Tzeentch Flamers vs Rubrics with Warpflamers

themortalgod

So I've been going back and fourth on the two for a while, they offer very similar firepower and fill a similar role in the battle but are also different enough to make the choice compelling. I'm wondering how everyone else feels? As of now this is how I see it:

Flamers

• Cheaper
  • Faster
  • Fly Keyword
  • Pistol weapons (shoot in close combat)
  • No unit champion tax
  • Can benefit from Changeling aura

Rubrics

• More resilient (though, there are few situations where the +1W beats the better save)
  • Can ride in a transport
  • Slightly more powerful weapon (better ap)
  • Better in close combat phase (though not being able to shoot in combat offsets this quite a bit)
  • Can advance and still shoot
  • Can benefit from legion traits/strategems
  • Smite
  • Better LD

What does everyone else feel? In a generic all comers list, which do you find fits the role of short range flame troops more effectively? 

Edited by themortalgod

Yes, you don't have to pay for the aspiring sorc. anymore, just force weapons and the fact that he can't get a warplamer. I haven't played Tzeentch flamers yet in 8th ed. but I've been using a lot three units of five rubricae with warpflamers recently as part of a list that I plan on bringing to a tournament and they're awesome. They're a bit too expensive for my taste, but they just murder things and can resist a lot of firepower. I think that they might get the edge over flamers because they're more resilient, can run and shoot and can get into transports, which offsets both their mobility and CC issues, as they can go faster and can share the trasport with another unit that will assault any survivors.

Yes, you don't have to pay for the aspiring sorc. anymore, just force weapons and the fact that he can't get a warplamer. 

He still can get a Warpflamepistol, though. Could he use both, his forceweapon and the flamer at the same time in CC? I'm still waiting for my first 8th edition game and don't habe the rules around.

Yes, you don't have to pay for the aspiring sorc. anymore, just force weapons and the fact that he can't get a warplamer. 

He still can get a Warpflamepistol, though. Could he use both, his forceweapon and the flamer at the same time in CC? I'm still waiting for my first 8th edition game and don't habe the rules around.

You don't actually use the flamer in melee. You are just allowed to shoot it at the unit you are in melee with, switching the restriction of not being able to shoot when being within 1" of an enemy with the restriction having to target the closest unit with it.

So since nothing prevents you from using a melee weapon when you shot with a pistol, you can do both. Shoot in your shooting phase and chop in your fight phase.

Edit: note that I'm talking about the pistol obviously. You can't shoot regular flamer while being in melee unfortunately.

Edited by sfPanzer

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't bother with the warpflamer pistol. Str 3 and 6"? If you ever manage to shoot it it will probably do nothing. I prefer the Inferno Bolt Pistol on the sorc, at least it's cheaper...

Unless I missed an FAQ there is no more Champion tax for TS - just got to pay for that force weapon, which is worth the points most of the time. 

Personally, I don't feel the cost of a force weapon is worth it, I've never had my sorcerer do anything constructive really. He just feels like a 30+ pts model (depending on how you arm him) that is forced on each Rubric squad. The odd MW, I guess from Smite but the cost of the force stave just doesn't feel worth it given that he isn't anything even remotely special in close combat. 

• 2 weeks later...

An inferno pistol shot and 2 swings in melee with D3 damage is actually average/good for a melee Chaos model.  An axe or sword is probably better than the stave for the better AP modifier (sword is also cheapest).  Yeah, he costs 11-15 points more than a Rubricae, but that does give you an option to deny a psychic power, he adds +1 Ld, and has his ghetto smite attack.  It's worth the cost, IMO, although I would have liked the option to take a regular boltgun on him. 

Maybe the TS codex will give him some more flexibility in powers.

Well they are different armies and differet force slot. And ofcourse future strategems might offset it. But..  Flamers seems like the superior choice.. 

Flamers are :

1.Faster even when marines roll 6 for advance they are still slower..

2.Cheaper 

3. Better i CC due to pistols

Also flamers can leave CC and shoot due to fly keyword. 

Aha, but can Flamers be infiltrated with Forward Operatives? :biggrin.:

No but neither can thousand sons rubrics :smile.:

They can when taken in an Alpha Legion detachment tho. ;)

That being said ... how durable are Flamer? I've never really looked at most Tzeentch Daemons, but the Flamer being pistols and the FLY keyword aren't worth much if they can't survive melee in the first place. ^^

They can when taken in an Alpha Legion detachment tho. :wink:

That being said ... how durable are Flamer? I've never really looked at most Tzeentch Daemons, but the Flamer being pistols and the FLY keyword aren't worth much if they can't survive melee in the first place. ^^

That is why i wrote Thousand sons rubric...and not Alpha legion rubric :). 

They can when taken in an Alpha Legion detachment tho. :wink:

That is why i wrote Thousand sons rubric...and not Alpha legion rubric :smile.:

Ah right, I missed the Thousand sons part. :P