brettfp's Kult of Speed - Waaagh Sparktoof (Update Nov 6)

brettfp

KZYxtrk.jpg

So, I'm finally starting an Ork army, as you can probably tell from the title I'm going with Kult of Speed!

My plan is to have almost no infantry, just bikes and buggies and planes etc. and as with my other threads I'll be posting WIP pictures along with bits of fluff to go along. 

My main inspirations are going to be old school hotrod artwork, things like Ed Roth (Ratfink) and Mad Max because

1) I've always been a huge fan of the series since I first saw them when I was like 12 and

2) as a huge film nerd from Australia it just seems right :biggrin.:

I'll also be throwing the odd pop culture reference into my conversions, I feel you can get away with that with Orks more than any other race

The First 2 units I'm working on are my Warboss on Bike 'Guzrusha Sparktoof' and his retintue of Nob Bikers. My plan is to have 6 Nobs, each one modelled to look like one of the 6 Ork Clans, the idea being that the Warboss lets them keep they're original colours when they joined the Kult of Speed, he cares not for clans, only pure, unadulterated speed!!!!

So, on with the pictures

First up is the Boss Nob (Evil Suns)

1P8kHWi.jpg

Like all of my models, this army will have a lot of character in each model. I made this guy (yet to be named) look super casual even though he's going at high speed, He's such an experienced Evil Sun that only the toppest of top speeds gets him excited. He's also got a jerry can and a bunch of extra exhausts. Still a little bit of work to do on him, but not much!! :smile.:

Next, My Bad Moons Nob

8w2m24g.jpg

I've tried to make him looks as much like a Flash Git as possible, that's why he has 2 bosspoles and the plan is he will have the fanciest, shiniest bike! His gun is actually from Grukk face-rippa, just slightly converted. I also gave him extra long teef, because...Bad Moons

And finally the start of Warboss Sparktoof's bike

W0276z0.jpg

I extended the front forks and and the body, I used a power klaw for the body extension. This bike is much bigger than the others, which makes sense for the bike of a huge warboss!! I've done some more work to this since I took the photos, will probably upload new ones soon :smile.:

So, there we go, I'm looking forward to this, I hope you are too!!

Any suggestions, question or comments???

So, I finished painting the evil suns nobs bike

xMGLx3I.jpg

Although looking at the photos now, i do wanna add some black to the end of the exhausts....whoops, I always forget something

I'll be attaching the gun once the nob is glued on. Painting ork stuff is fun!!

I'm still not sure about the base trim colour, I think it suits but it look a bit odd, but that might just be because I'm used to seeing dark base trims...thoughts?

I've also done some more work on Sparktoof's bike

Lm0vAoJ.jpg

I've almost finished it!! :) I only need to add the handlebars, the attack squig, the guns and the Warboss himself!

I added some custom bosspoles, It doesn't show so well in the picture, but the middle one is my attempt at Orkish for "Sparktoof"

Now that I have a few minutes: I love 'em! Keep 'em coming!

Thanks heaps!! :D

Love em! Your boss' bike is going to look so ridiculously metal! :biggrin.:

Thanks, yeah I hope so!!!!

I've finished the First Biker Nob

311OCPP.jpg

I'm really happy with how he came out, and I think it works well as a test model!

I've also done some work on the Warboss

lLUucIH.jpg

It doesn't really come across in this picture, but one of his teef is a spark plug, the us the name 'Sparktoof'. He's armed with what can only be described as a 'Kombi-Klaw'. still got quite a bit to do to him.

I've also had to make a larger base out of other bases

Al6x6Jr.jpg

probs would have been easier to just stick 2 bike bases together, but I just used what I had

There's also the start of his attack squig

IGxvfny.jpg

I figured if he's gonna be riding on a bike at high speed he needs goggles, still need to add straps.

Any suggestions for a name for this guy?

That squig is amazing and I need about 50 of them in my life right now! :lol:

Cracking job mate! The red has come out really nicely. Regarding the base trims, I've always been a fan of pure black as I feel it frames the model, but the shade of brown you've used really works with your scheme, so I say keep with it and see how you feel when you've done a mob! B)

Quick Update

I finished painting The Bad Moonz Nob's Bike

cP2BBHx.jpg

His bike is much much more shiny and cleaner than the last one, and I gave the grot a brighter skin tone

I forgot to put these up the other day, but I also started some Orky objective markers

V0KQIke.jpg

I've got an effigy of Gork (or possibly Mork) and a scrap pile for looting!!

That squig is amazing and I need about 50 of them in my life right now! :laugh.:

Cracking job mate! The red has come out really nicely. Regarding the base trims, I've always been a fan of pure black as I feel it frames the model, but the shade of brown you've used really works with your scheme, so I say keep with it and see how you feel when you've done a mob! :cool.:

Thanks, He looks heaps cuter now that the goggles have straps and lenses :smile.:

YCjotTK.jpg

The bike is outrageous! Excellent work!
I'm looking forward to see more!

Thanks, There will be more coming very soon!!

More progress on Boss Sparktoof

Y93phZq.jpg

Other than a few small things I need to fix with GS he's done!!! :smile.:

He also has a map rolled up and attached to his belt, I'll go into more detail about that when I write a small bit of background for him!

As a size comparison here he is next to my other biker

CNRR5Wm.jpg

He's quite a bit bigger and bare in mind that the other biker is a Nob too!!

I've also finshed painting his loyal attack squig (name still required) I love how cute he turned out :smile.:

UxZIinE.jpg

and the objectives, still need to make 4 more!

zObdcYK.jpg

C&C Welcome!!!!

Well I am loving quite a lot of this, well played. The goggles on the Squig are wonderful.

The extended bike for the warboss is a good call. Give him some presence.

Thanks a lot. Yeah, the warboss would also look a bit ridiculous on a normal bike

Quick Update

I finished the Bad Moonz Nob biker

GAhaWa2.jpg

His bike is a lot shinier than the other one, being a rich Bad Moon, I also gave him one blind eye because that head has a big scar across the eye.

Here's my progress on Guzrusha Sparktoof

j2qtASA.jpg

I've made his skin slightly darker than the nobz

I also made a start on a Big Mek, my plan is to eventually put him in a Mobile Mek Shop (Battlewagon) :)

The just screams the MCV's from the Command and Conquer games. I've been wanting to build a mek workshop inspired by a C&C construction yard but your idea of converting a battlewagon would also be pretty awesome.

A battlewagon as a Mobile Mek Shop - that's brilliant! I may have to build my own... :biggrin.:

The just screams the MCV's from the Command and Conquer games. I've been wanting to build a mek workshop inspired by a C&C construction yard but your idea of converting a battlewagon would also be pretty awesome.

Thanks to both of you!! turns out I actually forgot to add the photo of the mek

b3bsalt.jpg

RwejWzT.jpg

Warboss Guzrusha Sparktoof

The average Ork Warboss would start a Waaagh for power, or wealth, or to stop boredom. Warboss Guzrusha Sparktoof however, has a fairly unique goal. He is searching for 'Da Big One', An enormous engine from Ork folklore rumoured to be faster and more powerful than any other in the galaxy. Whilst most Orks see 'Da Big One' as a myth, Sparktoofs Speed Freak brain won't let him believe it isn't out there somewhere.

Riding his gigantic Warbike with his faithful attack squig 'Zog'ead', Warboss Sparktoof leads his band of like-minded Orks from planet to planet in search of his prize. After scouring a planet, He crosses the planet off on his map which he keeps attached to his belt at all times, and they set off for the next world.

When he was still just a young Nob known only as Guzrusha, he was hit in the face with a plasma blast while fighting some Armageddon Steel Legion. Though the Dok did his best to fix Guzrusha's injuries, he couldn't fix the fact that Guzrusha had lost the ability to grow his large toof on one side of his mouth. Feeling that his face was missing something, Guzrusha grabbed a broken spark plug from a Mek and jammed it into his empty gum. From then on he became known as Sparktoof.

“Ha, fast?!? Ya call dat fast?!? You ain't never seen propa fast 'til now ya stinkin li'l runt!!!”

-Warboss Sparktoof whilst chasing down a Druhkari Reaver

I'm really happy with Sparktoof, I think he's a fitting leader for a Kult of Speed army!! I'm really enjoying painting Orks :smile.:

I did my best to get the details form his backstory onto the model. I like trying to tell a bit of a story with my conversions. Here are some better comparison shots of just how big he is!

H6PxbBA.jpg

I've also made a start on a Warbuggy

572yxtM.jpg

As always, C&C more than welcome!!! :)

Looking good. I look forward to seeing what you do with the buggy. :smile.:

Thanks, well here's one of them!!

7JhnWlh.jpg

I'm really happy with how the shape came out :) Pretty much finished, just a few small details to add, drill out the guns and exhausts and seal up the seams on the tires

here is it in it's easy-to-paint mode

4iqgIbF.jpg

I've also started on another one

Bo0gg2i.jpg

Unfortunately I'm still waiting on bits I ordered weeks ago and I can't really progress until they arrive, just goes to show why heavy converting and living in Australia isn't the best mix :sad.:

Quick Update

Some of my bits finally arrived so I made a pretty good start on my Snakebite Nob Biker and his cyboar!!!

4XmJN28.jpg

still some GS to do

Mate I'm loving this log! So much amazing work on display here. Can't wait to see what's next! :cool.:

Thanks heaps, I have a fair amount of stuff that I hope to get finished in the next few months!

Finished building my Snakebite Nob Biker

FpebwMD.jpg

Really happy with how his stance/position looks, feels like he's charging in :)

Also got some more objective markers done!

87337Hb.jpg

2 more scrap piles and a some various explosives

Quick update on the Snakebite Nob

15kodaY.jpg

Aside from a few small details, I've finished his Cyboar!! Plan to get the rest done over the weekend

If you are still needing a name for the Boss' Squig, what about Nero.

Nero is the furry caterpillar sidekick of Baron Silas Greenback from Danger Mouse. 

I had to look it up having never watched the show, It seems pretty appropriate, but if you read the small bit of fluff I put up with the pics of Sparktoof, I ended up deciding on calling him Zog'ead. One of those affectionately rude names :)

Finished painting the Snakebite Nob

bw5LmkE.jpg

I like how colourful he ended up being. I think he is VERY OBVIOUSLY a Snakebite which is good!

I now have a full unit :) will hopefully be playing my first game with these guys this week!

Now to start painting my first warbuggie... 'Da Rumbla' :)

Well, I finished the body and chassis of 'Da Rumbla'

v1BCmhR.jpg

Pretty happy with it, its got that Ed Roth via Mad Max look that I was going for :) and I think it looks suitably mean

I've made a start on the driver and gunner, but nothing worth showing yet

Any thoughts??

Archived