=][= Unit(s) of the week: Hellhounds =][=

duz_

• 1 year later...

Any consensus with the Hellhound (inferno cannon) vs Bane Wolf (chem cannon) against MEQ?

Inferno Cannon:

16" range, 2D6 auto hit, S5 wounding on 3+, AP-1 giving 4+ save.

Chem Cannon:

8" range, D6 auto hit, wounding infantry on 2+, AP-3 giving 6+ save.

It would be Catachan for rerolling the number of hits. 

The chem cannon would pretty much wound most of it's hits, while the hellhound would fail to wound a decent chunk, but may get double the hits, it also has a bigger range.

Thoughts?

I think the range is a huge deal as many charges these days come from outside of 9" (so no Banewolf overwatch). Add that the banewolf only explodes on a 6 rather than a 4 and  the choice seems pretty easy to me. Shame as I like the idea of bathing people in poisonous acid. 

Sadly the Banewolf struggles in 8th as Marines aren't too hard to remove and the short range doesn't help. The Hellhound is more versatile and the extra range makes a big difference. It's only one less on wounding on a 3+ but that 2D6 shots means you can turn it on many targets effectively even if it's just weight of dice at work. Unfortunately my Banewolf sits unloved in 8th which is a shame as like Zakalwe it used to do great work in dealing with Marines on my doorstep!

I have three hellhounds, and they have been MVP in most games i have fought. They are even better in 1000p games, which is our current meta in my gaming group.

I run them as Tallarn, with HB and stubber. I used to ambush them in from the sides, but i have discovered starting them on the board is a much more effective way of using them. 

They direct a lot of enemy firepower, allowing my leman russes to shoot safely for a turn or 2. Deployment is essential! Miss-deployment = lots of dead guardsmen. 

Model-wise, i use a chimera and add a barrel with some cables in the troop hatch.

PYB0mkZl.jpg

rakcFlql.jpg

Deployment is essential! Miss-deployment = lots of dead guardsmen. 

How do you deploy them? 

Make them big targets but blocking line of sight to the guardsmen or hiding them so they can rush out and flame the heretics?

6" away from anything else is the important bit. 

When they blow up they can take a lot of things with them. 

Im with Zakalwe

6" away from everyone else and each other if possible!

Usually on a flank to either deny or draw fire either usually works :smile.:

That's how i roll them, often on a flank, with guardsman blobs in the middle! 

1D6 less shots? Trash

Tanks were a bit nerfed in this edition with the if you get charged you can't shot rule, my next vehicle would be a flyer, stormraven with raven guard for that -2 to hit

You can suicide them rather well. Drive them into the opponents face to flame them, force them to move away to avoid the boom or just the flame. If you want to push it, charge it into a solid melee unit. They will be forced to attack and potentially kill it, then it'll go boom on a 4+, which you can re-roll. Good move when it's on its last 1-2 wounds.

Hellhounds are the kind of magic unit that you should be using consistently if you can fit them into your list at all. They do auto-hits at a respectable, is medium, range and are rather fast. These are all things IG struggles with. Then, if they're killed, they have a better than average chance of dealing mortal wounds. They really deserve a place on any vanguard.

Sadly, chem cannons wish they were inferno cannons. Maybe if they go to bed early and eat their vitamins.

The melta cannons, however, is fun too. I don't like it more than the inferno cannon but it isn't worth automatically dismissing. If you want an armiger warglave but as an IG tank, use these.

Well, the Devil Dog is only really useful as Tallarn as it is the one variant that actually cares about its hit roll. Having said that, why bother with it? The USP of the Infernal Canine is the autohits combined with the range and the speed. Give up the auto-hits and you might as well go the extra mile and get a Russ instead.

The Artemia is 20pts cheaper, but can't take any vehicle upgrades other than switching out the frontal hull weapon. This is not insignificant. Against multiwound, it is, on average, just as good, with higher variance. Also, the more you get, the bigger the difference becomes. Taking one is manageable. If you are planning to bring 6 or so, you saved 120pts, which is a lot.

The Artemia is the better choice if you want something to run up, harass your opponent and blow up in his face. You tend to care less about his shooting and more about the distraction factor I'd say.

The actual Hellhound you want to have sticking around and never stop flaming. Trackguards is pretty much mandatory to never lose efficiency

I have three hellhounds, and they have been MVP in most games i have fought. They are even better in 1000p games, which is our current meta in my gaming group.

I run them as Tallarn, with HB and stubber. I used to ambush them in from the sides, but i have discovered starting them on the board is a much more effective way of using them. 

They direct a lot of enemy firepower, allowing my leman russes to shoot safely for a turn or 2. Deployment is essential! Miss-deployment = lots of dead guardsmen. 

Model-wise, i use a chimera and add a barrel with some cables in the troop hatch.

PYB0mkZl.jpg

rakcFlql.jpg

Lovely stuff. Can I see a close-up of the command models?

Regarding the OP, Artemias are great for running in packs. They are inexpensive and do their job (blowing up is a feature).

• 3 weeks later...

Artemia is cheaper (not sure how much) but has the old profile of only D6 shots at D:2

Personally I like 2D6 shots D:1 as its better to deal against hordes without overkilling single wound models

Seems i should give Artemias a try.

Lovely stuff. Can I see a close-up of the command models?

Regarding the OP, Artemias are great for running in packs. They are inexpensive and do their job (blowing up is a feature).

Close-up of the command squad.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgtFE_Egt9Z/?taken-by=prominusiv

Archived