Astarte and primaris

the setting is warhammer 40k, it has its own themes, that of course evolve, and it has stories set in it, that progress, doesn't make it any less of a setting.

that'd be like saying forgotten realms isn't a setting, because its had all the literally world changing events that made D&D 3.5 go to 4th and then on to 5th. (note, i dont say changes are always good, just that it doesnt change the fact there is a setting that the stories and events take place in)

It's not as static as it was. It moved foward and it's still in movement. The major setting it's still in the 40k universe, but the action itself is not static anymore. That's what I mean.

It feels more like a narrative now. And it keeps adavncing with every release so far.

There is no cliffhanger event like there was with the 13th black crusade.

Edited by Sete

Yes, the setting moved forward 110 years... but the point others are trying to make is that we know nothing about what happened, so the arrival of the Primaris seems "sudden".  People wonder how there can be Primaris Veterans, for example, because many players still think we're in 999.M41.

One would expect that if 110 years has passed since 7th Edition, maybe that could have been explored deeper so far.

Yes, the setting moved forward 110 years... but the point others are trying to make is that we know nothing about what happened, so the arrival of the Primaris seems "sudden". People wonder how there can be Primaris Veterans, for example, because many players still think we're in 999.M41.

One would expect that if 110 years has passed since 7th Edition, maybe that could have been explored deeper so far.

It is being explored deeper. I mean the fluff has only been out for a couple of months now.

Plus this gives you a LOT of room to play with in regards to your chapters and armies.

Also, 100 years is plenty of time to develope veterans.

lots of marines don't make it to 100. A couple of hundred years is "old", Cassius was 400ish iirc and considered very old for the ultramarines. Veterans existing makes total sense - however rule wise, there are no veteran primaris marines yet, sergeants are just sergeants, not veteran sergeants. The exception being the limited ed one

It is being explored deeper. I mean the fluff has only been out for a couple of months now.

Also, 100 years is plenty of time to develop veterans.

Of course 100 years is long enough to become a veteran - my point is, people ask because it's not clear even in most of the lore, that we'e now in 111.M42 instead of the previous setting.

Why do so many people not realize that?  Because you have to read pretty deep into the current fluff to find that.

I don't accept the "it's only been a couple of months" excuse - GW has clearly been working on this for much longer than that, and when you change the setting, you bring the reader up to speed at the beginning - you don't leave them in the dark, wondering what's changed and how we got to where we are now.

This isn't about uncovering some ancient mystery - this is recent events.  It's perfectly reasonable to expect a reasonably comprehensive overview of the last century from the start.  And that's my whole point - because that wasn't provided, many players feel like the introduction of Primaris doesn't make much sense.  I'm not complaining because I know a century has passed - but I had to figure that out from little snippets buried deep in timelines and other stuff.  Wouldn't it be better if that was in the easily digestible stuff such as the mini-guides that came in the boxed sets?