Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Quick and Dirty 500 Point list.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

Ranulf

Ranulf

++ EQUESTER CANEO ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,079 posts

After being out of the hobby for over a decade, I've recently jumped back in to find everything has changed dramatically since 3rd edition. With that in mind, be gentle with the following 500 point start-up army. Its not intended as a tournament-level army by any stretch, just something to ease me back in. 

Once the basics are finished i'll eventually expand it to join a Inquisitorial Army or a stand alone Guard force. 

+++++

+  Astra Militarum (Patrol Detachment) +

+ HQ +

Company Commander [34 Pts]

Laspistol, Power Sword.

+ ELITES +

Command Squad [36 Pts]

3x Lasgun, Plasma Gun, Regimental Standard.

Commissar [35 Pts]

Bolt Pistol, Power Sword.

+ TROOPS +

Infantry Squad [55 Pts]

Chainsword, Heavy Bolter, Laspistol, Plasma Gun.            

Infantry Squad [55 Pts]

Tempestus Scions [56 Pts]

5x Scions, Chainsword, 3x Hot-Shot Lasgun, Hot-Shot Laspistol, Plasma Gun.                 

+ FAST ATTACK +

Scout Sentinels [45 Pts]

Multi-Laser, Scout Sentinel.                 

+ HEAVY SUPPORT +

Leman Russ Battle Tanks [182 Pts]

Battle Cannon, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Stubber, Heavy Bolter Sponsons.

Total: 498/500 Points.

++++++

Thoughts?

ZIbfbQY.jpg L_T_4_2019_Medal.gif

PliskinAJ

PliskinAJ

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 74 posts

At 500 points your limited on your options but I think its a decent list. 

My personal pref I would change a few things.

Regimental standard - gives you +1 LD. You already have a commissar that already does something similar. You can get a other plasma gun in there. 

Commissar - Bolt pistol is the same cost as a bolter. Everyone that can take a boltgun in my armies from now on out is. That is including every SGT in my line squads. 

Company commander - he is in the same ragned weapon boat the commissar is. He can also take a shotgun that can be 2 str 4 shots for an even swap for the laspistol. 

In larger games you might want to ditch the Russ for 3 more line squads and support but at this point level I think it will just be fine especially with that volume of fire it can deliver. 

Ranulf

Ranulf

++ EQUESTER CANEO ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,079 posts

Thanks for reply PliskinAJ.

In many ways I'm still stuck in 3rd edition when I last played. I keep forgetting that two ccw doesn't mean +1 attack anymore. A Boltgun for the Commissar it is. 

Regimental standard is in for when the list expands, but I could swap it for a regular guardsman now and use the points to upgrade the Sentinel to an Autocannon. Worth it to lose an attack but gain S7, AP-1 and 2D? 

Russ has to stay - for me they're the heart and soul of the Guard, even with their reduced effectiveness in 8th Ed. without blast templates. The standard battle cannon should still put some fear into those W2 Primaris marines.

PliskinAJ

PliskinAJ

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 74 posts
I get you with the Russ. I want to bring them and I probabaly have 10 of them but I have been doing pure foot guard. They are just too effective right now. If they 'fix' chimeras I might go back to mech guard.

Only 1 thing gives you +1 attack and it's the chain sword. For guard even characters cc is really bad. Mine are ranged support bolter chainsword for officers and bolter only for commisars to keep them cheap.

I haven't liked command squads because they are a 4 man vet team that can be singled out. Personal pref but I just go vets. I don't think I have used a standard in IG in years. I do use one with my DKOK because they have a regimental standard that also gives +1 attack.
I get you with the Russ. I want to bring them and I probabaly have 10 of them but I have been doing pure foot guard. They are just too effective right now. If they 'fix' chimeras I might go back to mech guard.

Only 1 thing gives you +1 attack and it's the chain sword. For guard even characters cc is really bad. Mine are ranged support bolter chainsword for officers and bolter only for commisars to keep them cheap.

I haven't liked command squads because they are a 4 man vet team that can be singled out. Personal pref but I just go vets. I don't think I have used a standard in IG in years. I do use one with my DKOK because they have a regimental standard that also gives +1 attack.

Halfpint100

Halfpint100

++ EXEMPLUM CONVECTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 1,224 posts

I would take ranged upgrades on your officers over melee upgrades. Plasma pistols or bolters. Even shotguns instead of laspistols are a great upgrade! double the shots at the same damage, with higher strength at half range. 

Command squads are too easy to kill being 4 dudes that you can target. They either need a medikit to heal an overcharge plasmagunner, be in a transport, take a long ranged heavy weapon for that lovely bs 3+, or not included IMO

Commy is better with a boltgun and a power maul is better than the sword for the same points. wounding MEQ on 3s rather than 5s is worth it. (which sucks since all of my commys are metal with pistols and swords)

Infantry squads are solid. Maybe a bolter on your srgs for that extra dakka

Try and squeeze in a plasma pistol on your scions and a second plasma gun. I run 2 squads of them in my 2k list. They are nasty! 

Havent used sentinels yet (I use hellhounds) But an autocannon > multilaser. one less shot but the rend and D2 is worth it.

Leman russes are so iconic among guard! I really want to use one, but they are so points inefficient. though at 500 points, many armies would struggle to deal with the monster that is T8 W12. So keep it.

Overall, I would remove the command squad, the power sword on the company commander and commissar.

Instead add: a Bolter on the company commander, a bolter on the commissar,  a bolter to each infantry squad, a plasma gun and plasma pistol to the scions, finally a mortar HWT squad (Soooo good!). You still have 6 points left over after these changes (I think). so a power weapon could be added somewhere or changing the multilaser to an autocannon. 

Hope this helps!

Ranulf

Ranulf

++ EQUESTER CANEO ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,079 posts

Cheers Halfpint100. smile.png

I would take ranged upgrades on your officers over melee upgrades. Plasma pistols or bolters. Even shotguns instead of laspistols are a great upgrade! double the shots at the same damage, with higher strength at half range. 

Commy is better with a boltgun and a power maul is better than the sword for the same points. wounding MEQ on 3s rather than 5s is worth it. (which sucks since all of my commys are metal with pistols and swords)

For me it'd depend on the look of the minis and my conversions, but I'll see if the look is right with plasma pistols/boltguns and the basic chainsword.

Infantry squads are solid. Maybe a bolter on your srgs for that extra dakka

Can't bring myself to stick bolters on sergeants - hate the look and the idea that a lowly sergeant would have access to advanced kit. I wish you could swap out for a basic lasgun. The joys of being a narrative gamer rather than a competitive one. msn-wink.gif

Havent used sentinels yet (I use hellhounds) But an autocannon > multilaser. one less shot but the rend and D2 is worth it.

Yup, on board with the change. Autocannon for the win.

Try and squeeze in a plasma pistol on your scions and a second plasma gun. I run 2 squads of them in my 2k list. They are nasty! 

Originally I was going to pass on the scions altogether, but it looks like a squad that can tank-hunt and bust MEQ squads with some extra (overcharged) plasma in there. Makes sense that the glory boys would get the best toys too. Plasma for the win!

Command squads are too easy to kill being 4 dudes that you can target. They either need a medikit to heal an overcharge plasmagunner, be in a transport, take a long ranged heavy weapon for that lovely bs 3+, or not included IMO

I totally get the logic, but it feels wrong to do away with command squads - i'm hoping the new codex drop with work them back in with company and platoon commanders as a single option that isn't freely target-able. I wait in hope.

finally a mortar HWT squad (Soooo good!).

Mortar HWT's are in the next expansion of the list - thoughts on pairing them with a Wyvern? 

Halfpint100

Halfpint100

++ EXEMPLUM CONVECTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 1,224 posts

Plasma pistols do look decent with chainswords IMO. Not sure about shotguns, I dont like GW shotguns personally, I use anvil regiments pump action ones.

I understand the sergeants. I use metal 1990s cadians for my infantry squads and I am not chopping them apart for a plastic bolter. 

I am the opposite with command squads. I really DO NOT want them to be a thing again. It comes from all of the books where officers may have 1 bodyguard/ general dogsbody, but rarely the whole squad of 4, unless they are the big dude at the top of the regiment. I prefer my officers leading from the front, running to whatever squads need them and not limited by dragging 4 dudes with him. 

I have never used a wyvern. 7th or 8th, so I cannot help you on that. I fell that guard have enough anti-infantry so my artillery tanks are a basilisk and manticore for tank popping. However a paired wyvern with 2 mortars + orders would destroy many a hidden unit (since they do not need LOS). 

Also! just realised. If you can get a second HQ and keep the 3 troops, you get 3 more CP. They are worth it! extra 3 re-rolls

Edited by Halfpint100, 14 September 2017 - 10:18 AM.

Ranulf

Ranulf

++ EQUESTER CANEO ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,079 posts

I am the opposite with command squads. I really DO NOT want them to be a thing again. It comes from all of the books where officers may have 1 bodyguard/ general dogsbody, but rarely the whole squad of 4, unless they are the big dude at the top of the regiment. I prefer my officers leading from the front, running to whatever squads need them and not limited by dragging 4 dudes with him.

For me it's about the regiment - I can see more formal ones (Cadians, Mordians etc) using command squads, regimental standards and all the pomp and ceremony. With the less formal ones (Catachan, Tallarn etc) I see officers as highly proficient fighters in their own right, moving alone to lend their prowess to squads where and when needed. That said, I might brush them at 500pts.

After a bit of a rethink and restructure to a Battalion detachment to gain the 3CP, here's the updated list:

+++++

+  Astra Militarum (Battalion Detachment +3CP) +

+ HQ +

Company Commander [35 Pts]

Plasma Pistol, Chainsword

Lord Commissar [55 Pts]

Bolter, Power Sword.

+ TROOPS +

Infantry Squad [55 Pts]

Infantry Squad [55 Pts]

Tempestus Scions [66 Pts]

5x Scions, Chainsword, 2x Hot-Shot Lasgun, Plasma Pistol, 2x Plasma Gun.                 

+ FAST ATTACK +

Scout Sentinels [50 Pts]

Autocannon, Scout Sentinel.                 

+ HEAVY SUPPORT +

Leman Russ Battle Tanks [182 Pts]

Battle Cannon, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Stubber, Heavy Bolter Sponsons.

Total: 498/500 Points.

++++++

Rat_Punter

Rat_Punter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 36 posts
Hey, I like this list. Seems fairly strong for 500pts.
At this level, a single character, geared correctly can mess you up hard. For a counter, I'd swap out the sentinel for 7ratlings. The mortal wounds can stack up nicely :)

gunnyogrady

gunnyogrady

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 175 posts
I love the revised list.

I would second that call on the ratlings. Between the move-shoot-move and +1 cover rules, they'll only be a little less durable than your Sentinel (provided you can shimmy them out of LOS).

In addition, the real value of Ratlings/Sentinels now is the ability to deploy out of your deployment zone and prevent enemy charges and deep strikes from happening early-game. The ratlings take up a bigger footprint, so they do this job a little better.

Also, sniper rifles are a real asset in 8th, because they can target the characters that really make your opponent's list tick. This is especially true at 500 points.

Last thing to keep in mind is which units you intend to use for the 1000+ point level as well, and be sure you're not building too many models/units that rock at the 500 point level that aren't as good for the bigger games.

Just my thoughts! Let us know when you have a game, I'd like to see how these guys fare!