Wow. agreed the weathering on that looks mint. 

Gonna have to try and do the same on my metalica dunecrawlers now  (and just when I thought I was just about finished...haha)

Edited by DanPesci

The Onager looks good, but its colors remind me of the White Scars Chapter of Space Marines. Is it an honor marking from a campaign in which the Skitarii fought shoulder-to-shoulder with the Khan's sons, the colors of the forge world the Skitarii defend (though I can't imagine what will make a forge world white), or arctic camouflage?

Thank you..... it's simply off white to me. :smile.:

Metalica Forgeworld are literally a fairly bright colour. (I remember when I started 40K I would never play Imperial Fists... what Chapter would paint themselves bright yellow and go to war in that scheme?)

I'm just having fun with colours outside of the norm. If I liked Pink... they'd be pink.

I do like the scheme. I think the picture is a touch brighter, and I think the base colour starting with Rakarth flesh is something I will leave a little more exposed so there's more transition in the colours. It's too subtle perhaps right now.

I'm reluctant to paint red over it, and the more I see it, the more I like it. It's a huge departure from my other armies! (call me a chicken for avoiding White and 'damage' to this degree for so long.)

This is generally why i chose to do stuff in metalica too...as it was a huge break from my space wolves, and ive never painted anything white before really!

For my guys, I se larger areas of rakath flesh on the crawlers, and then the odd part I have then brighter using pallid wytch (and then very sublte pure white highlights), whereas the cloaks on my vanguard i have pretty much pallid wych so they are brighter...i find it helps them stand out nicer against the crawlers etc.

Gonna have to get some pictures  up tonight...was waiting for the codex to drop before i do any more admech painting, but you have inspired me prot! :)

Well Prot, Hats off to you indeed good sir! :biggrin.:

That is really really nice work...Slap me silly for even mentioning painting red over that :blush.:.

the new stratagems make me think there's hope for a strong force with the right tools in hand! 

The Verdigris effect is so subtle but just changes it so much (in a very pleasing way) I honestly look forward to the rest of your force :wub:

colour me inspired to go home after work and pick up a brush just out of enthusiasm of looking at your work!!

well done man!

cheers, Mithril

++EDIT++ 

I reckon you could sneak up on some Vior'la Tau' and take em by surprise ... "What the Shas'%#@ is that?,i thought it was ours" ..Fzoooooom... :ermm:  

Edited by mithrilforge

Thanks guys.

Dying to hear the scoop on Metalica today.

I do think in future models I would have more of the original shades of Rakarth. Part of it might be that I'm better off starting off airbrushing on top of black primer instead of white, but future attempts will be showing a bit more transition.

I'm glad to hear I could inspire anyone to pick up the brush! Thanks for the kind words.

Edited by Prot

Just an update due to my own goofiness...

The whole model overall went through quite a few minor changes as I learned a bit more about making it look gritty.

There are a few things that were a touch 'off' for me... and the colour (base colours) just were bugging me a bit...

So I mixed some more paints, fiddled around with technique, and revisited my original hull recipe for the base colours (going dark to light with airbrush). And I also decided to do a very thin, airbrush 'dust' layer, and less washes.

At the end of the day I ended up repainting the hull, and the legs... even the stripe was bugging me a bit... ugh. I'm an idiot. I should have just done a new model. lol

So now it's a bit of a redo, and I spent another 3-4 hours on it late last night. I hope to have it redone by this weekend.

Mars still looks to be the big winner by a mile, but I think the biggest thing for me is that I was working on Cawl's assembly and just really not having a use for him kind of stinks.

I'm impressed that you can repaint things so easily without blotting out any detail. If it's going to be changed to Mars colour scheme I guess it was just a disposable hero. :p (Can't... resist...Metallipuns!)

:eek: ........:woot: .........:laugh.:

Only you could change army colours and make it look perfectly detailed still, the joy of an airbrush i guess?...

i like how your matching the colour of the weapons discharge to contrast the army colour itself :cool.:

well Mars it is then...are you sure ...:happy.: 

Great work indeed...now do the army...or perhaps in between me typing this you have actually finished it?...

cheers,Mithril  

Just a small update. Completed the model, finished the gunner, and some minor touches including the extra weapon mount:

gallery_2760_13476_123050.jpg

gallery_2760_13476_135469.jpg

gallery_2760_13476_105064.jpg

So are you going to go for Mars, Metalica or something in-between for your complete army? Forgive me if you already answered this question. :smile.:

Yes, it's going to be Mars. I think the scheme is quite a bit of fun, and I do have Cawl and didn't want to be limited in a competitive situation to what I could bring/use. :)

Playstyle wise it also feels like one of the least situational Dogmas/Strategems. Plus even without Cawl rolling two Canticles a turn is just fun. Also I think a lot of the Forgeworlds can do slightly different things with the Priests but I actually like them a lot (model wise) so I intend to include both builds in many lists, and Discosticks help the CC armies, but the ability to lean on Jazz Hands for Mortal wounds is pretty spicy in the right situations!

I'm going to have to rely on roosters for really moving on objectives though which is 90% of what I play. :)

Agreed, the red really does "pop" in a unique way.  I usually find mine fading back a bit toward crimson, which is more subtle (and not intended).  :/

That makes sense, Mars really is the most flexible/least counterable of the Dogmas.  TBH I haven't really pondered how I'd play the AdMech under the new 'dex since I'm so committed to my current project, but I'll definitely pick them back up when I get the opportunity (though with IG coming down the pipe that could be a long ways off).

Lovely paint jobs both of them. Im digging my AM out of the half finished box after ive finished the primaris im working on. Ill go for the Mars option as i like the fluff and rules best plus i cant paint white !

Only thing i dont like about the mars colourscheme is the bone colour contrast so mine will be red with adeptus mechanicus grey contrast and ill justify it as a minor forge adepts contingent subsumed into mars.

I do love the deep red of yours...do you varnish at all? If so what do you use that doesnt dull down the finish too much?

• 2 weeks later...