The best way for Grey Knights to deal with Mortarion?

Waking Dreamer

Apparently this is a thing...DG_Strat_CloudofFlies-500x271.jpg

Yay! Pox Walkers... :dry.:

Well it seems DG have a way to mitigate having the enemy army simply aim all their lascannons, heavy psycannons and psilencers at big Morty before he moves into combat range. It costs them a CP though.

Will only work on Morty if he is Infantry, which I assumed he wasn't as a LOW

Yay! Pox Walkers... <_<

Well it seems DG have a way to mitigate having the enemy army simply aim all their lascannons, heavy psycannons and psilencers at big Morty before he moves into combat range. It costs them a CP though.

They would use it on a unit of infantry in front of Magnus, then you MUST shoot at them instead of Mortarion.

Pox Walkers are ridiculously slow though, so if you want Mortarion in combat, he'll need to stay behind them, costing you precious time to get into combat. Since Storm Bolters are pretty good at mowing down Pox Walkers, it should be fine anyway. 

I don't think Poxwalker speed has ever been an issue. When I play against DG there is always (except in funsy lists) a detachment with Warp Time. Move, advance, Warp Time, move, assault ( or advance) that's what I usually see with Typhus advancing behind.

What's goofy about this is the Psuedo invisibility basically I believe it forces you to treat infantry like a character.

Now we have the Blight Hauler. So we will see 2+ save Plague marines advancing with 18" rapid fire plasma and the Blight hauler also seems to have decent fire support.

Yay! Pox Walkers... :dry.:

They would use it on a unit of infantry in front of Magnus, then you MUST shoot at them instead of Mortarion.

You choose one unit which you can't shoot at, except if they're the nearest visible unit. And no, Mortarion is NOT infantry.

Yay! Pox Walkers... <_<

You choose one unit which you can't shoot at, except if they're the nearest visible unit. And no, Mortarion is NOT infantry.

Oops. Brain fart.

And GW has released details of a bodyguard unit who can take wounds for mortarion on a 2+. Killing that crusty old festering sore is going to be a challenge

Those bodyguard cost 75 points a piece and have only 2 wounds and a 4" movement stat, so I don't think they will be bodyguarding Mortarion much.

Are you guys talking about the Deathshroud Terminators?

I read in melee they have 3A S8 Dmg-D3 (assuming they have no -1 To Hit penalty from their weapon). Defensively they are T5 2+/4++/5+++. So I'm thinking say 3 of these DS Termies against our Paragon with DaemonHammer and 2 more Paladins armed with Halberds (better against their T5 yes?), how well would they do?

They'll stop an alpha smite strike though.

If morty isn't bubbled by pox walkers anyway.

True, but I don't think it would make me terribly sad. I mean, you deal 3 mortal wounds to Morty, he palms them off to his bodyguards, and you kill all three of them after the second smite. And you've taken out 225 points worth of models. For two smites. Or maybe three, depending on how the Disgustingly Resilient rule stacks with the Bodyguard rule.

I think the take away is that Mortarion has to be very careful with everything he does when playing against Grey Knights, as we have a lot of tools that can hurt him.

While Im not a particular fan of Chaos armies, I'm really liking all the models and rules for the new DG. It actually gets me pumped for our own GKs and hyped to eventually face them on the table! Codex vs Codex! Daemon hunters vs Daemon worshippers!

Even for GKs they should be a challenging army to face since last time we took on Mortarion and his Death Guard it took no less than 5 GK Brotherhoods assembled, just as many Grandmasters and the loss of the then, Supreme Grand Master with his entire Paladin retinue by Mortarion's hands alone...

Reading through our codex again, I noticed the section about GKs and the use of True Names as our most powerful arsenal against the Daemon. Interestingly, in the lore Kaldor Draigo should be the only one in the Imperium who knows Mortarion's True Name and still be capable to use it against him. It would be amazing if he got a special rule to reflect that aspect in some way on the table, if you ever manage to put him up against the Daemon Primarch!

Best way to deal with Morty?

Electo Priests and thier mortal wound on a to wound of 6 strat.

Make your own 'Titan' forgeworld and fluff it as ad mech support to the GK.

It's called Deimos :thumbsup:

Electro-Priests would also excel at murdering Poxwalkers, due to the insane amount of shots they can output. 

Sadly, 40k Mechanicum still don't believe in transports, and they can't ride in ours so they'll get picked off at range :(

Purifiers might be the way to go against Mortarion. You'll need a Raven to deliver them, but two Purifying Flames and a Vortex to the face (from their Brother-Captain following them around) should help soften him up.