Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Prot Does Ad Mech: Redid Hull/Legs Metalica Post #32

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Reyner

Reyner

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,827 posts
  • Chapter Name: IV Legion, XIII Legion

Holy :cuss. That Dunecrawler looks great in a weathered white yes.gif I need a colour scheme for my Ferrum Maiden forgeworld still (hehe) and love seeing AdMech units not in red!

• Prot likes this

gallery_60566_6038_242.gifgallery_26119_9644_9137.pnggallery_60566_6038_826.gif
"I don't need my left arm to run." - Sergeant Arkad VII Legion bad-ass.

DanPesci

DanPesci

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,772 posts

Wow. agreed the weathering on that looks mint. 

Gonna have to try and do the same on my metalica dunecrawlers now  (and just when I thought I was just about finished...haha)

Edited by DanPesci, 13 September 2017 - 09:34 AM.

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_01.jpg

DVNE - Crushing tales of space horror (In space no-one can hear you doom)

DanPesci

DanPesci

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,772 posts

The Onager looks good, but its colors remind me of the White Scars Chapter of Space Marines. Is it an honor marking from a campaign in which the Skitarii fought shoulder-to-shoulder with the Khan's sons, the colors of the forge world the Skitarii defend (though I can't imagine what will make a forge world white), or arctic camouflage?

Thank you..... it's simply off white to me. smile.png

Metalica Forgeworld are literally a fairly bright colour. (I remember when I started 40K I would never play Imperial Fists... what Chapter would paint themselves bright yellow and go to war in that scheme?)

I'm just having fun with colours outside of the norm. If I liked Pink... they'd be pink.

I do like the scheme. I think the picture is a touch brighter, and I think the base colour starting with Rakarth flesh is something I will leave a little more exposed so there's more transition in the colours. It's too subtle perhaps right now.

I'm reluctant to paint red over it, and the more I see it, the more I like it. It's a huge departure from my other armies! (call me a chicken for avoiding White and 'damage' to this degree for so long.)

This is generally why i chose to do stuff in metalica too...as it was a huge break from my space wolves, and ive never painted anything white before really!

For my guys, I se larger areas of rakath flesh on the crawlers, and then the odd part I have then brighter using pallid wytch (and then very sublte pure white highlights), whereas the cloaks on my vanguard i have pretty much pallid wych so they are brighter...i find it helps them stand out nicer against the crawlers etc.

Gonna have to get some pictures  up tonight...was waiting for the codex to drop before i do any more admech painting, but you have inspired me prot! :)

• Prot likes this

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_01.jpg

DVNE - Crushing tales of space horror (In space no-one can hear you doom)

mithrilforge

mithrilforge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,198 posts
  • Chapter Name: Raptors & Ad-Mech

Well Prot, Hats off to you indeed good sir! biggrin.png

That is really really nice work...Slap me silly for even mentioning painting red over that blush.png.

the new stratagems make me think there's hope for a strong force with the right tools in hand! 

The Verdigris effect is so subtle but just changes it so much (in a very pleasing way) I honestly look forward to the rest of your force wub.gif

colour me inspired to go home after work and pick up a brush just out of enthusiasm of looking at your work!!

well done man!

cheers, Mithril

++EDIT++ 

I reckon you could sneak up on some Vior'la Tau' and take em by surprise ... "What the Shas'%#@ is that?,i thought it was ours" ..Fzoooooom... ermm.gif  

Edited by mithrilforge, 13 September 2017 - 10:09 AM.

• Prot and Reyner like this

gallery_70393_10089_1851.png PtR_Black_Pearl_Badge.jpgETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei02.gifETL_Medal_02.gifgallery_48988_6285_17537.pngETL_2016_Badge_10_Badge_of_the_Artificergallery_6494_6331_8260.png

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 10,811 posts

Thanks guys.

Dying to hear the scoop on Metalica today.

I do think in future models I would have more of the original shades of Rakarth. Part of it might be that I'm better off starting off airbrushing on top of black primer instead of white, but future attempts will be showing a bit more transition.

I'm glad to hear I could inspire anyone to pick up the brush! Thanks for the kind words.

Edited by Prot, 13 September 2017 - 12:25 PM.

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 10,811 posts

Just an update due to my own goofiness...

The whole model overall went through quite a few minor changes as I learned a bit more about making it look gritty.

There are a few things that were a touch 'off' for me... and the colour (base colours) just were bugging me a bit...

So I mixed some more paints, fiddled around with technique, and revisited my original hull recipe for the base colours (going dark to light with airbrush). And I also decided to do a very thin, airbrush 'dust' layer, and less washes.

At the end of the day I ended up repainting the hull, and the legs... even the stripe was bugging me a bit... ugh. I'm an idiot. I should have just done a new model. lol

So now it's a bit of a redo, and I spent another 3-4 hours on it late last night. I hope to have it redone by this weekend.

Mars still looks to be the big winner by a mile, but I think the biggest thing for me is that I was working on Cawl's assembly and just really not having a use for him kind of stinks.

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 10,811 posts

Okay final repaint...

Well I'm not done final weathering because I decided this is as far as I would go redoing the legs, and the hull, and stripe again. This is how it looks now... it starts a little darker, and doesn't get quite as white:

gallery_2760_13476_186259.jpg

gallery_2760_13476_9331.jpg

Onto Mars...

• mithrilforge, WarriorFish, Vel'Cona and 1 other like this

Flame Boy

Flame Boy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 770 posts

It does certainly look more weather beaten now. I like it. I thought it looked fine before but if you are happier with it that's what counts. 

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,269 posts
  • Chapter Name: Catachan Wolves
The lighting effects on the Onager look good.

Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)
Sisters of Battle+ Fenrisian Beer- Inhibitions- Sanity= Trouble! (Order of the Blazing Heart Rocket Punch Pimp Magnet She-Wolf)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Reasons to use the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think the Librarian Dreadnought needs Furious Charge AND It Will Not Die to beat down a Chaos-worshiping punk and his Defiler, while a Stormraven needs a Vanquisher cannon to beat down this punk's Heldrake.

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,592 posts

Top stuff!

In Their Fists They Carry Death - The Legiones Custodes

++Heresy WIP Thread: Talons++

++WIP Thread++

++Index Astartes Sanguine Visions++

mithrilforge

mithrilforge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,198 posts
  • Chapter Name: Raptors & Ad-Mech

Great stuff thumbsup.gif

we can't appreciate the difference in real life like you can but i can see enough to know it's awesome work!

Now... do an army !! laugh.png

Mithril

• duz_ likes this

gallery_70393_10089_1851.png PtR_Black_Pearl_Badge.jpgETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei02.gifETL_Medal_02.gifgallery_48988_6285_17537.pngETL_2016_Badge_10_Badge_of_the_Artificergallery_6494_6331_8260.png

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 10,811 posts

Thanks Mithril,

This is the last shot I'll have of him as a WIP Metlalica.

gallery_2760_13476_188682.jpg

He's now being redone as Mars... we'll see how it goes. Hopefully I'll have a pic in a day or two. :tu:

• Vel'Cona, Bjorn Firewalker and Charlo like this

Vel'Cona

Vel'Cona

++ DUCTOR EXSANGUIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,512 posts
  • Chapter Name: Cadian 317th

I take a few weeks off and Prot paints an entire AdMech army.  Sigh, how things never change :P

Gorgeous work, brother!  wub.gif   You are truly a "Master of Robots" (yes I made a Metallica reference teehee.gif )

• Prot and Flame Boy like this

Losing 'hope' after 10k years just because of a big warp storm? Doesn't sound like my Blood Angels.

Never had hope to begin with; they had duty, and that was enough.

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_02.jpgETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei01.jpggallery_48988_10069_10495.pngETL_Medal_02.gif

Flame Boy

Flame Boy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 770 posts

I'm impressed that you can repaint things so easily without blotting out any detail. If it's going to be changed to Mars colour scheme I guess it was just a disposable hero. :P (Can't... resist...Metallipuns!)

• Prot likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users