Alpharius' Soul and Chaos

Okay while bored on a routine drive to work I got to thinking about the consistent comment that Alpharius/Omegon are one soul in two bodies. This, in turn, brought up the point that a lot of the "chaos corruption" we see in the fluff/background talks about souls and deamons attacking souls and what not. Or even when it comes to prophecies and stuff (not just 40K in general) it is often talking about souls and all that.

Now combining all of this makes me wonder if there is a reason Alpharius (and Omegon) never really "fell" to chaos. Yes, they sided with Horus' rebellion (Cabal be damned), and yes others in the legion since have dabbled in the arcane arts. But we never really see any corruption or mutation or power enhancement from Alpharius. Is this because the gods couldn't affect him entirely because he only had half a soul. 

We have - I think, although sources don't come to mind - seen that Alpharius and Omegon didn't always see eye-toe-eye perfectly, so while "one soul" they weren't "one mind". So maybe they couldn't be simultaneously controlled by influencing a single soul. The displacement of the soul parts meant no chaos entity could manipulate the whole?

Maybe it's also why they didn't seem to have a part to play in the "Great Game" or whatever because their fate was so convoluted with their separation of soul into twin bodies that their "role" could never be seen and it meant they didn't have one. They were rogue agents to the whims of the Gods and it offered them protection from manipulation?

I dunno, just random driving thoughts I guess.

Firstly, don't browse the forum while driving! :P

Secondly, 

When Alpharius dies it's plausible that his "half" of the soul mitigated to Omegon's body thereby making his soul whole.

Firstly, don't browse the forum while driving! :tongue.:

Don't worry I wasn't :thumbsup:

And in regard to the spoiler, is it at this point we see a legion begin to delve into chaos? (Not sure)

Edited by Custodian Athiair

Ever since one of the stories implied that the Legion is capable of transferring their souls/personalities between each other, are we even sure there were twins to begin with? What if Alpharius accidentally halved himself with the initial experiments, thus creating his "twin" Omegon?

Or what if they never truly had/found their Primarch to begin with, and Alpharius is basically a mini-Chaos God that arose after a number of AL accidentally merged themselves during said experiments?

Edited by Zuvassin

Alpharius as a gestalt entity is kind of fun. Space marine hive mind anyone?

That would be the most interesting thing. Every marine could in truth say, "I am Alparius"

What makes you think they don't? ;)

In the serpent beneath Sheed Ranko drinks a goblet with Omegon's blood in it and gets to partake in his memories and power. During the tenebrae mission, he IS Omegon. 

Ever since one of the stories implied that the Legion is capable of transferring their souls/personalities between each other, are we even sure there were twins to begin with? What if Alpharius accidentally halved himself with the initial experiments, thus creating his "twin" Omegon?

Or what if they never truly had/found their Primarch to begin with, and Alpharius is basically a mini-Chaos God that arose after a number of AL accidentally merged themselves during said experiments?

Because there were two bodies in the birthing pod. 

Even if one or both of the twins are still alive, I'd think that after 10,000 or so years steeped in the very stuff of Chaos, they would b irrevocably corrupt. Even if they haven't given themselves to the powers of the warp, all of their actions and plans would be twisted by the taint in their soul(s), much like with Ahriman or any radical inquisitor; they may think they are still pure, but in reality they are just unwilling and unwitting pawns of the Dark Gods.

Did the Alpha Legion actually retreat to the Eye of Terror en mass?

I know some of them did but I was also under the impression a significant number just carried on as they always had in real space. And of course there's no records of what Omegon got up to.

Did the Alpha Legion actually retreat to the Eye of Terror en mass?

I know some of them did but I was also under the impression a significant number just carried on as they always had in real space. And of course there's no records of what Omegon got up to.

I thought I remembered seeing somewhere that they mostly retreated to the Maelstrom, but I can't remember where is saw it.