Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2000 Ulthwe Storm Guardians

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

SyNidus

SyNidus

++ AQUILAM JUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,917 posts

So here's the list i'm thinking of running. I've always liked the Ulthwe Black Guardians so i thought of running something like that.

Ulthwe Army

Battalion Detachment:

Autarch - Wings, Fusion Gun, Power Sword, Shuriken Pistol - 106

Farseer - Skyrunner, Singing Spear - 168

Warlock Skyrunner Conclave - 7 man - 490

Storm Guardians - 8 man - 2 Fusion guns, 2 Power Swords, Chainswords - 102

Wave Serpents - Twin Shuricannons, Shuricannon, Spirit Stones, Vectored Engines - 158

Wave Serpents - Twin Shuricannons, Shuricannon, Spirit Stones, Vectored Engines - 158

Hemlock Wraithfighter - 2 Heavy D- Scythes - 211

Hemlock Wraithfighter - 2 Heavy D- Scythes - 211

Total: 1966

Model Count: 38

CP: 6

What do you guys reckon?

- Sy

Iron Father Ferrum

Iron Father Ferrum

++ INTERFECTOR PRODITORES ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,554 posts

Storm Guardians are a questionable choice, I feel, even if they're just there to tote melta guns.  Those power swords are probably a massive waste of time and points, too, since the models carrying them only get one attack.  Fluff wise, Black Guardians have always relied more heavily on Vypers and War Walkers than on the larger grav tanks, but that's a stylistic choice.

Posted Image

+Corruption of Purpose: Heretic Astartes+
+The Blade Unsheathed: Asuryani+

+AO+ Currently seeking a PhotoShopper to make me a Chaos banner for this signature. +OA+

SyNidus

SyNidus

++ AQUILAM JUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,917 posts

Cheers IFF, Yeah the storm guardians are definitely questionable. Maybe i'll remove the power swords, but those are only 4 points each. 

Somehow i feel like this list lacks diversity...what are your thoughts on aspect warriors in an Ulthwe force?

Vypers i don't really like, i might consider warwalkers though.

- Sy

Iron Father Ferrum

Iron Father Ferrum

++ INTERFECTOR PRODITORES ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,554 posts

The most Ulthwe-ish Aspect in my mind has always been the Dark Reapers.  It goes with the "grim" concept of Ulthwe.

Posted Image

+Corruption of Purpose: Heretic Astartes+
+The Blade Unsheathed: Asuryani+

+AO+ Currently seeking a PhotoShopper to make me a Chaos banner for this signature. +OA+

Dr. Clock

Dr. Clock

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 475 posts

Also remember that ALL the major Craftworlds have access to ALL the Aspects; there's absolutely nothing stopping you from taking any of the Aspects that you like the look of. I use Reapers, Spiders and Scorpions in most games, in addition to Avengers.

Ulthwe may emphasize guardians and psykers, but you don't have to throw out everything else. 

For my lists I tend to take a Defender unit of 20 with two platforms as a frontline anchor. Add in a Warlock and Farseer for flavour!

Guardians aren't quite where I'd like them to be, but they do a decent job... usually they chip some wounds off a vehicle or two, completely devastate the first unit to approach them, but then die in a counter-attack. Mounted Storm Guardians could work... I'd be awfully tempted to add in some characters on those units to distribute the Smite or other buffing/nerfing powers. I'm not a terribly huge fan of the jetbike council as it's a little 'all eggs in one basket' with a quarter of your points in those 7 models. It's certainly an interesting list though - I don't want you to necessarily give up on the Storm Guardians... I'd love to find an effective way of using a couple units of them.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

These are the droids we are looking for.