New Codex Incoming!

gunnyogrady

Definitely a concern of mine, WF.  I would prefer that all the regiments offer relatively equivalent strengths, though outliers are acceptable if they're not extreme.  I feel that GW may have gone overboard on the Russes though; Tank Commanders/Pask are going to be absolutely ridiculous with doubled turret weapon shots, BS3+/2+ and no penalty to move and fire, particularly the Punisher and Demolisher (the latter especially true under Catachan Doctrines, which are so far the most powerful IMO).

Couple of thoughts of Mine in regards to DKOK and the Leman Russ buffs.

1) I'm extremely glad that the LR has got these buffs. It was in direct need of one and everything we've seen so far is good news.

2) I don't think we'll get an update for the FW FAQ for a long while. Which is a shame considering I've recently purchased 4 Conqueror turrets.

3) I'm quite miffed that the most effective Armoured Regiment doctrine is Catachan. I understand that it's supposed to be for Sentinels with heavy Flamer and hellhound but I feel they dropped the ball on this one and forgot to put it in the "Mechanised/Armoured Guard Regiment" (Steel Legion) instead of the Jungle Fighters.

4) After being shown the Doctrines that our coming I feel that the Korps have perhaps the weakest Doctrine. The Ice-Age warriors affects them in all situations and they have a superior order for shooting in close combat. Combine that with no Vehicle Doctrine and feel that they missed out on both the original feeling of both the Assault Brigade and Siege Assault lists. Elysian are still good since their deep strike Doctrine affects their vehicles as well and deep striking guard is quite good.

Not massive gripes overall since its still good buffs all around and we haven't got the full codex in front of us.

Ah excellent, A regular Ogryn Bodyguard. That's an unexpected bonus as I don't like taking too many Special Characters if I can help it (Except Yarrick, but he's awesome). That's going to be a very popular unit I'd wager.

Speaking of Special Characters I wonder if we'll see any new (or old) ones for regiments other than Cadian and Catachan? Were there any extras in the AdMech codex so that not everyone just uses Mars to get Cawl? I assume not with no model release which is a shame.

Nothing much.

Infantry get 18" rapid fire

Vehicles count AP 1 as AP 0 (which I find supremely annoying, since most guns youd fire at a tank have a higher AP... so its basically a rule that wont come into play.)

The warlord trait gives +1A and reroll to wounds

The order lets SL infantry embark on a transport in the shooting phase (only if they didnt disembark that turn!)

The stratagem lets you reroll 1s to hit after you deploy from a transport.

All in all, probably the most disappointing rules. The vehicle rules are basically useless, since the only AT with AP1 is autocannons, which... arent exactly common any more. The Stratagem does the same thing as an order, but for CP. The warlord trait wants you to put your squishy officer into CC.

I mean, it would be fine if the vehicle rule let you count AP as one lower than it is. If it was that, Id be fine with it. But having basically everyone get better tanks than SL just kind of hurts... :(

(I play SL, so Im heavily biased, in case you hadnt noticed...)

Here's the article:

Regimental Focus: Armageddon

AMFocus_Armageddon_Banner1lds.jpg

Armageddon is one of the most famous worlds in the entire Imperium, having been the final battleground of a series of enormous wars. In the aftermath of the Third War for Armageddon, the planet is plagued by invasions from Ork and Daemon alike, the entire planet a training ground for the regiments of Astra Militarum that call it home.

AMFocus_Armageddon_Image14kda.jpg

Armageddon armies have long been known for their armoured regiments, but recent events in the Warhammer 40,000 universe have changed the character of the Steel Legion. Constant warfare with Orks has resulted in some regiments being dedicated wholly to Ork hunting, making them deadly combatants at close range – check out this particularly fierce looking Ork Hunter from the codex!

AMFocus_Armageddon_Image17te-391x500.jpg

On the tabletop, Armageddon armies have a series of abilities designed to privilege fast-moving, mechanised warfare.

The Regimental Doctrine

AMFocus_Mordian_Boxout5e.jpg

Industrial Efficiency allows your Guardsmen to lay down a withering hail of fire at midrange – an Infantry Squad with lasguns and the First Rank Fire! Second Rank Fire! Order will be putting out 36 shots at 18” and closer! This is great for units deployed from Chimeras, with the second part of the doctrine helping your light vehicles resist being destroyed by popular weapons like autocannons and heavy bolters.

Best Units

AMFocus_Armageddon_Subheader3l.jpg

AMFocus_Armageddon_Image15os.jpg

Both the Chimera and the Taurox are perfect for getting your infantry into rapid fire range as quickly as possible. Armageddon armies can also deliver a deadly one-two punch by combining their unique order and stratagem:

AMFocus_Mordian_Boxout7rs.jpg

AMFocus_Mordian_Boxout6le-500x64.jpg

Using these rules in tandem, you’ll be able to do maximum damage when disembarking, then re-embark and redeploy without losing a turn of shooting. Armageddon mechanised infantry are going to be very, very hard to pin down in the new codex.

AMFocus_Armageddon_Subheader4rn.jpg

AMFocus_Armageddon_Image16lw.jpg

The Company Commander may not, on the surface, seem like the most imposing of characters, but the new Astra Militarum codex is packed with Heirlooms of Conquest designed to let you turn your HQ choices into powerful tactical assets. The Dagger of Tu’Sakh suits Armageddon armies, allowing you to bring in a unit of Veterans on a particularly vulnerable enemy flank:

AMFocus_Mordian_Boxout8rs.jpg

Meanwhile, Kurov’s Aquila is a great way to pick up some bonus Command Points and take advantage of all the awesome new Stratagems in the codex:

AMFocus_Mordian_Boxout9jdca.jpg

Finally, the Blade of Conquest can turn a Company Commander into a surprisingly threatening close combat character. An Armageddon Company Commander using the Ex-Gang Leader warlord trait can handily dispatch even a Chaos Lord with some lucky rolls!

AMFocus_Armageddon_Boxout11rns-500x70.jp

AMFocus_Armageddon_Boxout10ql.jpg

AMFocus_Armageddon_Boxout19da.jpg

AMFocus_Armageddon_Image13kd.jpg

Worried about your Company Commander not being durable enough? There’s a brand new unit in the codex designed to protect your heroes. The Ogryn Bodyguard can be built from the Ogryn plastic kit, and essentially acts as a customisable Nork Deddog with an ability that allows him to intercept wounds meant for your commanders.

AMFocus_Armageddon_Boxout12jkeda.jpg

Thanks!  I think the 18" RF is probalby the best part, there, especially combined with FRF!SRF!; does it count for Plasma Guns too?  Steel Legion Veteran/Chimera meta could be returning . . . 

Other than that, yeah probably not the best.  I'd have preferred "subtract 1 from AP" of incoming attacks on tanks or something like that.  I'm moderately annoyed we won't be getting a Cadian spoiler before the release, though . . . (other than the Doctrine)

Do we actually have a release date known?

Thanks!  I think the 18" RF is probalby the best part, there, especially combined with FRF!SRF!; does it count for Plasma Guns too?  Steel Legion Veteran/Chimera meta could be returning . . . 

Other than that, yeah probably not the best.  I'd have preferred "subtract 1 from AP" of incoming attacks on tanks or something like that.  I'm moderately annoyed we won't be getting a Cadian spoiler before the release, though . . . (other than the Doctrine)

Plasma Guns are Rapid Fire weapons, so yes. Death Guard already do the same thing with Plasma and their wording is effectively identical in that regard. Also, you'll probably see a large number of AP-1 weapons being fired at vehicles by Chaos and Orks, especially since both the Reaper and Hades Autocannons are -1 AP and Obliterators have a chance of being -1's as well. Loota Deffguns are -1AP too. These issues are probably the big justifications for the Doctrine since Orks and Chaos are the primary antagonists on Armageddon.

Actually depending on what you want for your mech infantry, the steel legion trait is pretty great combined with the mount up order(?). I actually planned on 3 or four chimeras and three infantry squads and a pair of plasma command squads with commander to accompany my armored forces(and give me a battalion for command points). Being able to pop out, do some quick rapid fire damage and hop back in to comparative safety is pretty sweet.

That Aquilia relic, wow. With as fast as everyone so far who has real stratagems bleeds CP that is going to be useful as hell. I cant see any reason not to take it at this point. Every game I have played vs a new codex and my opponent is completely out by turn 3, usually turn 2. I usually make it to turn 3 as well with my chaos. I played an alpha legion force with a brigade +1 and he was done by the end of 2. That's a couple extra CP right there.

Question, it says "Double the number of attacks for rapid fire weapons" so rapid fire 1 becomes rapid fire 2? So a lasgun rolls 4 shots at rapid fire range instead of the normal 2?

Plasma Guns are Rapid Fire weapons, so yes. Death Guard already do the same thing with Plasma and their wording is effectively identical in that regard. Also, you'll probably see a large number of AP-1 weapons being fired at vehicles by Chaos and Orks, especially since both the Reaper and Hades Autocannons are -1 AP and Obliterators have a chance of being -1's as well. Loota Deffguns are -1AP too. These issues are probably the big justifications for the Doctrine since Orks and Chaos are the primary antagonists on Armageddon.

Forgot....Tau can have boatloads of AP-1. Missile Pods (Normal and High Yield) and Heavy Burst Cannons come to mind, but there are others

Question, it says "Double the number of attacks for rapid fire weapons" so rapid fire 1 becomes rapid fire 2? So a lasgun rolls 4 shots at rapid fire range instead of the normal 2?

I think it means rapid fire at 18" rather than become rapid fire 2

Edited by Harrowmaster

That's the way I read it

Uh, no? It references doubling the number of shots for rapid fire at 18 instead of 12. Do your lasguns normally fire at 4 shots in rapid? No.

It says that they double their attacks at 18 inches "rather than half the weapon's range as normal." Rapid Fire weapons double their attacks at half range, so all this does is allow the doubling to happen at 18, just like Death Guard.

I can see a lot of application for these rules in competitive play. Top Three are:

1) Catachan Doctrine: for those wishing to take Conscripts and Vehicles to support an Imperial Friends list, the +1S and +1Ld and re-rolling # of hits, respectively, are excellent allrounder buffs. Especially along with general Russ buffs.

2) Tallarn Doctrines: I think for competitive play, the extra mobility of these Doctrines is going to be a clincher. It's hard to compare a mechanic like mobility to one like damage output, but I think competitive lists thrive on being able to take damage, put out damage, AND move around the board quickly.

3) Cadian Doctrine: solid buffs to shooting, and the ability to take Pask (!) is going to be very enticing for Imperial Soup car-parks as well.

I am biased though (to Tallarn), and I think all of the leaks so far have revealed Doctrines that support viable, strong builds, both as allies and standalone Guard.

Same here. I play SL (and DKoK) and have mixed feelings about the SL Regimental rules. Rapi fire 18" might turn out to be good, but I am not impressed by giving vehicles extra protection vs anti-infantry weapons. At least the orders and straffens where thematic

Actually depending on what you want for your mech infantry, the steel legion trait is pretty great combined with the mount up order(?). I actually planned on 3 or four chimeras and three infantry squads and a pair of plasma command squads with commander to accompany my armored forces(and give me a battalion for command points). Being able to pop out, do some quick rapid fire damage and hop back in to comparative safety is pretty sweet.

Can't use the order if you disembarked this turn.

I'm personally pretty excited for the dagger relic. Triple plasma vets on the enemy flank, anyone?

I don't know about you, but I am gonna give it to a Priest. Outflank with my Ponies, and throw a Company Commander. Now my Ponies have two attacks each other. And less likely to rubber lance. All for the cost of another Pony Squad