Cataphractii - Best Loadout?

Kinstryfe

What's the best way to kit out cataphractii terminators? Their low movement seems to mean Bolters may make sense, but they can't get another long range heavy weapon. Twin claws sounds like it would make good use of their 4++, but their low movement means you're high and dry unless they have a Land Raider or you manage a charge quickly after teleporting.

What are people's thoughts. I have 5 or 10 to build for a mostly Terminator army and am wondering what people have had success with before building them.

I have 8 and I take just Bolters and the grenade harness as the best way to get such slow moving models into the action is teleporting in. A heavy flamer would be nice and all but it's a little wasted the turn you drop. Save the points and get into close combat.

I kit mine out with a few power fists (3) and 2 chainfists (kinda because they were built with the previous edition in mind but a -4 AP is handy to stop 3+ saves getting a lucky roll. Each wound with a chainfist is a dead Ork Nob or Primaris Marine at least.

Now I use the Lightning Claws as the cheaper fodder to remove first generally. 3 complete my unit of 8, armed only with a single claw to maximise my fire potential on the drop.

This unit is not optimised as the Chainfists are somewhat expensive but I consider the additional power fists essential as they only hit on a 4+ so you need more of them to make a splash.

If I was to rebuild the unit I'd take 4 power fists and 4 lightning claws but the effect is overall the same.

Drop in with a character, shoot holes in something with 32 bolter shots and charge if you can. If not, charge next time.

Make sure you have a balanced army presenting threats other than the Terminators. A gun line hanging back will see the Terminators dead as they're not able to flood the opponent with alternative targets.

For that, consider a turn 2 or 3 entry for the unit. It might feel like you're missing them but they'll make more of an impact if the opponent is otherwise committed.

Thank you for the feedback. I'm going to take that advice as far as arming them. Only question, with Fists now being only 4pts more than a single Claw, does it make sense to just go with Fists? Or is a balancing act between hitting more easily and rerolling wounds with the claw versus higher strength and potential multiple wounds with the fist? It seems like the claws would mostly help again standard 1W opponents, but the fists will do better against more elite targets. Do you find the mixed squad helps just because they're kind of jacks of all trades?

Don't forget you're gong to hit more with the Claws.

Mine are chainfists (3), and pairs of claws (2) and grenade harness I thin the Htrenade harness got FAQ'd to S5.

I made this squad in seventh too. If I redid it I'd go with 3 fists and 2 single claws. Cheap but flexible. Those bolt shot add up at 12"

My pattern for my Cataphractii are five men, four storm bolters, one heavy flamer, and five power fists. Lightning claws are good, but they don't hit particularly hard, especially when the enemy models have multiple wounds. Chainfists hit decently, but are almost twice the cost of a power fist, so... power fists. Storm bolters of course allow the unit to shoot at targets when they hit the ground, and do some damage even if you fluff the subsequent charge roll. The heavy flamer is there because I play Ultramarines, and their Chapter Tactic allows my models to withdraw from combat and shoot, and then use the heavy flamer on overwatch if they're charged. I regard it as cheap enough to take there.

The 4+ invulnerable makes them remarkably durable when combined with the two wounds terminators now get.

I opted to follow the advice given and built my cataphractii:

Sergeant with Combi-Bolter, Power Fist, and Grenade Harness.

Combat Squad leader with Combi-Bolter and Power Fist (in case I run them as 2 squads or combat squad them)

Heavy Flamer with Power Fist (as they are Ultramarines)

3x Combi-Bolter with Power Fist

4x Combi-Bolter with Lightning Claw

1x Officer with Combi-Bolter and Power Fist (to be either a Captain or an additional proper sergeant.)

Now I've just gotta get them all painted and see if I can get them on the tabletop. Thanks for all the advice everyone :)