brettfp's Kult of Speed - Waaagh Sparktoof (Update Nov 6)

brettfp

0HlMLTX.jpg

"Da Wazbanga"

Few things can distract Warboss Sparktoof from his endless hunt. One thing that always does is “Da Great Gorkanaut Race of Zagnarok”. More of a deadly assault course than a race, it's designed to push pilots to their limits. It was at this event that Sparktoof first met the Gorkanaut pilot Wazbanga,. Five time Zagnarok Champion, Wazbanga was a fan favourite with his egotistically named Gorkanaut “Da Wazbanga”. To the dismay of many though, after meeting Sparktoof and hearing of his Waaagh, Wazbanga instantly retired from racing to join Sparktoff on his quest for “Da Big One”.

Charging into battle flying the checkered flag from his final race, Wazbanga is a fierce pilot and deeply protective of his vehicle. Every dint and scratch made by the enemy is seen as a personal attack on him. The last time “Da Wazbanga” was rendered immobile, Wazbanga could be seen charging an entrenched Imperial gunline with his Big Choppa screaming “You're gonna pay for that you miserable little gits!”

++++++++

wKHIrGm.jpg

So yeah, I finally finished my Gorkanaut. Really stoked about how it came out in the end. With the big exhausts, red paint job, flames and racing stripes I think it would go like the clappers and perfect for my Speed Freak army :smile.:

I had a lot of fun adding all the little details!

When I was about 90% done I decided I needed a change of pace and went back to building, So I started on a Trukk

cEopcPP.jpg

I'm going for a jalopie tow truck feel...with the bullbar from Immortan Joe's ride in Fury Road
Then I realised I don't have anyone to put in it. (My burnas will go in the battlewagon) So I made a start on some boyz

YU1A2dO.jpg

I've been hesistant on making boyz as they don't really suit the theme of my army, but I have enough bits now that I can try my hand at some more 'wastelander-y' boyz. I think they're coming along ok.

My wife said the Nob looks like Bane so I figured I'd lean into it and gave his mask straps to make him even more like Bane

I also made another Big Mek
AjhVgcV.jpg

As awlays, C&C much appreciated!! :smile.:

Very nice start on the Gorkanaut. I'm loving the BSOD on the gun arm. You're making me want to get started on the Morkanaut left undercoated in a box somewhere. :smile.:

Thanks. You should, it is both a fun and annoying kit to paint :)

Finished my stormboyz finally! :smile.:

The one with the scarf on his face and the slugga looks so gangsta! :cool.::tongue.:
Thanks for noticing, that was kinda the idea, it's why his gun is tilted a bit

That is a really nice Iron-ork conversion! Love his power armor.

Thanks, It's one of my favourites :)

Great work on the 'naut, very hard to put any movement in them and I think you managed it well. Poor gunner being blue screened and all.

Thanks, I did my best, you could probably get more movement, but that's about the maximum without major surgery :)

That's a nice Trukk you have there. The suspension you've made is a particularly nice detail that would be easy to overlook. I like the enclosed cab as well, it looks pretty mean. With the crane on the back it would have been awesome for playing Gorkamorka back in the day. :)

ckCSvAq.jpg

Beg Mek Skrapgut & Mud

Skrapgut and Sparktoof had been good friends since they were young, but over time they became separated. Years later their path crossed when Skrapgut was working for Warboss Gordakka, who even by Ork standards was a cruel ruler. All Skrapgut wanted to do was invent new custom vehicles, but was being kept like a slave, relegated to fixing weapons. Sparktoof could see the potential in his old friend and knew his talents were being wasted. He challenged Gordakka for Skrapgut's freedom, saying he could beat any of Gordakkas riders in a race. Gordakka accepted.

Sparktoof easily won the race and Gordakka reluctantly allowed Skrapgut to go with him. As they left Sparktoof turned to Skrapgut

“Wot 'ave you always wanted ta build?”

“Well” said Skrapgut, scratching his chin. “I's 'ad dis idea of a Mek Shop...but on wheels”

“Ha!” Sparktoof smiled “You betta get started den”

+++++

So yeah finally finished my Big Mek

U9OewQJ.jpg

I decided to give him hi-vis overalls, thought it would be funny :)

I'm really happy with the oil stains on his hands and just how colourful he is

I also gave him a grot oiler i'm calling "Mud"

Yr5BucT.jpg

Someone on a different forum asked for better shots of the trukk cab, figured i'd put them here too

Z78SqLb.jpg

Thoughts?

That's a nice Trukk you have there. The suspension you've made is a particularly nice detail that would be easy to overlook. I like the enclosed cab as well, it looks pretty mean. With the crane on the back it would have been awesome for playing Gorkamorka back in the day. :smile.:

Thnaks, I was wondering if anyone would notice that :) The springs came form an old pen

• 4 weeks later...

Finished painting 'Skrap Grabba'

7dps5bG.jpg

I'm liking this, I used it for the first time last week, did it's job, got my burnas in to range before being blown up! :)

Also started on 2 more stormboyz

FSv8Qeq.jpg

Guy with meat cleaver and Dr. Strangelove :)

Just need to think of 3 more fun conversions...

Thoughts?

Very nice trucks there Brettfp.

Congratulations on attaining your Konversion badge!

Thanks and thanks! :)

Made 2 more Stormboyz

WJ2C4Kf.jpg

I've realise that my favourite thing with converting orks has been making kustom sluggas. here's a close up of my favourite one so far

BfBfzKq.jpg

Really happy with the sleak line of it, not sure it's orky but I like it.

I also made 2 more Boyz, again with kustom sluggas

T83D55L.jpg

I mostly made these 2 because my local GW's 40k league recently went from using power points to using normal points so these 2 will let me use a trukk of Boyz at full capacity :)

And also started on my next set of 3 Biker Nobs from each Klan, here's the Goff Nob

aO0J7ud.jpg

Thoughts?

Really enjoyed looking at your mob. The imagination you show is amazing. Particular fan of the snakebite Nob and Cyboar-sheer Orks madness.

Gives me plenty to think about with my own horde which I'm part way through painting up.

Finished the mobile mek shop

d7CzCWl.jpg

Put a lot of work into this, lot of detail going on! really happy with the end result. A lot of stuff changed with my idea as i built it. 

The grot with the Hat is called 'Da Sargent', his job is to man the rear big shoota and make sure the line for the mek shop doesn't get to unruly. He's the only grot the orks respect/listen to because they know if they don't they'll have to answer to Big Mek Skrapgut :)

Thoughts?

Really enjoyed looking at your mob. The imagination you show is amazing. Particular fan of the snakebite Nob and Cyboar-sheer Orks madness.

Gives me plenty to think about with my own horde which I'm part way through painting up.

Thanks, The snakebite is one of my favourites too! :)

Do you have a link to your orks?

I love the mace on the boy in the mask!

Thanks, the mace is from the Biker kit :)

This is an inspiring thread. Man I love the idea of Orks so much! That one Orks dual-wielding big shootas looks like he is having so much fun! :happy.:

Thanks. I hope to inspire! :) Yeah, I can't imagine many things more fun for an ork than TWO big shootas!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Amazing work Brett!, while I know my fledgling Evil Sunz army will never be this cool, I'm thoroughly inspired by what you've achieved.

What model did you use for Sparktoof?

Fantastic looking horde you got there! I love the small conversions and kit bashes throughout; it adds so much character to your boyz. The vehicles and the paint scheme are awesome too. Very inspiring stuff, keep up the good work and keep posting the progress!

• 1 month later...

So, I've been away from my orks for a while, I've been focusing on my death guard and necromunda (which unfortunately has a lack of orks)

But, I've finally gotten back to doing some orky stuff!!! :smile.:

First up, I finished painting my Goff Biker Nob

y0MmaRU.jpg

Pretty happy, as always I've tried to encapsulate the klan as best I can

A friend of mine was selling a bunch of old warhammer fantasy models (most from the early 2000's) that I snapped up. A bunch of cool stuff to use for conversions!

The first one I made was a Wierdboy

Tr6xnWY.jpg

Along with some boyz to go with him.

q6MSvle.jpg

They look a bit snakebite-y, but I'm hoping to make them just a bit more 'magic-y'. In my head making things look like they follow a magic ork means adding fantasy stuff! :smile.:

I also made a Nob with Waaagh Banner form various bits

FIOOynL.jpg

Thoughts?

That turned out amazing! The signs, the bike chassis, the dakka, the gubbins, the klaw! Very well done! :biggrin.:

Thanks! 

This is all looking great! Don't forget that you can add a Grot spitting fuel into one of the engines. :happy.:

Thanks, I was thinking of it but it doesn't have a blower, might add one to a future trukk though :wink:

I really like how your wasteland truck turned out!

Thanks! :smile.:

Blue screen of death? Check.
Iron man? Check.
Storm Grot? Check.
Stormboy riding rocket?! Extra check.
I'm subbed. This thread is epic. What a gorgeous set of models and Paint.

Thanks heaps, glad you like my little quirky bits 

Amazing work Brett!, while I know my fledgling Evil Sunz army will never be this cool, I'm thoroughly inspired by what you've achieved.

What model did you use for Sparktoof?

Thanks, I'm sure it could be, you just gotta practice!! 

Sparktof is based on Grukk Face-Rippa, He's in 'Warboss Grukk's Boss Mob'

Fantastic looking horde you got there! I love the small conversions and kit bashes throughout; it adds so much character to your boyz. The vehicles and the paint scheme are awesome too. Very inspiring stuff, keep up the good work and keep posting the progress!

Thanks!! I'm glad I can inspire 

Hopefully I will keep posting a bit more regularly!

I think you need to hurry up and get your Blood Axe biker done :P I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting to see what you do! Your conversions are top notch man. By far one if my favorite threads. Keep it up!

Well done! This is all great.

Loving your vehicles and your plasticard-fu. Particularly the Mek shop battlewagon, trucks and buggies.

Tony StOrk is great fun, so is the guy riding his Rokkit.

Some of those Warhammer fantasy orc heads would make great badmoons or goffs too.

Finally finished painting my Burna Boyz

tTOdSyP.jpg

rezpKF4.jpg

They are very fiddly to paint and I couldn't figure out a good way to paint them before assembling.

Also started on 5 more

S4K85Y7.jpg

QxLQsvh.jpg

Because the box only comes with 4 burnas and I don't really need a second spanner in the unit, I had to cut one in half to turn into two weapons. One of which turned out to be quite long :)

I also forgot to upload this guy yesterday, the final stormboy

kncaV76.jpg

He's quite new to being a stormboy and hasn't quite got the hang of it.

I'll probably be upload quite a bit of stuff over the next week or two as I have a whole bunch of stuff mostly painted that I hope to finish soon :)

Thoughts?

I think you need to hurry up and get your Blood Axe biker done :tongue.: I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting to see what you do! Your conversions are top notch man. By far one if my favorite threads. Keep it up!

Thanks!

Well, I've actually already started, but There's nothing really to show yet as he just looks like a biker, I'm planning on making him basically a Kommando on a bike!

Well done! This is all great.

Loving your vehicles and your plasticard-fu. Particularly the Mek shop battlewagon, trucks and buggies.

Tony StOrk is great fun, so is the guy riding his Rokkit.

Some of those Warhammer fantasy orc heads would make great badmoons or goffs too.

Thanks!!

Yeah, that pretty true, I've been tossing up the idea of adding some freebootaz to the mob so I'll bear that in mind.

Quick Update

Added some wings to one of my Storm Boyz

FJ5UUDy.jpg

Also got a bit of work done on my Blood Axe Nob Biker

RciNivq.jpg

He's wearing a balaclava! :)

I also put some silencers on his dakkaguns to make them more sneaky

hvSmwuh.jpg

Thoughts?

The variation you’ve added to the Burna bits is a nice touch.

The guy flying into the ‘stop’ sign is brilliant!

Thanks! I think I'm just gonna put an Ork Glyph transfer on the sign :)

Archived