Tactical and Dev Squad load outs

sallyoz

Brothers with the new edition now with us , what are your feelings toward the special and heavy weapons in Tac squads and the heavy in Devs. I currently run a Dev squad with 2mm and 2hb. My tacs are usually THE 3rd Edition classic pg/mm combo and either mg/flamer and lc. Am I on the right track any advice would be grateful.:cool.:

I started playing 40k at the tail end of 7th but I've been play for about a year and a half so you can take my advice with a grain of salt.

Tactical Squads-

Sgt: Combi-Melta, Chainsword

3x Bolters

1x Flamer

Dev Sqd-

2x Missile Launcher

2x Lascannon

I run my tac squads like this because I can move them relatively easy, I have anti armor and anti infantry in just combat squads.

I run my Devs in that manner because I want my weapons to have the same range as well as the maximum anti-armor effect on the board. Lascannon and Missile Launchers are the same price so why not take them. You have plenty of anti infantry/horde fire from you Tac Sqds and any other supporting element i.e. Razorbacks.

I currently run my tactical squads as bare naked 5 man squads, with the Sgt having a chainsword. If I have a spare few points then the sgt will have a storm bolter and chainsword.

My Devastators when I ran them had 4 missile launchers and a cherub in a 5 man squad.

But I swapped out the dev's in my current list for 3 dev centurions with heavy bolters and hurricane bolters. 

I hope this helps.

My (only) Devestator squad runs twin ML/LC, mainly for that anti-tank (now anti monster) firepower that I seem to lack at range, especially did in earlier editions.

My tactical squads generally run some combinaiton of flamer/meltagun + MM/HB. Just largely sticking to Salamanders + built them when young so wasn't building powerful lists.

I do have two twin plasma squads though, they are a personal favourite of mine (one squad has a long and legendary history) especially now with split fire, the bolters can deal with grunts while the plasma guys can look to melt Terminators/equivalent in the face. And with the new cover rules they are proving inredicbly hard to kill, so either dish out the damage all game, or take a lot of firepower from the enemy, allowing your Rhino rush to get closer and cause the real problem of flamers, meltas and rapid fire boltguns.

Also I'll defend plasma as a Salamanders weapons all day. It's just really REALLY hot fire after all ;)

Tending toward Missile/combi-plasma tacs in 5-man units for rear objectives and then 5-man melta/combi-melta in heavy flamer razors. Each razor also gets a character; one a lieutenant and the other a techmarine with harness (though he often gets out early to fix up the dreadnoughts). I may end up switching one squad to flamer/combi-flamer in a MM razor so that I have one anti-infantry and one anti-tank IFV with their transported squads having a different role. I like the idea of squads doing work that their transports aren't set up for...

For Devs I'm thinking an 8-man with 4 MM in a pod with Vulkan and an apothecary; a 4+ re-rollable on the turn they come in should be sufficient to put a dent in something and the pod will be helpful for snatching a good commanding position on a flank early on to keep those MMs firing all game. I may switch two of the dev MMs to plasma occasionally; with sallies re-rolls and an apothecary it could work nicely as a combine anti-tank/anti-large unit; I just wish plasma cannons were a little more reliable in terms of number of shots... d3 is a little spotty.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

p.s. After a game last night, I'm definitely sold on the MM Devs+Vulkan build; dropped in and got 4/4 hits over 2 turns. They did a fine job popping a bunch of 1kSons. Similarly, 2 small units of tacs with full plasma loadout were the stars of my right flank. With a Captain nearby and an Apothecary, they were smashing vehicles and infantry left and right. Re-rolling all 1's and the occasional 2 plus the odd to-wound re-roll thanks to Chapter Tactics was very effective. They slaughtered a Helbrute, Daemon Prince, some Raptors, and a Rhino. One PC ended up dying only to be resurrected the next turn, and then one of the sergeants died when he re-rolled a 2 to a 1 : P By that time I'd basically won however. Super-charged plasma is a great place to drop your re-roll buffs and it's got the range to make a difference from turn 1.

Edited by Dr. Clock