Thanks guys!

I've gone back to the drawing board on my Maniple list so I'm embarking on a expanding my 3 man squad of Plasma/Grav Destroyers to 6 men.

Anyone have any advice/input on Grav vs. Plasma in 8th for these guys?

Thanks guys!

I've gone back to the drawing board on my Maniple list so I'm embarking on a expanding my 3 man squad of Plasma/Grav Destroyers to 6 men.

Because you can safely overcharge the Plasma with the +1 to hit strat, it just seems the best way to go.

Grav can be awesome mind you, but Plasma is just a better, more consistent allrounder. Plus its cheaper!

Grav is great against T4-5 with fixed 5 shots per model, but overcharging plasma is better against anything above T5. As you can use the +1 BS strat only once per round, more than one destroyer squad can't be overcharged safely, in which case grav could be worth it.

Grav's main drawback is that it wounds T6+ only on 5s. That makes it rather unreliable, but mowing down MEQ/TEQ (esp. multiwound) works just fine, without overcharge risk. Somewhat redundant when running Carl's Kastelan Castle, but at least it's mobile.

Thanks guys!

Because you can safely overcharge the Plasma with the +1 to hit strat, it just seems the best way to go.

Grav can be awesome mind you, but Plasma is just a better, more consistent allrounder. Plus its cheaper!

I feel like an idiot. I keep forgetting to use it.... in that manner.

What I have been doing my last two games is the (forgot the name) strat that is 2 CP to give the same +1 to the Kastelans as well.

Grav is great against T4-5 with fixed 5 shots per model, but overcharging plasma is better against anything above T5. As you can use the +1 BS strat only once per round, more than one destroyer squad can't be overcharged safely, in which case grav could be worth it.

Grav's main drawback is that it wounds T6+ only on 5s. That makes it rather unreliable, but mowing down MEQ/TEQ (esp. multiwound) works just fine, without overcharge risk. Somewhat redundant when running Carl's Kastelan Castle, but at least it's mobile.

The thing with Grav is.... I used to love it in 7th even, but I already have a truckload of stuff to put towards those MEQ types. I guess I'll just stick with Plasma... I just wish they'd do something a little different with Grav.

That said I do overcharge with my Kataphrons all the time... with Cawl around I just rarely re-roll the 2's and 3's. lol

It seems to do all right for me.

++++++++++++++++++++++

So after some cyper-soul searching and the advice here, I've decided to buy another box, and just bring the squad to 6 plasma dudes. I am running scary low on bodies that can handle assault though because I insist on using my Knights, which includes the Preceptor which has proven to be very.. .mediocre thus far. Still the list is performing better overall which is nice.

• 8 months later...

So it's been quite a while since I updated the thread, but it's overdue.

As I write this I have a Daedelosus coming in the mail.

Also I've bitten the bullet... I'm painting my 4 Ballistarii. Man those are arduous to paint. They look nice on the table top, but very time consuming. I don't think I would ever paint more of these if I can help it!

So far I've managed to 'lightly' magnetize all 4 so I can swap between autocannons and Las.

Oh it's been painful. Very painful. I love the model but what an absolute pain in the servo posterior to put together  and paint.

Probably one of the most tedious models in the pre-CAD era to completely finish.

What I do is start the squad, then put it down. Do something more interesting like pound my thumb with a hammer for a few months, then come back to it...etc. Give it a few months and you have no thumbs and a great squad of Ballistarii!

• 3 months later...

I am still playing a LOT of the triple Skorpius Disintegrator list with dual transports.

Here is my latest battle Report vs. Orks:

4-Knights-try-to-push-outward.jpg?resize

I did a full write up of the game here: https://prot40k.blog/2020/01/13/competitive-battle-report-adeptus-mechanicus-vs-orks/

In the meantime I still continue to work on the models to bring the army into a better situation in competitive play. But man I'll tell you those orks are incredibly shooty still.

Also I've bitten the bullet... I'm painting my 4 Ballistarii. Man those are arduous to paint. They look nice on the table top, but very time consuming. I don't think I would ever paint more of these if I can help it!

Amazing model. One of my favorites of the entire GW line. But yeah, I did three Dragoons and they're nuts to build and paint, so they make your work for it. I'd like to add more to my collection (I want a heard damnit!) but I dread the idea of building and painting more of them. I'm not sure if it's better to just dig in and get them done (like I did) or to take a break from them a few times to break up the endeavor. I won't say 'have fun', but just keep taking bites and sooner-or-later they'll finally be finished.

I find it hilarious that pretty much every Mechanicus collector that's painted up an Ironstrider or Dragoon has this shared experience of suffering through it. It's got to the point that anyone that plans to build any of them generally inspires a wince and are wished good luck building them. It's like some kind of weird rite of passage for our army! :teehee:

I could do with a third Dragoon and some Ironstriders to round out my force but... I'll wait until my massive pile of grey plastic is a tiny bit smaller.

So yeah... Good luck with those Ballistarii, I'm sure they will look awesome when they are completed.

I find it hilarious that pretty much every Mechanicus collector that's painted up an Ironstrider or Dragoon has this shared experience of suffering through it. It's got to the point that anyone that plans to build any of them generally inspires a wince and are wished good luck building them. It's like some kind of weird rite of passage for our army! :teehee:

*laughs in Storm Eagle*

Seriously, at least the chickens actually fit together precisely, if being a bit more work than usual.

The Rite of Passage of 30k was the Storm Eagle - half plastic, half warped resin with mold lines so big you might mistake them for intentional design, and a fit that requires power tools on one end and a pot of liquid greenstuff on the other. Usually, people built one for the looks - and if going a second one, they started hearing voices. Let's better not talk about the guys with 3... :sweat:

I actually like the chicken walkers aesthetically speaking, but I literally can only work on them for a few days before I have to put it all down and come back to it.

I have finished 4 Dunestriders, but I have 4 half painted Ballistarii. Just a very complicated model.

I especially struggle with that cabling that hangs on one of the inner thighs. What a pain. Tweezers, and glue, tweezers and glue. Frustrating for me and you.. Tweezers and glue.

lol (I'm losing my mind over that model.)

++++++

Edit:

I just wanted to touch base on the post game of that batrep I refer to. In it I found I was so backed in a corner on this one. A very difficult match up against Orks that feel like they shoot just as well, but have more swingy damage. (From zilch to taking down a heavy vehicle in a shot). The board control they can exert is massive.

I can't seem to rework the list without breaking out of the Knight detachment which is a bit scary for me. 

I'll be very curious to see what happens at LVO just for the heck of it. If there are any 'pure' AdMech contenders. My guess is 'no'.

Edited by Prot

• 5 months later...

Just a quick update. Time has been a bit scarce, but I managed to do a repaint on the my Skorpius chassis vehicles. These appear to be just as useful in 9th as 8th edition so I wanted them to be ready for the coming edition:

gallery_2760_13476_528589.jpg

A few more pics, and updates at the blog:

ADMECH UPDATE: https://prot40k.blog/2020/06/29/prots-hobby-life-update-the-blog-admech-custodes-9th-ed-army-sale-and-more/

A fantastic effort! The missile volley of those beasties will be pretty significant. Are they modeled to allow the turret weapon to be changed or are they all glued as Belleros energy cannons? As they are they seem intimidating enough. They would leave a large footprint on the table. I currently only have one Dunerider and one Disintegrator so I can't field such a solid battle line. I suppose my Onagers pick up some of the slack. On the plus side, you must be able to block a lot of line of sight behind the hulls of these tanks.

Thanks very much guys. As I said before, I still haven't finished those bloody copters. I gave up on some of the magnetizing, and I lost a hand rail for one of the side doors on a copter. 

The Serberys are still in boxes. Just still not sure which is better. I still think those flamers being able to shoot into CC is huge. But a nearly guaranteed retreat from a charge is also huge.

Glad you guys like the Skorpius'! Thanks. 

• 5 months later...

These have been sitting around since day 1.

For 2021 I decided to kick it off by finishing a lot of Admech I have sitting around. I do love the army, love playing it, love the models. But I do confess it's one of my slowest armies to paint at the moment. I find it just sometimes grinds me down with the little bits, and all the different materials.... At the same time, Admech is one of my largest armies.(Especially if I include my House Taranis Knights.)

med_gallery_2760_13476_184243.jpg

gallery_2760_13476_517740.jpg

Archeopter is up next! (They've been sitting around for months!)

Edited by Prot

Good job on the Sulphurhounds. Your efforts put Games Workshop's own to shame. (Does anyone else feel the mounts are comically small, compared to their riders' sizes? It's as if the sculptor scaled them to children riding on rocking horses, instead of adults riding on actual horses.)