New to game. Need help creating list.

Archeun

Greetings fellow Space Wolf players!

I just recently began playing Warhammer 40k and took up Space Wolves due to their look and the backstory. 

Currently, I have the following models. 

5 Wulfen

10 Wolf Guard

10 Grey Hunters

10 Blood Claws

1 Wolf Lord on Foot

1 Rune Priest 

1 Wolf Priest

1 Land Raider

5 Wolf Guard Terminators

1 Stormfang Gunship (Not sure exactly what it is called, it's a huge ship.

So 2 questions.

1. What do I need to purchase to have a well rounded list for tournaments?

2. What is a good list to start off with?

Thank you for your advice :D.

Greetings and welcome to the Fang.

I really wouldn't recommend you think from a tournament perspective. Especially with the tournament scene being so turbulent and saturated with idiots who think having an army of Culexus assassins or pure Storm Ravens (before FAQ made them unable to contest objectives) is fun.

Back to what you have, its definitely more than enough to make a decent list, if not a smashing one to smash all others. Your Grey Hunters, Blood Claws and Wolf Guard essentially have the same sprues anyway, so you can build any proportion you want.

What you are missing though, is the traditional boxes known as Rhinos and Razorbacks. While not as cheap as before, two are more efficient I believe than a Land Raider in firepower and transport, if not in toughness. 

To answer your two questions

1) I suggest a couple of Razorbacks. Also a Dreadnought to build as Bjorn the Fell handed. Expensive but good buff, extra CP and one of the toughest characters in the game. And lastly, a devastator squad to mix with your Grey Hunters Sprues for some Long Fangs.

2) 1 Wolf Lord or Wolf Guard Battle leader with bike or jump pack, 2 squads of Grey Hunters either with plasma/melta, and one squad of Long Fangs for 1000 points.

Bear in mind, I'm thinking of an Take on All Comers ("TAC") list, not a "drink the tears of your opponent" list.

Welcome to the fang Archeun,

I would agree with Kasper defiantly add Bjorn however due to most people now knowing he is a beast in CC you need some thing to protect him from getting shot of the field as he does not have invul save.  Their is two ways of looking at it one is a  blizzard shield dread bodyguard the one down side to this is that it does not cover all his sides so can get outflanked and still shot at. the other option is a cheaper version in points and surround him with a ferisian wolves pack that way you can cover 360 but the down side is that it will not last that long when it get shot.

also maybe include Lukas the Trickster to help buff your blood claws. 

Also when you build your ship you have 2 options a shooty one that can not take the wulfen pack or a assault craft the one with out the gun in the nose with less shooty but can take the wulfen pack.

With Tournaments most people use flyers and or smite spam so when building your list it will be different to games you will play against your mates or club games. so to kill flyers you need high damage weapons like laser cannons, plasma or Melta's to defend against smite you need psykers.

Bjorn is a character, and has fewer than 10 wounds, so the only way to target him is if you put him out front (never a good idea until mid/late game, and maybe not then) or use snipers (good luck on that).

As for what the OP is needing, it's reserve and/or fast attack options. I'm a huge fan of WG bikers, and WG with jump packs. Give a few Storm Shields, and most either a storm bolter (for quantity over quality) or a combi (plasma or melta, depending on expected targets). The latter is pretty expensive, but can level exposed hard targets, and still take a beating. I'd give the pack leader a wolf claw instead of a SS, so you keep a good fire base.

Welcome to the Fang!

My recommendation is to get some fun games in wherever you are located at. I am sure some veterans will help you out with breaking into the game. I will reserve my comments on tourney scene.

You definitely have a solid starting point. There is one model that I feel is necessary for Space Wolves in 8th edition: Bjorn the Fell handed. He is a Dreadnought character, counts as HQ choice. He is simply fantastic. There is no list you can make with Space Wolves that should not have him in it. I don't usually do the "but really, THIS is a must have..." because it sounds like a used car salesman but Bjorn, well, really, THIS is a must have...