First game of 8th Ed; some questions please :)

rat of vengence

Hi all, 

I dusted off my marines for the first time in nearly 2 years to try out a game of 8th edition. 40K had lost me with it's direction and lack of anything resembling balance, but I was hoping things had improved...

Anyway, my questions.

1. It appears intervening terrain doesn't provide any cover? I was driving my rhino around behind some cover, and was told since it isn't IN the cover, there is no cover?

2. I took a Landspeeder (because fun) and it died quickly and horribly. It appears there is no cover save for fast moving speeders?

3. Are units from the initial Imperial Codex type book thing able to be used with the new codex as well? My opponent took 2 rifleman dreads, 2 twin assault cannon rhinos, 5 man lascannon squads and a captain and a lieutenant so nearly everyone was re-rolling 1's to hit and 1's to wound. Yeah, he's a mate, but he doesn't know how to not cheese it up :P

Thanks,

RoV 

3. Are units from the initial Imperial Codex type book thing able to be used with the new codex as well? My opponent took 2 rifleman dreads, 2 twin assault cannon rhinos, 5 man lascannon squads and a captain and a lieutenant so nearly everyone was re-rolling 1's to hit and 1's to wound. Yeah, he's a mate, but he doesn't know how to not cheese it up :tongue.:

There is a lot of discussion ongoing about the usage of things like the Rifleman Dreadnoughts with two main interpretations floating about. They are entirely legitimate using the FW Mortis Dreadnought datasheet, however (though that is slightly more expensive.)

Twin Assault Cannon Razorbacks are actually in the Codex, though Twin Heavy Flamer/Las+Twin Plas aren't in the Codex.

By 5-man Lascannon squads, do you mean 5 Lascannons, or 4 Lascannons and a 5th man with a Bolter (ie, Sergeant)? The former is, AFAIK, not allowed in the Codex nor the Index datasheet, but the latter is perfectly legitimate in both.

There are two other things to consider with Codex/Index datasheets. Firstly, if there is no Codex datasheet (such as a Chaplain on Bike) then that is absolutely fine to use. Regardless of which datasheet you're using, you should be using the latest rule source for the points - so assuming a Rifleman Dreadnought is ok in your group, you'd use the points for the Dreadnought from the Codex (latest instance) and the points for the Autocannons from the Index (latest instance, as the Codex doesn't contain points for Twin Autocannons.) If, for example, Twin Autocannons got more expensive in the Codex then you'd still use the Index datasheet for the Rifleman but you'd have to pay the increased price for them from the Codex regardless.

Hope that helps!

8th Edition Rulebook, Page 248, "Other units only receive the benefit of cover if at least 50% of every model is actually obscured from the point of view of the shooting unit." So does this mean that the vehicle or "Other units" receives cover only if it is on the terrain piece and is 50% obscured, or does it receive the cover if it is merely 50% obscured by the intervening terrain? The reason why I ask is because just prior on the same page under woods, the rule reads "INFANTRY units that are entirely on the base of a wood receive the benefit of cover." Since they're specifically using the Keyword INFANTRY for that form of cover, does the need to be entirely inside the cover to get the bonus of cover apply?

8th Edition Rulebook, Page 248, "Other units only receive the benefit of cover if at least 50% of every model is actually obscured from the point of view of the shooting unit." So does this mean that the vehicle or "Other units" receives cover only if it is on the terrain piece and is 50% obscured, or does it receive the cover if it is merely 50% obscured by the intervening terrain? The reason why I ask is because just prior on the same page under woods, the rule reads "INFANTRY units that are entirely on the base of a wood receive the benefit of cover." Since they're specifically using the Keyword INFANTRY for that form of cover, does the need to be entirely inside the cover to get the bonus of cover apply?

This only applies for woods, is a special rule (not a standard one) and is clarified in an FaQ as meaning [in the wood and 50% covered]. This is to avoid situations where - say - a relatively large model like an imperial knight has it's feet in the terrain and claims full cover despite largely towering above the trees.