The best way for Grey Knights to deal with Mortarion?

Waking Dreamer

• 1 month later...
Granted it was against a brand new player, and he made the mistake of not wrapping Morty during deployment, but here's how I dealt with him, deepstriked in Draigo and Ancient, purge soul (got lucky with a big result here) 2x smites for another 6 wounds before disgustingly resilient rolls, Draigo got the charge off and with his rerolls to hit and wound and his -1 to Daemon invulns Morty was left on the verge of death with 2 wounds left. He then hit back and if I'd thought about it I would have used heed the prognosticars but in the end it didn't matter, he killed Draigo but with "only in death" it was easily enough to kill the Daemon Primarch. 240pts takes down 470pts, I'll take that. Clearly this isn't a reliable strategy, but damn it was so awesome.

Very fluffy too, Draigo curbstomping Mortarion. 'Only In Death' is such a troll strat, I've caught out so many people with it. Quite often its how I even out slaying their Warlord for mine.

Main thing I've learned fighting Swarmlord+Tyrant Guard, murder the bodyguard first. The ability to turn any damage into a single mortal wound is insanely good. Deathshroud will go down to repeated Smite and Vortex to shift damage to Morty (if they're already dead he can't shift the damage). Same thing against Guard too, kill those Ogryn Bodyguards first. 

Eh. Don't you roll for each point of damage for those units.

So deal 6 to a swarmlord and he rolls 6 times to pass it off, not just once?

Yup. It says: "each time it loses a wound, you roll a dice". That means it functions like feel-no-pains really.