@Vairocanum, thank you! I'm very pleased with the gravis captain overall, even if there are still a few things about it that bug me. I've been casually tinkering with it, trying to iron them out, but nothing's really spoken to me yet.
@Calgar 2.0, cheers! I've actually got a full 2000 point army of Mantis Warriors that I put together from 5th-7th, but the universe has changed so much that they really don't feel like they fit the 42nd millennium. I'll be keeping them around and using them when my group feels like playing older editions, which happens from time to time. I'm looking forward to sinking my teeth into what promises to be an army of in-depth conversions!
@Bob Hunk, I'm afraid it might be a while before I start putting paint on him. The last model I painted was almost a year ago, and I want to get a few practice Intercessors under my belt before starting on either HQ. I've been bitten by starting a new scheme on the prettiest model too many times.
@LordVelype, thanks for the feedback. I agree that the position of the head is a little awkward, but I tried quite a few different positions when I was fitting everything together and this was the closest I could get. Part of it is that the base head from the Deathwatch kit is a little awkwardly angled to begin with, and part of it is that the head is on a curved bit almost like a space marine pauldron, and was a real : to wedge into the body at all. Given the parts I was working with, I'm reasonably pleased, but I made sure to acquire duplicates of all the bits used in making him so that I can tinker with another one when i get a chance.
So, let's talk about Ahazra Redth. This is what I'm currently working on for the Mantis Warriors, and it's pretty frustrating. I was extremely pleased with the conversion I made for my last Space Marine army:
I had three goals when I put this first conversion together. One, that he be a mirror image of the other notable Badab War librarian, Sevrin Loth, whose model I based mine on very heavily. Two, that he be wearing a helmet. I really struggle with Astartes going helmet-less, and the look of a helmet under a psychic hood is something I find really compelling. And three, that he balance the archetypical independent character look of ancient armor and bling with a very measured and functional look. So, this is the sort of thing I want to carry over into my next conversion.
My Ahazra Redth, however, is also going to be a Primaris marine. This means that the range of bits I'm working with is much more limited, but I also have a few more visual markers that I want to unify my more futuristic marines. The Imperial Space Marine anniversary model heavily informs this style. I love the beaky helmet with tubing connecting it to the belt, and the slimmed-down backpack. So I'm going to carry those over to my Primaris, which will hopefully tie them into a sort of retrofuturistic Rogue Trader-esque look.
Anyway, that's a lot of talk for a pretty modest prototype as of right now. I'm debating a few different changes to be made, but this is the model as it currently stands:
You can see how I'm trying to carry over the same visual language as the first model. The gravis face will connect to the rebreather tube, and echo the Mk IV helmet of the first model. The Mk III Deathwatch torso looks somewhat similar to the Mk IV one on the earlier model, although it's going to take a lot of work to blend in. And of course the Apothecary legs are in a roughly similar pose as well.
Now for my dilemma. I'm not thrilled with the Apothecary tabard as it stands. There's not much movement to it, it's covered in medical detailing, and I don't really dig the loincloth look on marines in general. The issue, of course, is that cutting it off (probably for a crotch purity seal as in the earlier model) will leave a lot of weird plastic that'll take some sculpting to make look right. Do y'all think it's worth the effort, or should I try to de-Apothecary the tabard first?
My other progress on this model has mostly involved accumulating bits. The biggest departure from my previous model in the 8th ed rules is that the Dust Prophet's force sword is now specified as a force tulwar. This puts me in a bit of an awkward spot because I absolutely adore the Grey Knights longsword I used on the last model, and there are surprisingly few good curved sword bits in the Space Marine range. I've got some Nemesis falchions on order, and have been experimenting with other solutions, but it's still a really tough nut to crack. This, however, is what I have so far:
I've decided to take the sword in slightly more of a saber direction, for the simple reason of how much I love that Blood Angels hilt. I was initially planning on putting the ricasso from the Nemesis force weapons on it, but a few dry runs convinced me it might look weird. I'm still holding out hope, though! I tried to extend the Overkill scimitar with a leftover Sanguinary Guard blade, but unfortunately I just can't get them to match up smoothly enough. I really like the Overkill blade, but the dragon detailing on it makes it much too short to use by itself. Which leads nicely into my next project:
A very tentative attempt at carving my own blade out of plastic card. It's been slow going so far, and I can't imagine it'll pick up much once I start gapfilling on it, but I was almost pulling my hair out trying to come up with ideas. I'll do some more work on it in the next week and keep you all posted.
So, there you have it! Not as much progress on the Dust Prophet as I had originally hoped to report back with, but a decent amount nonetheless. Would love to hear any input, especially on bit selection. Thanks for looking!