3k Word Bearers - Last of the Serrated Sun

The Red Angel

Hi guys, just after some critique on this list:

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [2996pts] ++

+ HQ +

Legion Centurion [170pts]: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Burning Lore, Combi-Weapon, Refractor Field, Thunder Hammer

. Consul: Chaplain

Librarian [150pts]: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, None, Power Weapon, Psychic Mastery Level 2, Refractor Field

. Consul: Librarian

Zardu Layak [275pts]: Anakatis Kul Blade-slaves

+ Elites +

Gal Vorbak Dark Brethren [335pts]: 7x Dark Brethren, 2x Power Weapon

. Dark Martyr: Artificer Armour, Power Fist

Legion Rapier Weapons Battery [150pts]

. Legion Rapier Weapons Battery: Graviton Cannon

. Legion Rapier Weapons Battery: Graviton Cannon

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad [281pts]: Legion Drop Pod, Veteran Tactics: Marksmen

. Legion Veteran Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Thunder Hammer

. . Combi-weapon: Combi-weapon: Flamer

. Legion Veteran Space Marines: Bolt Pistol, Chainsword or Combat Blade

Mhara Gal Tainted Dreadnought [305pts]

+ Troops +

Gal Vorbak Dark Brethren [350pts]: 4x Dark Brethren, Power Weapon

. Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod: Frag Assault Launchers

. Dark Martyr: Artificer Armour, Power Fist

Legion Tactical Squad [180pts]: Legion Drop Pod, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines

. Additional Wargear: Bolters

. Legion Tactical Sergeant: Artificer Armour

. . Power Weapon: Power Sword

+ Fast Attack +

Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod [115pts]: Frag Assault Launchers

+ Heavy Support +

Legion Kharybdis Assault Claw [235pts]

+ Allegiance +

Legion and Allegiance: XVII: Word Bearers, Traitor

Rite of War: Last of the Serrated Sun

+ Lords of War +

Lorgar [450pts]: Lorgar Transfigured

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) ++

++ Total: [2996pts]

I've found I really struggle getting Word Bearers and Serrated Sun to work. Just didn't fit my idea I had for them.

Idea was for layak to be spitting daemons out, probably lesser daemons and greater daemons.

Libby and chappy either ride with the vet squad or the big Vorbak squad.

Lorgar goes with the big Vorbak squad and goes in the Kharybdis.

the Grav guns are pure anti tank.

I wanted to avoid a storm eagle as I rather have Lorgar on the board.

First of all, you can't take GV as elit slots with this ROW so why taking a tac squadwhen you can fill you mandatory troop slots with GV ? 

For scoring units you can take vets, seekers, termis or support guys. All of them are better alternative to tac squad and can bring more resilience and/or firepower. And I think that you have too much points in HQS for a 3K list. Either drop the liby or Zardu to get more stable fire power like a sicaran or a support dread. 

And Zardu alone in a pod is kind of a waste. Recently, I tried the super squad with Zardu, slaves, Lorgar, centu and maybe a primus medicae all in a dreadclaw. You could also drop the kharibdys for a std dreadclaw. 

On a side note, you can't have 2 power weapons for 7 Gal Vorbaks, it's one for every five. 

Little trick for you centurions: get them a boarding shields to cancel the charge bonus against your units. 

But it seems that you really lack a good gunline and you would be better with one more scoring unit. 

First of all, you can't take GV as elit slots with this ROW so why taking a tac squadwhen you can fill you mandatory troop slots with GV ?

So this was basically because I wanted to run Lorgar with the Vorbak, and have them pod down. Could only do this via Vorbak in elites as the Row states that Vorbak taken as troops MUST take either dreadclaw or drop pod. leaving no room for Lorgar. So tac squad was a cheap scoring unit.

For scoring units you can take vets, seekers, termis or support guys. All of them are better alternative to tac squad and can bring more resilience and/or firepower. And I think that you have too much points in HQS for a 3K list. Either drop the liby or Zardu to get more stable fire power like a sicaran or a support dread.

Yeah I've wanted to add terms but I'm just put off a little by not having FW cataphract pads for them but also unsure what specific role they'd have? They'd be armed with claws and TH for fluff. Sicaran is a good shout, was gonna throw the new Arcus in there? Normal siccy might be a shout too.

And Zardu alone in a pod is kind of a waste. Recently, I tried the super squad with Zardu, slaves, Lorgar, centu and maybe a primus medicae all in a dreadclaw. You could also drop the kharibdys for a std dreadclaw.

Jeese, lot of points in one place. Wasn't sure regarding the ruling with Layak and his slaves and anyone joining? My plan for Layak was basically Daemon summoning so get might be better off without dumb and dumber?

On a side note, you can't have 2 power weapons for 7 Gal Vorbaks, it's one for every five.

Yup, just a mistake, should have removed the 2nd power wep.

Little trick for you centurions: get them a boarding shields to cancel the charge bonus against your units.

Tactically, solid shout, seen PeteHappens add one of these guys to a 20man infiltrating RG squad. they sit on objectives and don't move xD but means I'd have to model a dude with a big ass shield which seems a pain for fluff.

But it seems that you really lack a good gunline and you would be better with one more scoring unit.

Yeah I do feel I'm lacking firepower.

Perhaps Lorgar with some terms, Vorbak down to 2 5 mans in Anvillus. Layak drops his pals and joins a squad in a pod. drop the tacts. a support squad somewhere maybe and Then some more Heavy Support?

Any specific hs choices?

Cheers again for the help

Good point, never thought of that use of the GV as elit for a Kharybdis. 

Again at 3k, you're too short on points to get everything. In most cases I think you will end up either tabling your opponent or losing on objectives due to low unit count and lack of scoring units. Up to you on that side. 

If you really want to get cheesy, you can run Lorgar with a plasma support squad. Put him at the front line to tank all damage with precog, add some prescience/levitation/forewarning/perfect timing to get a hard pew pew units that can also shoot like hell almost everything. 

Concerning Lorgar with some guys you only have the command squad that can do the job and still leave enough room for the big guy. 

To be honest my current 3k list with this rite has no Lorgar or Kharybdis and focus more on GV squads. A bit more standard but pretty good in all aspect. 

Concerning HS slots, I have never experienced the Arcus but I think that he is mainly good to take down heavy infantry like termies or custodes and decent to destroy medium tanks. The std sicaran is more balanced and can fit almost every role and can be quite good at dealing with flying threats so it mainly depends on what type of gun you need if you lack some hard av the las vindi is a good option. Fire raptor is good too and scrier's gaze on Lorgar can bring it quite reliably on t2. Leviathan in pods is a very good choice too. As you can see almost all Heavy Support slots are good but it really rely on what synergize the most with the rest of your army. I'd say build a list by filling the two mandatory slots with Gv and then add 2/3 good scoring units then spend some points on the HQS and with the rest of the points fill you HSS slots and elit slots to complement the whole. 

• 2 weeks later...

As you must choose a Pod as Transport for the Gal Vorbak you can't take bigger squads as 5 men.

A time ago I asked FW via email as this is intended and they sad yes only squads of 5 in the LoSS RoW.