Xeno Community Event

Uprising

I think the lens has a thin film on it. That might take out some of the haze seen in the pain boy shots.

You were right, thank you for noticing that. Though I'm meticulous of cleaning my screen from fingerprints and smear on my iPhone, I never thought about the lens. So after cleaning the lens with a detergent it became more clear. 

And with this my vow is complete. I want to give Uprising a big thank you for starting this event. After running out of steam halfway through, this event kept me going until my Orks were done, instead of putting them in a box for "future painting".

gallery_58880_13871_27648.jpg

If you read the IG book Rebelwinter you will learn that the Orks turn their enemies vehicles and Imperial structures into Orkish warmachines. That why the Ultra symbol is on the Stompa. I'm terrible at freehand so that was the only Chapter that would be recognised.

gallery_58880_13871_25456.jpg

Finally finished my Deffkopta

ec2bnWE.jpg

There's some more photos in my thread here (as well as some more crazy conversions)

And with that my vow is done!! :) took a bit longer than expected as I got distracted by life... (and Death Guard)

So here's the group shot

DjGQ213.jpg

Feels good to be done and not have a deadline :)

Good Luck to everyone else! If you haven't finished yet, not long to go!

Calyptra – Just like the Cronos the Talos looks great. Looking forward to seeing Haemonculus finished.

Sabadin – I hope you finish the Broodlord to go with your Genestealers.

The Chaplian – Squinting real hard but the cloaking fields from the Ghostkell are obscuring any Knights that might be lurking nearby. I like the clean yellow you have used there, which yellow is that?

Silvernale – Those are some athletic Mandrakes!

Sviar – Love the mini Stomper.

Brettfp – All hail the IronmanORK!

I have finished my vow, just. Thank you Uprising for running this event. Please do run another next year.

Group shot.

gallery_29932_13461_111783.jpg

Two different angles of the Warriors

gallery_29932_13461_42662.jpg

gallery_29932_13461_62403.jpg

Two shots of the Scarabs (sorry, one is a little out of focus and the other had lightning issues)

gallery_29932_13461_120827.jpg

gallery_29932_13461_71291.jpg

Front and side shots of the Destroyers. The one with the extra gold work is the Heavy Destroyer.

gallery_29932_13461_30480.jpg

gallery_29932_13461_73099.jpg

Final picture of the three units from this event with the two I painted earlier this year for the August Arena. Another unit or two and I’ll have a small army.

gallery_29932_13461_78905.jpg

The Chaplian – Squinting real hard but the cloaking fields from the Ghostkell are obscuring any Knights that might be lurking nearby. I like the clean yellow you have used there, which yellow is that?

Thanks brother! the recipe is as follows:  
1) white undercoat
2) 50/50 mix of vallejo game color fire orange and vallejo game color gold yellow
3) pure gold yellow highlight
4) 50/50 mix gold yellow and valleho game color sun yellow
5) edge highlight with 50/50 sun yellow and VGC moon yellow

Here's my vow at the WIP stage:
27614158639_03f554320f_z.jpg
24525659277_e8c5154251.jpg
38513367645_47e4f385ec.jpg
And completed:
27614292769_39e7b291d5.jpg
39391448861_d698349718.jpg

24525791977_66bcb1d29a_n.jpg
27614212159_c26e94b597_n.jpg

A family photo of everything completed for the xenos challenge!
38683273674_e4a7e40384.jpg
Edited by The_Chaplain

So I had a moment of panic (well, no, it was more of an extended period of dread) because although I finished my Haemonculus (and thus my vow) at 3 am Friday night, my job won't leave me enough time this weekend to shoot, edit, and post decent photos. (I'm writing this in my brief interval between getting home and passing out.)

It turns out we have all next week to post photos! I can do that, provided I don't die of exhaustion and/or frostbite tomorrow. If I'm not doomed, I'm saved!

*Passes out.*

I just want to say, I am so thankful for every single person who enter this event.  I am so proud of the progress of every single person and their vow.  Thank you for making this first xeno event, in my eyes at least, a success. 

We have only a few days left.  After the third of January, everyone has one week to get a group shot.  Then the hard part begins, the judging.  Also happy new years everyone. 

First day of 2018 and I've already completed an event, how many can say that? :laugh.:

gallery_30308_13718_30296.jpg

gallery_30308_13718_37270.jpg

gallery_30308_13718_15529.jpg

Turned into a bit of a saga in the end of my own making, as the Mandrakes have been all but done for a while but glad to finish things off and complete my first xenos vow :smile.: I will be returning to them once I decide what I'm doing with the sides of the bases (stick to the brown, or go with black?). I'll use the group shot time to wait for some decent daylight over the weekend for hopefully much better pictures :smile.:

Keep up the good work everyone, don't want to start 2018 off with failure do you? :wink:

Here's my Haemonculus.

tJeHpoB.jpg

m3sXaE5.jpg

iAh6SLJ.jpg

UJNsTiV.jpg

I don't think I mentioned it before, but I did some conversion work on this model (before the challenge started). Here he is without paint.

v5j632B.jpg

This was a lot of fun to paint. For some reason I'm particularly enamored with his feets (in a cats on the internet way sort of way, rather than a Tarantino sort of way).

Those beans!

jicuW2E.jpg

With the completion of my Haemonculus and his feets, my vow is (somewhat unexpectedly) also complete.

k0EnqCq.jpg

In the end, I spent 156 hours painting these three models over the course of the challenge, which was... challenging. If I attempt something like this again, I'll try to set a more reasonable goal for myself.

I think I'm going to take a break from painting models for a little while. Probably. Maybe. I also seem to have acquired all this Necromunda stuff...

Those are amazing, definitely some of the best Dark Eldar Paintjobs I've seen in awhile, seriously. :) I can see the TLC that has been given to every aspect of those models. It's great work.

And as for myself, I'm afraid I'm going to fail my vow, I bit off too much and underestimated what having your family over for the month would be like. I owe this forum now. 53 days penance scrubbing macro cannons. 

Thanks!

I hear you about family. They're always so uptight and judgemental, and get all bent out of shape over "distractions" and "indulgences" and "torturing people." Some of us can do more than one thing at a time, you know? Some of us like living in the city, and didn't need to take off in an oversized RV so we could spend more time meditating.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the point of a macro cannon is, scrubbed or otherwise, but I suspect the torture pits in the Oubliette of Inelegant Keening could do with a bit of a wash.

I derped, thought I had till the 14th.

I failed me vow

That makes two of us. Failures.

You know, I am not that strict.  If you two think you can get them done and have pictures by the time of voting then go for it.  I simply want models painted. 

That also goes for anyone else. 

Edited by Uprising

I derped, thought I had till the 14th.

I failed me vow

That makes two of us. Failures.

You know, I am not that strict.  If you two think you can get them done and have pictures by the time of voting then go for it.  I simply want models painted. 

That also goes for anyone else. 

Yes m'lord! I am eager to please!