Testing house rules for cover

Styx666

Since the cover is more of a myth in 8th edition, and shooting is (IMHO of course) way too strong in 8th edition the group I play in have been testing out some rules to tone shooting down a bit. So the game isn't decided on who gets the first turn as much.

A quick note first, your miles may vary of course due to what kind of terrain you use. We use mainly 40k ruins and there are holes everywhere so there are very few places to hide vehicles from line of sight.

Cover, infantry completely within an area terrain or behind the cover (within 1"), and vehicles have to be at least 50% covered.
The enemy gets -1 to hit due to concealment, and the models in the area terrain or behind the cover (within 1") get +1 Armour save.

And you get this for everything... Even whole buildings, not just ruins as in the rulebook ;)

What do you think?

Some possible unintended consequences of the -1 to hit would mean Plasma's overheat on a 1 or a 2. I think the -1 to hit is a bit much as well, I think scaling cover is a better albiet slightly more complicated method.

It doesnt make much sense that a ruins wall provides the same cover benefit as a reinforced bunker. I think a +1-+3 to armor save depending on the level of "fortification" you determine said cover to be is a good way to handle it but does require a bit of a discussion before the game. This also makes the Imperial Fist alot better.

Another way to handle is to add keywords, INTO, OUT OF, or THROUGH. So like shooting into the woods may give a +1 to cover but shooting through the woods to the unit on the other side may give a +2.

I have a feeling that GW is going to overhaul terrain in Chapter Approved, though they may not and leave it barren but release more terrain boxes with unique rules to push sales that way.

Some possible unintended consequences of the -1 to hit would mean Plasma's overheat on a 1 or a 2. I think the -1 to hit is a bit much as well, I think scaling cover is a better albiet slightly more complicated method.

It doesnt make much sense that a ruins wall provides the same cover benefit as a reinforced bunker. I think a +1-+3 to armor save depending on the level of "fortification" you determine said cover to be is a good way to handle it but does require a bit of a discussion before the game. This also makes the Imperial Fist alot better.

True, didn't think of that one :)

I would rule it as Plasma's overheat on a natural roll of 1.

Thought about going Soft Cover (forest, bushes, tents etc) giving you +1 Armour, Hard Cover (Ruins, buildings (whole buildings! .. a pet peeve of mine ;)), rock formations giving you +2 Armour.