Eisen Speer Crusade - Castellan and a Tie

Hawklynn

She could freehand some alluring pin-ups on the tanks? (Male or female, it's her choice.)

I had story ideas about Americanized magical girls whose "cute animal mascot" is a helicopter gunship. (FYI, their "magic wands" are firearms adorned with cute ribbons and other decorations.) Maybe Pusheen the Cat or similar animals can adorn the tanks? (They'd be easier to paint than a pinup.)

• 2 weeks later...

Not this weekend that just passed, but the one before, I managed to get some models based. Few touch ups to the paint here and there, but not really much left to do.

20180304 090102

20180304 085945

20180304 085958

I also managed to tally up the approximate points value of my BT army. It currently sits at ~4,000 points. The majority of the army is troops. I need more elites and some heavy support, but all that is going to the back burner for now.

After I finish the five or so models that I am currently working on I will be taking a break from painting 40K minis and working on standard, tall ship models (I currently have the Mayflower) as a nice break point. I have some fantasy minis that I might paint along the way as well.

For now, I will be trying to get in as many games as I can.

• 2 months later...

After a month of having all my free time go to other things (wife and kids, so worth it) I was finally able to put a bit of non-primer paint to my ETL vow. I am just working on the arms right now trying to get some mixing combinations down.

20180603 131107

20180603 131135

20180603 131202

Good start and I like how I think this will play out. White shoulders on a dread always looks tasty with black legs and torso.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't made much headway on my ETL vow since the last post. I managed to get some black on the body and legs. I put the first coat of metal paint on the legs but will need at least one more layer.

Other than that, some things have been coming together for me recently. I digitally designed up company and squad banners for four companies, the Marshal's household, and a Reclusiarch Company (that's right, company, not squad). I purchased cheap Forge World knock off bits from online (not bad, but the details do not pop). I finally got some 2mm magnets and a pin vise for weapons options. 

Part of the loss of motivation to actually paint and work on anything was needing to spend time with the kids which involved a lot of outside type stuff (on the Texas Gulf Coast, in the summer). However, my oldest has asked me to help her finish her model car and I finally purchased the young one some washable paints, brushes, and found some butcher's paper in the garage.

On top of that, my best friend has decided to start a 40k army and is wanting to go Space Wolves (I am already shaming him for his choice). 

These things have built my motivation back up, and with BOTH my kids painting I do not have to try and play Ring Master as much, and I am going to try and get my ETL vow up to at least 50% complete this weekend. Oh, and get new pics of my army as a whole since I have not done that since September.

These things have built my motivation back up, and with BOTH my kids painting I do not have to try and play Ring Master as much, and I am going to try and get my ETL vow up to at least 50% complete this weekend.

It is a measure of your ZEAL to spot  the ELT 8 weeks and then get your vow done :)

Impressive.

Remember, every completion is important. Every completion adds to the win.

• 1 month later...

Well, as can be seen in my signature, I did not manage to finish my vow in time. Turns out that the last week of the competition was during family holiday so . . . I had more fun in Colorado than I would have at the painting table.

The more I got into painting up the dread for ETL VI the more small bits and things I noticed that would need to be painted for a competition. As it stands, I am going to do some finishing touches and retouch some areas and then call it done.

After a chat with Brother Christopher, on his Crusade page, a while back I decided to give my army a quick look over and to start setting up my individual companies. Were I playing anything but BT my army would be near complete to me. However, I am extremely choppy initiate deficient. This is being rectified, slowly. I am purchasing parts off of Ebay and have thus far picked up five pairs of running legs from assault marines as I decided that choppy marines should never look stagnant and always be charging. Next purchase will be torsos, backpacks, and chainswords, all purchased in groups of five. I would have liked to have gotten more assault marine legs, but ebay only has them in singles at the moment and I am a cheapskate. Next purchase will hopefully be bolt pistols (and arms) and possibly helmets (if I cannot find the extras that I have at home). 

Once the torsos and backpacks come in I will be going back to my old painting process of applying the primer and will then work on body parts across the board (i.e. all legs and torsos, then everything else). 

With these models I am going to attempt to magnetize the arms, or at least the ccw arms, for future load out options.

I have also been purchasing some FW knock off parts from Wish.com. The main pieces I am looking for are the 30k character bases that I can use for my "important" units/characters and they have them for cheap. Having never purchased anything from FW, and having only read reviews, I have to say that I am not overly impressed with what I received. Extremely brittle (the bottom exhaust vents on a commander's backpack broke while removing a brick of flash), lost detail and the detail that is not lost is just meh. In the future, I will check other sights for bits, but for now I can deal with "Meh." 

Crud, I need to buy some primer. *stomps off looking for wallet*

Proof that our beloved, immortal Emperor answers our prayers.

Yesterday I lamented that Ebay only had, at best, single sets of assault marine legs when I need a lot of them.

Today I log in to purchase some torsos, chainswords, and backpacks. After making the purchase of what was already in my cart I decided to see if any groups of legs had been listed for sale. First item that pops up is a lot of forty-three (43) assault legs for just over $20 USD with shipping and handling that had been posted less than an hour before I looked.

They will be delivered before the 15th of this month.

Now, to get everything else I need.

Oh, and I did manage to find the extra helmet heads last night.

Still need primer though.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished up my Castellan for 2nd Co and a Company Ancient on Friday. Pics of the Castellan below (the pics of the CA were really cruddy).

Castellan Schmidt 2nd Co

Castellan Schmidt 2nd Co

Castellan Schmidt 2nd Co

Had a 2k point game on Saturday. My buddy decided to be funny and bring out his own BT force. To say it was a slug fest would be an understatement. At the end of turn 4 we decided to call the game a draw. He had me on points, but I had him on attrition. It was a fun game.

Archived