How to incorporate Primaris Marines into Space Wolves

Kasper_Hawser

Greetings all. I know there’s a thread called “The Primaris Space Marines (“Primaris SM”) and Space Wolves” but after going through half of its pages, I think the thread is mostly about how Primaris SM fit from a fluff perspective into Space Wolves once introduced. I don’t want to get into that, but after a couple of months into 8th edition and the introduction of the so called “new marines” as we were calling Primaris then, I’m beginning to admit that they’re growing on me. They won’t ever make me abandon my original Space Wolves and go full bandwagon Primaris, but I now want to make the effort to incorporate some of them into my army.

In other words, let’s start with how to fit the crunch of the Primaris SM with the Vlka Fenryka. Answer isn’t so clear cut when even among Space Wolves we have so many different varied styles. But I want to give the Primaris SM a go and would like to share my plans and have your feedback on my ideas.

So far, I’ve bought a box of Reivers as well as Inceptors. In line with my play style, my troops have the main job of holding the line, grabbing objectives and if necessary, deliver the necessary punch to KO my opponent. Everthing else in my list is to support my troops, be they the Wulfen, the Terminators, the Long Fangs or the Stormwolf/fangs.

The Reivers I bought because they looked exceptionally fearsome, and because they’re one of the few Primaris marines who can get around the table without needing the bastard child of a Land Raider and Land Speeder via their grab chutes or grapnel for a measly 4 ppm. A bit pricy but they do have power armour and 2 wounds compared to Wolf Scouts who have 1 wound and 4+.

So I’m going to use Reivers to replace my terminators as backline harrassers. Specfically targeting the Ruin Campers who stay on the top floors. If I’m not mistaken, with the grapple hooks, I can deepstrike 9” away vertically from the tall ruin, then completely ignore the 6” height it when I charge. If I do my trigonometry correctly, I’ll only need 5 inches to charge the cover campers.

Thus tying up the enemy heavy support for a turn.

Meanwhile, my Inceptors will combine with my Stormwolf filled with Wulfen to get in the face Turn 1 and 2, aiming for their other big guns or elite units in a storm of plasma and claws. Troops as always, hold the midfield supporting and softening up everything for the elite troops.

Preliminary 2000 list:

Njal Stormcaller in termie armour

Wolf Lord/Battle leader with Jump Pack

5-6 Wulfen with TH/SS and axes

Stormwolf with heavy bolters

3 squads of GH/BC in Assault Cannon razorbacks

2 squads of 5 Reivers with big bolt pistol and CCW

2 squads of Long Fangs with missiles and Las.

Autocannon Predator tank

Inceptors squad with Plasma extermmintaros

Thoughts? Or rather how have you all been using your Primaris?

Next primaris I’ll get is most likely the Redemptor Dreadnought, but I don’t like the idea of it stealing the limelight away from Bjorn.

I quite like the idea as painting up Reivers as sort of super-scouts, they fit very well in that role.

I have to admit that I am not taken with Inceptors. While their speed and firepower is decent, they are incredibly fragile. 180 points for 6 T5 wounds will not last long. Perhaps I haven't practised with them enough but they look like an easy kill to me.

I really do like my Helllblasters though, particularly if I am taking Bjorn anyway. They walk up the field with him to benefit from his reroll bubble while overcharging their plasma incinerators. Their firepower is impressive and at <15" range they can gun down a Dreadnought (or equivalent) in a single volley.

The Redemptor looks pretty but I cannot decide on a role for it. The Macro plasma cannon is threatened by high variance in its output. The Dakka version is very solid but you already have 3 TAC Razorbacks to meet your horde-clearance needs.

I quite like the idea as painting up Reivers as sort of super-scouts, they fit very well in that role.

I have to admit that I am not taken with Inceptors. While their speed and firepower is decent, they are incredibly fragile. 180 points for 6 T5 wounds will not last long. Perhaps I haven't practised with them enough but they look like an easy kill to me.

I really do like my Helllblasters though, particularly if I am taking Bjorn anyway. They walk up the field with him to benefit from his reroll bubble while overcharging their plasma incinerators. Their firepower is impressive and at <15" range they can gun down a Dreadnought (or equivalent) in a single volley.

The Redemptor looks pretty but I cannot decide on a role for it. The Macro plasma cannon is threatened by high variance in its output. The Dakka version is very solid but you already have 3 TAC Razorbacks to meet your horde-clearance needs.

Well the Reivers are super scouts, but like all Primaris, are too anal and inflexible about their wargear whereas the old Wolf Scouts can potentially cripple a critical unit behind enemy lines with a plasma gun/melta gun, plasma pistol and combi plasma. Still, on paper they look decent in close combat against non-fearless units and my main use for them is to go after the cover campers. Or at least give his backline predators something to shot at. I guess in terms of cost efficiency, Wolf Scouts might be better and cheaper, but like I said I want to give the Primaris a chance.

As for the Inceptors, they're the only other Primaris that don't need the Repulsor to get around. I still don't like the idea of Hellblasters footslogging up the table, especially with those new Predator cannons. Despite only AP -1, just one failed save and its bye bye to your expensive 2 wound unit. Inceptors at least can deepstrike and zip around the place, unleashing at least 6 plasma shots up to a maximum of 18. That's more reliable than the Hellblasters in my opinion. Plus they can charge, and even if they are charged, with T5 and 2 wounds, they MAY survive to fly away and shoot again.

The Repulsor and Redemptor Dreadnought, I can't help but feel like a dick if i field these guys. They have an obscene amount of weapons that is unheard of outside of superheavies in the past and cost a bomb to bring even a basic set up. I've got enough heavy weapons in the form of Long Fangs and Flyers, so those 2 are on the backburner for now.

Like I said, the way I'm thinking is giving a role to the Primaris SM in a Space Wolves army and making it work. Not have the list work around the Primaris.

I've taken a shine to the Aggressors. Yes only Str4 shooting but boy do they deliver them. Park them in cover and fire away. 

With the popularity of hoard list (conscripts...horrors...ORKS), being able to deliver 90 shots when standing still with the Boltstorm loadout is quite valuable.

I've taken a shine to the Aggressors. Yes only Str4 shooting but boy do they deliver them. Park them in cover and fire away. 

With the popularity of hoard list (conscripts...horrors...ORKS), being able to deliver 90 shots when standing still with the Boltstorm loadout is quite valuable.

Any idea how to get them into range though? I like them too (what Centurions should look like in the first place) but once again the inability to fit them even in a freaking Land Raider makes me wary of walking them up the board. and even Horde armies will have a few big guns capable of sniping the Agressors 

I've had decent success just walking them a short distance or immediately deploying them into cover. Most horde list will close range with you anyway and the 18" range isn't as detrimental as it looks. I have contemplated getting a Repulsor with a full dakka load out to move them around too but haven't gotten round to it yet.

The Repulsor and Redemptor Dreadnought, I can't help but feel like a dick if i field these guys. They have an obscene amount of weapons that is unheard of outside of superheavies in the past and cost a bomb to bring even a basic set up. I've got enough heavy weapons in the form of Long Fangs and Flyers, so those 2 are on the backburner for now.

I would not feel that way, they are huge magnets, My expericence they will die quick. I have been moving away from vehicles, especially Dreads, predators. They just get destroyed fast. I even have to add more bodies on my long fangs / devastor units so they can last longer.

Personally for my Primeris space wolves, I am bringing one Repulsor and 1 Redemptor, both kitted out for daka. I put aggressors, primaris Wolf lord in gravis, Primaris wolf priest, and Primaris LT in the repulsor, and gun it up table to some thing that need beating on. Reivers will meet them there as another destraction.

I'm working on a unit of reivers myself. People may look at them as inflexible, but in my mind, it helps identify exactly what they're used for: backfield harassment. In my opinion, even with Behind Enemy Lines making a comeback, Wolf Scouts can't decide what they want to do. And without the Concealed Positions rule of their cousins, Wolf Scouts can't really help affect deployment. Reivers can halfway do this with grav-chutes. It's a trade off of flexibility of maneuver vs flexibility of gear. Just my $.02.

I really like the look of the models, especially the dreadnought. But, considering how many times I've been burned on buying something and then it becomes unusable a few months later (ironclad deadnought), I'll wait for our codex to see what they do then.

I've had decent success just walking them a short distance or immediately deploying them into cover. Most horde list will close range with you anyway and the 18" range isn't as detrimental as it looks. I have contemplated getting a Repulsor with a full dakka load out to move them around too but haven't gotten round to it yet.

guess I'll try the baby Centurions. Or rather, what the Centurions should have been in the first place.

I'll then paint one yellow and he can be my Aggressor Bear. :P Sorry, been watching too much TTS.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Rather than doing a new post, may as well not waste this old post which I made almost a year ago when discussing how to use Primaris with normal Space Wolves.

Just an update on my list building. Sadly my efforts in past year to incorporate Primaris have not been very successful though far from disastrous. Meaning while I lost all my games which I used Primaris, I didn't lose BECAUSE i used Primaris. They did their job, but sadly in my meta, there's just too many Knights, super heavies, or just plain more efficient gunlines that supercede my Intercessors.

I haven't given up on them, and recently after reading War of Secrets by Phil Kelly, it has inspired me somewhat to play similar to the novel which kind of make sense: Meaning a Repulsor with 2 teams, one Intercessor and one Hellblaster. In novel, they were led by a lieutenant but for some reason, the hellblaster squad was only 3 man, so he could also ride in the Repulsor. Doesn't translate to tabletop, but I don't think it's a bad idea playing aggressively like that.

Unfortunately, not only was it Knight madness the past few week, now there's Kill Team madness. So may not be able to find a normal game. Still for discussion, I submit my latest Space Wolves Task force with Primaris elements for your feedback:

Battalion

Wolf Lord on bike with Storm bolter and Thunderhammer

Rune Priest on bike with Runic Axe and armour

Iron Priest on foot with bolter

6 Wulfen - 3 with TH/SS, leader with Frost claws, other 2 naked

5 man intercessors with grenade launcher, sergeant with chainsword

4 man Inceptors with Assault Bolters

Repulsor with all the anti-infantry works - a whopping 8 anti-infantry guns, at least 6 are AP-1.

Spearhead

Wolf Guard battle leader with Jump pack, BP and Chainsword

5 man long Fangs (1 Lascannon, 1 Missile and 1 Plasma Cannon)

5 man long Fangs (1 Lascannon, 1 Heavy Bolter and 1 Plasma Cannon)

5 man Hellblasters with plasma incinerators

So what is my general plan? Simple really, make sure the Repulsor gets to Dakka every round. So far in my games, at least 2 things die every time that thing shoots, even vehicles if you focus enough anti-infantry at it. So how do i make it survive? That's where the Wulfen come in. they deal with the Wulfen or the repulsor. But the main push will come in Turn 2 when rest of my infantry will outflank as much as i can spare CP or I can see a gap in the line.

Inside the Repulsor will probably be a Hellblaster and a intercessor squad. But if the enemy tanks are exposed, I might outflank the Hellblasters instead.

All the while, the main damage will come from my 3 Long Fangs from afar. Doesn't look much I know, but so far my Schizo loadout has been doing well in taking down or damaging stuff to manageable levels. The other reason for the Repulsor and Wulfen, both will also draw aggro away from my Long Fangs.

Thoughts?

Still for discussion, I submit my latest Space Wolves Task force with Primaris elements for your feedback:

Battalion

Wolf Lord on bike with Storm bolter and Thunderhammer

Rune Priest on bike with Runic Axe and armour

Iron Priest on foot with bolter

6 Wulfen - 3 with TH/SS, leader with Frost claws, other 2 naked

4 man Inceptors with Assault Bolters

Repulsor with all the anti-infantry works - a whopping 8 anti-infantry guns, at least 6 are AP-1.

Spearhead

Wolf Guard battle leader with Jump pack, BP and Chainsword

5 man long Fangs (1 Lascannon, 1 Heavy Bolter and 1 Plasma Cannon)

5 man Hellblasters with plasma incinerators

Thoughts?

My main concern is that Repulsor. It is a lovely model with with enough guns to level a detachment but it is your only vehicle which means it will be the target of anti-tank weapon your opponent has. It is only a durable as an IG Russ which means most armies won't have trouble taking it out in one round.

My experience with 8th is that you need to go either tank-heavy or drop tanks completely. Running a balanced army with a couple of vehicles will just give easy targets to your opponent's anti-tank guns. Either go all-infantry and deny him high-value targets for his big guns or mech up heavily to mess up his target prioritization and make sure some of your big stuff survives.

Drop some units like the Iron priest (he won't do much with only 1 tank to mend) and a few other units and get some more tanks. Razorbacks provide transport and protection for the Long Fangs while bringing respectable firepower of their own. A Stormwolf will pack a punch and provide a way to get those Wulfen where they need to be going.

I understand your concept of using the Repulsor and Wulfen to draw fire on Turn 1, the problem is that they are too valuable to use in this role IMHO. If you want a distraction-Carnifex, invest in a shield Dread or two. These guys can stomp towards the enemy shrugging off massive amounts of anti-tank firepower for fewer points and still pack a punch if they get there alive.

@ Karherouk - I get what you mean, i'm not providing enough target saturation to protect the Repulsor, and I'm using a valuable Wulfen unit as meatshield/distraction carnifex when they should be smashing face.

Which is why I'll be playing very cautiosly. I'm not going to exactly put the Repulsor or Wulfen out out in the open on Turn 1. One thing good about my meta is that is is normally terrain heavy, so having everyone's gunline able to focus fire on something is a rarity. So I'll be making sure my repulsor and Wulfen advance cautiously, rather than in the open, hugging terrain, picking targets and if using ITC rules, getting into cover ASAP. Difficulty but I think the Repulsor is slightly less "Fat" than Land Raiders so it is more likely to get behind LOS I think. And if all else fails, the Rune Priest is using Stormcaller.

Ultimately, I hope to avoid the worse firepower by Turn 2. Let my opponent try to target or chase after my Repulsor for turn 1, while my Long Fangs snipe at him from afar with their natural rerolls and the wolf guard battle leader supporting them behind. Even if the Repulsor is degraded to last tier, it is still 5+ to hit, and with that many guns, as many as 30 shots if I'm good with my dice rolls. And my Wolf Lord will be making sure most of them hit.

As in everything else, deployment will be key, to avoid his concentration of firepower. Until turn 2 when the Inceptors, the outflankers come out to give him target saturation.

Just hope the 10" plus advancing is enough to hide behind something. The last time I killed a Repulsor, it took me 2 Long Fangs and a Hellblaster outflanker worth of firepower to kill it over 2 turns. I'll be taking the auto-launcher (can fire smoke every round) just in case.

Archived