So I've been on a secret mission.... to get into a different army that is not 'power armoured'.

I love my Ultra's, and my Thousand Sons/Chaos but I have built/painted/played most of the armies in the game that interested me.

AdMech is different. I've played against them a fair amount. I play at our local GW, and a few groups of friends. I have to say the height of Power Armour at the store these days is insane. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a dozen power armoured armies. (Not that I recommend doing so!)

So it turns out the codex is around the corner. So I thought I'd post a shot of my last game:

I am struggling to find something I like that also motivates me like Thousand Sons/ Red Corsairs / Ultra.

I was on my back foot vs Renegades (FW) :

gallery_2760_13290_176679.jpg

Even though I commit to playing "Cawl Wall", I do a lot of damage back. (All the Artillery Renegades have is sick... S10, 2 x Laser Rapiers, and indirect 10 x D6 S4 is brutal, and untouchable)

gallery_2760_13290_323558.jpg

Dual Onager Dune Crawlers with Cawl were fantastic. I forgot a Datasmith, never got to change protocols. I swapped out two of my 4 Dunestriders to get a squad of rangers with sniper dude in them.. big mistake. I like those walkers... all of them.

I never scored a point after T2 to t5, and then on T5 I scored 4 points, but he was already at 13. I did hit 12 to his 16 going into T7 but I had the bottom of the turn, drew up my 3 cards and all were impossible at that point in the game.

He started annihilating me and by mid game I thought I was going to be swamped in zombies, but I did fend them off. The walkers with repairing HQ's running around are very good I think. He had so much trouble actually finishing off those units. But the two squads of Kastellan Robots were a huge threat, and one squad survived the game. SO they always took most shots.

Mobility and staying power (combined in a unit) is a massive issue. I always despise using allies, but the golden boys would fit this army very well. (custodes). That being said ti was a fun game, I came within 2 points of tying it up, but I went back and looked and EVERY card I drew until T7 was 'hold something' which is probably what I felt I was least suited towards.

Baller lasted the game, he had a lot of Ogryn, possessed, zombies and deposits of artillery. It was a very good list I'd say. It mimics Astra fairly well even with sprinkles of walkers, banewolfs, chimera's etc. (IE: Similar playstyle)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Kudos to my friend. He's had this army since inception, but he doesn't like it as much as his other armies and I'm fortunate enough to borrow it while I buy some stuff, and fumble around in the dark like a fool trying to find my way.

I started to work on a Onager Dunecrawler (Love the las type weapon) and was going Metalica (it's rare) and I also like the main stream red colour however it has become apparent there will be different Strategums for different Forgeworlds! So a bad choice in my first unit could suck!

HaHa Prot's doing Ad-Mech... i laugh not at your choice of army(super cool) but at the fact that i know by the time i have another unit finished...your entire army will be done :biggrin.:

the kastelans are def Sliced bread in this edition :wub:, your lucky you had a mate to let you "test out" the army and not let you mistakenly buy toys you like but never use...  yes sicarians we're looking at you :sad.: .

Good luck with your army Prot, perhaps hold off on the paint job till you find out what buff's certain factions will get :whistling: 

Cheers, Mithril 

Just for interest sake, what list were you running?

Also, which were your best/worst performing units?

Love the photo battle reports, mate. More, please :smile.:

Well my list was something I was calling the "Cawl Wall". Cawl and his Aura in mid table with 3 Cataphron destroyers, 2 Techpriests (vanilla) (One to complete the Batallion, one to make the Spearhead).

I used two units of Skitarii, but the choice I made was vanilla Vanguards to get myself extra Sydonian Dragoons. However my friend talked me into swapping them for Rangers instead with a pair of Arecbus'. (which I just did not care for. I know from trying Scouts with my UM how little mileage I seem to get from them. They feel too expensive).

So anyway.... I had a squad of 2 Ironstrider Ballistarii, and 2 Sydonian dragoons. These were set up on the flank to allow them to break off, or try to push for an objective that I knew 'Cawl Wall' would never reach.

Cawl wall sat around 2 units of 2 Kastelan Robots. 2 shooty ones, 2 Incdendine Combustor CC bots.  These were money, but I forgot to include a Datasmith. I had them in Aegis for the whole game... I had trouble explaining to my opponent that in such a case I could 'bounce' invuln saves of 5+ back to him. I don't think he believed me, so I started to doubt I had this right.... 

Finally I had 2 Onager Dunecrawlers. On paper I loved the Neutron Lasers and fit them both with it. I can't see changing that. They were the singly solution I had for deep rooted backfield heavy hitters on my opponent's table edge.

It wasn't much of a batrep, but thanks for reading it! I do a lot of pictured batreps with my Chaos/UM, etc.... but I'm just messing around with these guys. :)

The 'worst' unit was the Skitarii Rangers. Just way too light on firepower. Not able to contribute in any meaningful way. Halfway through the game I wish they were closer to 'cultists' so at least I could clog some holes with cheap chaff, but they aren't quite there.  Kataphron Destroyers were also fairly mediocre. Without being able to Overcharge like I can with marines... (if I use an Aura based Marine army, far less chance a guy goes down since he's usually got 1-2 shots, and does NOT re-roll 3's (this adds up to more explosions). Also a 'fatality' from these guys is much more punishing than losing a Helblaster dude. I think I'd stick to Heavy Grav in the future.)

The rest of the army was impressive, but nothing was as purely flexible as.... take a guess.... Kastelan Robots. Both configs do some work. People make wide circles around them, probably the worst thing being when I was tied up around Chaos zombies.

The speed of the Sydonian Dragoons, and those Taser Lances combined with the speed of the Ironstrider is a lot of fun. Not necessarily game changing, but they feel like an instant staple since we play either tourney style games or Maelstrom so much.

But I friggin love the Onager Dunecrawler with Neutron Lasers in pairs minimum... I'd go three if I could insulate them with Cawl better, but the list feels thin already!

HaHa Prot's doing Ad-Mech... i laugh not at your choice of army(super cool) but at the fact that i know by the time i have another unit finished...your entire army will be done :biggrin.:

the kastelans are def Sliced bread in this edition :wub:, your lucky you had a mate to let you "test out" the army and not let you mistakenly buy toys you like but never use...  yes sicarians we're looking at you :sad.: .

Good luck with your army Prot, perhaps hold off on the paint job till you find out what buff's certain factions will get :whistling:

Cheers, Mithril 

Thanks. I don't know how much I'll get done. The army definitely has issues but I loved the feel of it. I just don't know how it could possibly win against 3 extremes: 1 Extreme ranged shooting (astra). 2. Extreme psychic armies (GK/Thousand Sons/Magnus) and 3. Extreme speed assault (Nids/some Chaos/Orks)

You can't retreat without penalty and are so boxed in that it might not be possible. A lot of Tau have fly and they feel a little bit similar to this army.... but with fly.

But that being said they are fun, and I like the aesthetic. I'm  trying to find a non-power armoured army to call my own. This is one of the few armies I have not done.

And yes, I'm very lucky to have a friend lend me the army..

For painting.. well I just bought a 'Start Collecting' box. The army is super expensive it seems for the non-start collecting boxes.... I put together the Onager Dunecrawler and magnetized the Neutron Laser. I wanted to try a crack at 'Metalica" Forgeworld..

I'm such an idiot. They could have some really underwhelming Strategums. :) 

I really like Mars/Metalica but the red is extremely common/popular. 

I picked up a couple of get started boxes last year after also similarly growing bored with power armour (had painted a lot of space wolves in the two years previous), and ive found my admech to be a really nice alternative,

Painting mine up in metalica scheme which i really like (despite hating the name!), and has been the first time painting large white parts which was also a first for me...starting to get used to it!

Ive still not got round to picking up cawl (who seems an auto include for most players this edition), and not played a game of 8th with my admech yet, but really looking forward to the codex release to see what extra gubbins it will give us (currently sat at around 1250 points of pure admech, so want to see what we get before bringing in any reinforcements).

Hard to go wrong with kastelan robots and onagers on paper though!

Cawl can choose to re-roll any to hit roll, so you don't have to risk plasma kataphrons... Even though I agree that grav is likely the better option.

Also consider the Icarus Onager. 

Icarus looks very cool... I just love the long distance, deathdealing love of the Neutron. But I'm sure I'll give ti a whirl. :)

@ Prot - everyone here has good advice and you seem to have naturally Gravitated towards the auto includes (i do remember though making my first Onager as a "Jimmy Neutron" and copping flak about it...i guess i'm the one laughing now :rolleyes: . 2 units of Kastelans shooty and CC are def a must this edition...haven't skimmed the new rules but i always thought the Sony walkman data smith was an auto include with the unit?!? ... he's kinda a monster on his own really.

after 2-3 Jimmy Neutrons i would say an Icarus array would be the next step... is the Invul buff for 3 or more dune crawlers still around ?...

paint scheme's - my first 2 units- Ranger and Vanguard and onager are mars themed but now I'm actually painting my army up in a generic fallout 4 theme (slowly) so i guess i'll choose whichever faction buff suits me and my play style, but your a stickler for codex adherence aren't you??:biggrin.:

So we know for a fact your play scene is (from seeing your previous posts and batreps) very competitive to say the least,before even knowing what new Ad-mech index stuff is coming we can safely say we know that they're not top tier and have obvious flaws,as a standard army i.e. pick up games,campaigns with friends etc they are absolutely wonderful,fun themed, pretty models etc... from what little we really know of you from here it seems your a very competitive player (not in a cheesy whiny way form my observation) i really don't know if Ad-Mech will suit your strive for absolute excellence from an army type zeal...:blush.:

anyway my 2 cents, i really hope you do make a go of Ad-mech,such a fun army to paint & play...only real problem being that some of the units you want a few of to be viable are just so damn expensive dollarwi$e :down:

cheers, Mithril     

I find that expired feline rotation to be an inefficient use of one's time. :P

I'm currently in the transition phase of the previous codex just pushing you to collect one of everything to the new environment where stacking up on certain units is a must. I am feeling a bit uncomfortable at the thought of building squadrons of Onagers, Dragoons and such. I guess I'll have to learn to paint quicker somehow.

Cawl can choose to re-roll any to hit roll, so you don't have to risk plasma kataphrons... Even though I agree that grav is likely the better option.

Also consider the Icarus Onager. 

Icarus looks very cool... I just love the long distance, deathdealing love of the Neutron. But I'm sure I'll give ti a whirl. :smile.:

Quantity has a quality all its own, especially when the quantity is quality fire. 

Icarus is a bit of a pain to magnetize, but I forsee myself mostly using it and the neutron laser. Pure gold against any army with fly. Almost downed an Annihilation barge in a single turn, but he used a command point to re-roll a failed save.

Thanks for the great advice guys... 

And Mithril, wow you certainly seem to understand my situation well. And yes it can be a competitive environment. The 'regulars' at GW are usually pretty hardcore, rarely changing armies and refining for ITC events, but there are a few groups I play with that are very good people and it can be all over the map. Some only play full tilt. It's netlist city, and some just play what they like so I like to be able to play the whole gambit.

I love the whole hobby so while it's gotta be fun to paint, it's also gotta be fun to play.

I'm really on the fence about Admech. I see gaping holes right now. Some armies move at lightning speed. My Red Corsair army is typically able to assault with 4-6 units on T1. My Ultra's can shoot very well mid-to-short range, but have the ability to move and grab objectives while using Repulsors, or deep strike to effectively cover ground.

There are some really potent Psychic armies already, and of course DG look to be exceptional at survival, and dishing out Mortal wounds. Weapons that deal damage 2+ are almost mandatory to combat the high toughness and multi layered saves. Not to mention... more Psyker stuff and a Primarch.

How does Admech stand against all of this? Not to mention the 'Index" winners Astra which shoot pretty darn good and still have movement, and conscript blobs. 

Admech looks to be in a really tough spot right now. The extra tools seem to be there in small doses, but threaten to chew away at your bread and butter (shooting). I think the codex is going to need an amazing, and thorough overhaul to withstand what I'm seeing today and the weather the next 12 months of codexes.

I'd LOVE to do the army. But tonight for instance I know I'm up against one of 3 different assault armies.(Nids, Nurgle, Orks). Those are tough match ups.

I'd love to paint them but with Forgeworld Strategems being specific (7 in total?) I'd hate to gravitate towards a paint scheme and it's hampered by a goofy/fluffy strategum. (which may not even happen, I'm just guessing).

I may play them with my friend's army. I've got it at my disposal. We'll see.I'm working on a list now.

Thanks for the great advice guys...

And Mithril, wow you certainly seem to understand my situation well. And yes it can be a competitive environment. The 'regulars' at GW are usually pretty hardcore, rarely changing armies and refining for ITC events, but there are a few groups I play with that are very good people and it can be all over the map. Some only play full tilt. It's netlist city, and some just play what they like so I like to be able to play the whole gambit.

I love the whole hobby so while it's gotta be fun to paint, it's also gotta be fun to play.

I'm really on the fence about Admech. I see gaping holes right now. Some armies move at lightning speed. My Red Corsair army is typically able to assault with 4-6 units on T1. My Ultra's can shoot very well mid-to-short range, but have the ability to move and grab objectives while using Repulsors, or deep strike to effectively cover ground.

There are some really potent Psychic armies already, and of course DG look to be exceptional at survival, and dishing out Mortal wounds. Weapons that deal damage 2+ are almost mandatory to combat the high toughness and multi layered saves. Not to mention... more Psyker stuff and a Primarch.

How does Admech stand against all of this? Not to mention the 'Index" winners Astra which shoot pretty darn good and still have movement, and conscript blobs.

Admech looks to be in a really tough spot right now. The extra tools seem to be there in small doses, but threaten to chew away at your bread and butter (shooting). I think the codex is going to need an amazing, and thorough overhaul to withstand what I'm seeing today and the weather the next 12 months of codexes.

I'd LOVE to do the army. But tonight for instance I know I'm up against one of 3 different assault armies.(Nids, Nurgle, Orks). Those are tough match ups..

worse case scenario Admech will be used as a Detatchment codex instead of a standalone. I'm hoping movement bonuses and points drops will increase our chances in the tourney scene, if not I might have to bring in some Astra to assist. Edited by Perry

Nope... refuse to believe that they will be relegated to Allies status.

I'm almost finished my first Metallica themed Dunecrawer unit. I haven't had a lot of time to paint so I hope thaeybhave decent rules but I would repainted it if I have to.

Well... DuneCrawlers are Awesomesauce no matter what,it would have to be a monumental Nerf to make them bad so a wise choice indeed for painting before the index drops.

:wub:  gotta be honest and say i'm really looking forwards to seeing your unit in Metallica theme :cool.: And you said "unit"...are we looking at 2 or 3 here :woot:

cheers, Mithril

++EDIT++ So Prot what troop type are you leaning towards... Vanguard? or Ranger?, i pick you for a Vanguard type player :happy.: ...

Edited by mithrilforge

Err.. sorry by 'unit' I meant... a model. lol

I've been crazy busy, so I have no idea if I can pull off the 'army' as a project with my Chaos/Ultra's.

Here is an early WIP. Not much I'm afraid.This is the initial airbrush stages using mostly the Citadel method:

gallery_2760_13476_196804.jpg

It might be a little too subtle. This is primed with white, then a full cover of Rakarth Flesh, applied a slightly messy Agrax Earth shade wash.

Then hit the high areas with Pallid Wych flesh., let it try. Then hit it one more time with some skull white mixed into a weak Pallid Wych flesh.

The transition became very subtle. Perhaps too subtle....

I have done a next stage and started weathering. I didn't want to go to far with weathering and prevent killing all the work done with the airbrush.

We'll see how it turns out! I do want it to look weathered... something that would be out of the Dune movies/novels perhaps.. but just not overboard. :)

On the base I decided to go with a muddy, Forgeworld look using spare pieces from Armageddon and some of the left over bits from GW's base kit (can't remember the name.)

I'll try to do another update shortly.

++EDIT++ So Prot what troop type are you leaning towards... Vanguard? or Ranger?, i pick you for a Vanguard type player :happy.: ...

Funny you say that. My list had Vanguard, but my friend convinced me to try Rangers. I wasn't impressed with them, although getting them in ruins, then using Belasarius to get Shroud Psalm made them last a whole 2 turns before getting zombied to death. lol

I tried the rangers so I could try the Arcebus' sniper rifles which I really felt were over costed. I could see the benefit of them but mine just never hit/wounded.

Love the base Prot :wub:  the Onager looks good so far, may i suggest a medium shade of RED over the top of all that hard work :whistling:  the sneak peeks on mars are awesome, if your a stickler for having the right colour on the right army then you may want to Go red... oh and you "better call Cawl" (sounds like a Netflix show...Hmmm :rolleyes: )

Cheers, Mithril

p.s. i really did like the boneish white though :sweat:  

So I wanted to get the hull mostly finished so I could feel this out. It was starting to take too long. Since the last pic I put in two nights worth on this, and sure there is 'refining' of technique and a couple of "I think this colour would look better" moments which slows stuff down.

gallery_2760_13476_27165.jpg

There's some detail that needs doing, including the pilot, and the railings aren't attached yet. A lot of this unit is glued together so it was super hard to pose without all the knee/thigh panels falling off. :)

gallery_2760_13476_106273.jpg

gallery_2760_13476_7246.jpg

gallery_2760_13476_37143.jpg

I think this is close enough to completion to get a feel for it.

The Onager looks good, but its colors remind me of the White Scars Chapter of Space Marines. Is it an honor marking from a campaign in which the Skitarii fought shoulder-to-shoulder with the Khan's sons, the colors of the forge world the Skitarii defend (though I can't imagine what will make a forge world white), or arctic camouflage?

The Onager looks good, but its colors remind me of the White Scars Chapter of Space Marines. Is it an honor marking from a campaign in which the Skitarii fought shoulder-to-shoulder with the Khan's sons, the colors of the forge world the Skitarii defend (though I can't imagine what will make a forge world white), or arctic camouflage?

Thank you..... it's simply off white to me. :)

Metalica Forgeworld are literally a fairly bright colour. (I remember when I started 40K I would never play Imperial Fists... what Chapter would paint themselves bright yellow and go to war in that scheme?)

I'm just having fun with colours outside of the norm. If I liked Pink... they'd be pink.

But if you're looking for a legitimate reason behind the scheme... then I guess there could be one. I know they are cold hearted. I know they've eradicated Xenos civilizations in a way that rubs some authorities wrong.

As far as their Forgworld I know it's within Ultima Segmentum and the planet is very 'metalic'. (Hence the base I've chosen). The planet is nearly devoid of growth. So I guess perhaps the heavy pollution and off white scheme do work to some degree.

I do like the scheme. I think the picture is a touch brighter, and I think the base colour starting with Rakarth flesh is something I will leave a little more exposed so there's more transition in the colours. It's too subtle perhaps right now.

I'm reluctant to paint red over it, and the more I see it, the more I like it. It's a huge departure from my other armies! (call me a chicken for avoiding White and 'damage' to this degree for so long.)