Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Testing house rules for cover

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Styx666

Styx666

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13 posts

Since the cover is more of a myth in 8th edition, and shooting is (IMHO of course) way too strong in 8th edition the group I play in have been testing out some rules to tone shooting down a bit. So the game isn't decided on who gets the first turn as much.

A quick note first, your miles may vary of course due to what kind of terrain you use. We use mainly 40k ruins and there are holes everywhere so there are very few places to hide vehicles from line of sight.

Cover, infantry completely within an area terrain or behind the cover (within 1"), and vehicles have to be at least 50% covered.
The enemy gets -1 to hit due to concealment, and the models in the area terrain or behind the cover (within 1") get +1 Armour save.

And you get this for everything... Even whole buildings, not just ruins as in the rulebook ;)

What do you think?

Brother Casman

Brother Casman

++ ACCUDO FULMINEUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,023 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Ravens
I do like the change to allow models close to cover to gain the benefits. I'm not sold on the -1 to hit/concealment part though.
Brother Casman's Terrain Extravaganza! - Everything is complete! | 2015 Thread of Things! - Some infantry arrive.

"Sometimes the Imperium needs heroes, sometimes saints and other times it needs monsters, for the dark void of the stars is cold and has bred nightmare and treachery most could never dream of. So when some call him tyrant, world-burner, apostate and butcher, remember this: He commanded armies on a hundred worlds and spanned cursed stars where saints would fear to tread, and in doing so held back the night. Monster he may have been, but he was ours and I for one thank the God-Emperor for him." - Inquistor Marr, Speaking of Lord-Errant Cromhal, Supreme Commander of the Aegisine Crusade, M.39

Brother_Gneecapper

Brother_Gneecapper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 92 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templar

Some possible unintended consequences of the -1 to hit would mean Plasma's overheat on a 1 or a 2. I think the -1 to hit is a bit much as well, I think scaling cover is a better albiet slightly more complicated method.

It doesnt make much sense that a ruins wall provides the same cover benefit as a reinforced bunker. I think a +1-+3 to armor save depending on the level of "fortification" you determine said cover to be is a good way to handle it but does require a bit of a discussion before the game. This also makes the Imperial Fist alot better.

Another way to handle is to add keywords, INTO, OUT OF, or THROUGH. So like shooting into the woods may give a +1 to cover but shooting through the woods to the unit on the other side may give a +2.

I have a feeling that GW is going to overhaul terrain in Chapter Approved, though they may not and leave it barren but release more terrain boxes with unique rules to push sales that way.

gallery_38474_6916_3702.jpg

Styx666

Styx666

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13 posts

Some possible unintended consequences of the -1 to hit would mean Plasma's overheat on a 1 or a 2. I think the -1 to hit is a bit much as well, I think scaling cover is a better albiet slightly more complicated method.

It doesnt make much sense that a ruins wall provides the same cover benefit as a reinforced bunker. I think a +1-+3 to armor save depending on the level of "fortification" you determine said cover to be is a good way to handle it but does require a bit of a discussion before the game. This also makes the Imperial Fist alot better.

True, didn't think of that one :)
I would rule it as Plasma's overheat on a natural roll of 1.

Thought about going Soft Cover (forest, bushes, tents etc) giving you +1 Armour, Hard Cover (Ruins, buildings (whole buildings! .. a pet peeve of mine ;)), rock formations giving you +2 Armour.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users