 

• Halfpint100 likes this

PliskinAJ

PliskinAJ

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 58 posts

So I think 105 conscripts might be a bit over kill. I do like the units of 35 as it maxes out how much he can kill in a CC. If my center conscript squad had 50 all 50 would have been dead because the Berserkers didn't have their second attack yet. I think I manged to trim some fat. 

Dropped one conscript squad, 2 M laser sentinels, 1 lascannon sentinel, 1 commissar and dropped the flamer vets SGT to a shotgun and 1 company commander to a shot gun. This gave me.

2 full scion squads with 4 plasma and a prime.

I figure I loose some meatsheild and a BS 4 lascannon but I can 21 drop troopers with their own orders. The M laser sentinels pretty much only took some hits but they were over 70 points. The new 288 point drop section should be able to reliably kill nearly everything in the game and cause my opponent to split their forces I think a better stop than a meat shield. 

Here is the list.

++ Brigade (CP +9) (Astra Militarum) [1846 Pts] ++

+ Troops +
2x Conscripts [105 Pts]: 15x Additional Conscripts

6x Infantry Squad [56 Pts]: Boltgun, Chainsword, Heavy Bolter, Plasma Gun

2x Tempestus Scions [124 Pts]: Bolt Pistol, Chainsword, 5x Hot-Shot Lasgun, 4x Plasma Gun, 10x Scions

+ Elites +
2x Veterans [102 Pts]: Boltgun, Chainsword, Lascannon, 6x Lasgun, 3x Plasma Gun

1x Veterans [106 Pts]: Chainsword, 3x Flamer, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Flamer, 4x Shotgun

+ HQ +
3x Company Commander [31 Pts]: Boltgun, Chainsword

1x Tempestor Prime [40 Pts]: Chainsword, Tempestus Command Rod

+ Fast Attack +
3x Scout Sentinels [55 Pts]: Lascannon, Scout Sentinel

+ Heavy Support +
1x Earthshaker Battery [240 Pts]: 3x Earthshaker Battery

2x Heavy Weapons Squad [57 Pts]: 2x Lascannon, Mortar

2x Heavy Weapons Squad [45 Pts]: Heavy Bolter, Lascannon, Mortar

++ Vanguard (CP +1) (Astra Militarum) [154 Pts] ++

+ Elites +

4x Commissar [31 Pts]: Boltgun

+ HQ +

1x Company Commander [30 Pts]: Chainsword, Shotgun

++ Total: [2000 Pts] ++

Halfpint100

Halfpint100

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 571 posts
  • Chapter Name: 32nd Firedrakes

If you can somehow fit in 2 plasma pistols on your scion squads, it will be worth it. you only need 8 points to get it! maybe remove 3 conscripts? that extra 2 plasma rounds on the scions will be worth it. The rest of the list looks solid IMO! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users