Eisen Speer Crusade - Castellan and a Tie

Hawklynn

This weekend did not go as planned. However, not all was lost. Thursday and Friday's painting blocks were cancelled (well TH was, FRI had enough time to paint scout arms and legs). Saturday I was not able to work on my vehicle due to all the bays at work being full. I pulled out my painting supplies and WiP models, looked over all of them, pushed them to the side and began working on my EC. During bouts of down time (waiting for paint to dry) I worked on my Crusade Marshal v1.0.

EC was finished after a thirteen hour marathon of painting (broken up here and there to make dinner, watch cartoons with the kids, and to give my eyes a break; so not really a marathon). I am extremely happy with how he looks and just need to get the Crusade badge on the knee and the cross on the shoulders. The Emperor truly was guiding my brush.

I decided to do the capes and other flowing parts of members of the Marshal's House proper in the Marshal's colors (VMC Deep Yellow.)

EC1

EC2

EC3

EC4

EC5

Crusade Marshal v1.0 came a long a lot faster than I thought he would. The torso was already painted, but I decided to repaint the cape to match the Marshal's personal color scheme. I just need to finish up the shoulder pads, head, and get the Crusade badge on the knee and banner.

Unfortunately, no pics of the Marshal yet. I will try to get some tonight when I get home.

I knew that the yellow was a gamble, but I like it. It has a single layer of the old school GW Yellow Ink on it.  Also, these old inks are all that I have for adding depth. The ink wash colors that I have now are black, red, yellow, green, and blue (the basics). Would you suggest using the black ink to get the depth? 

The edge of the sword was done by mixing VMC Natural Steel with yellow ink; I used a bit to much yellow. The middle was done by mixing VMC Natural Steel with black ink.

Next time I am at the FLGS I will look into getting a few other GW washes, although VMC is my preferred brand.

Finally, here are the pics of my marshal. Lots of work to do still. I ordered a set of new paint brushes to use exclusively with metallic paints that should be here in the next week or so. That should eliminate the issues I am having applying gold. 

Ah, the yellow madness! This looks great, definitely a fresh and unique look.

Have you tried using two water pots, one for 'normal' and one for metallic paints? Or chaning water whenever you clean your brushes after using metallics? From my experience, this should be enough to deal with any metallic specks, if that's your problem, that is.

I use two different pots, both with old springs in the bottom, for that reason. The issues I am having with my metallic paint is the brushes themselves. Aside from the different water pots I try to use a different brush set between the two kinds of paint. I ran into issues of using the same brush for both when I was painting WWII plane models several years ago. The brushes that I have for my metallic paints are old, older than my marriage old, and most of the tips on the fine brushes have curled or managed to get that one spot of dried paint that will just not come off, or both. New brushes will/should remedy this.

Zealous coincidence actually. My marshal's fluff is loosely based off of Otto II "The Pious" who was the third of the Holy Roman Emperors of old Terra. As such his personal colors are those of the flag of the Holy Roman Empire, which is yellow and black. The yellow tabards will only be on those marines who are in the marshal's household / entourage. I wanted to give my EC the yellow to represent his relationship to the marshal (and I knew it would pop with the basing that I did).

Spent some time organizing my foot sloggers into proper units this weekend with the attachments and dedicated transports (where applicable). Not all models in the units are completely painted (or have all their parts), but my goal was to organize the force based on what I could field if I had a game this weekend. Squad 3 is lead by the Castellan/Marshal as midfield fire support for Squads 1 and 2. Squads 4 through 6 are anti-armor/personnel firing lines. Squad 6 still in the process of having initiates added and is acting as a "catch all" at the moment. 

Squad 1 with Chaplain, EC, Rhino

Squad 1

Squad 2 with Company Champion, Apothecary, Rhino

Squad 2

Squad 3 with Castellan/Marshal, Razorback

Squad 3

Squad 4 with Company Ancient

Squad 4

Squad 5

Squad 5

Squad 6

Squad 6

Points total for all this is 1490 which is not bad. I have a much larger infantry base than I realized. With two assault squads, a dreadnought, and Predator Destructor it sits at 2070 points. 

I will be taking better photos once I get my light box.

Managed to complete my marshal and two sword brothers. I have my company ancient painted up and am working on the banner.

Marshal

IMG 6623

IMG 6626

IMG 6627

IMG 6628

Sword Brother #1

IMG 6629

IMG 6630

IMG 6631

IMG 6632

Sword Brother #2

IMG 6633

IMG 6634

IMG 6635

IMG 6636

Company Ancient

IMG 6637

IMG 6638

IMG 6639

IMG 6640

20180116 192524

I managed to score a game against the same DA player as last time. 1500pts next Saturday. His DA are pretty much all Primaris. I am going to need to bring some Dakka to this fight.

Time to build that list.

Here is the tentative list. Not sure if I should drop some stuff and add in a regular terminator squad.

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [87 PL, 1505pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Black Templars

+ HQ +

Captain [5 PL, 110pts]: Combi-plasma, Relic blade

Chaplain [5 PL, 72pts]: Bolt pistol, The Armour Indomitus

The Emperor's Champion [4 PL, 75pts]

+ Troops +

Crusader Squad [9 PL, 129pts]
. 5x Initiate w/Chainsword

. Initiate w/Heavy Weapon: Power sword
. Initiate w/Special Weapon: Flamer
. Sword Brother: Plasma pistol, Power axe

Crusader Squad [9 PL, 122pts]
. Sword Brother: Bolt pistol, Power axe

Crusader Squad [5 PL, 103pts]
. 2x Initiate
. Initiate w/Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter
. Initiate w/Special Weapon: Plasma gun
. Sword Brother: Chainsword, Combi-plasma

Crusader Squad [9 PL, 155pts]
. 8x Initiate
. Initiate w/Heavy Weapon: Lascannon
. Sword Brother: Boltgun, Chainsword

+ Elites +

Apothecary [3 PL, 55pts]: Teeth of Terra

Company Champion [3 PL, 54pts]: Combat shield, Master-crafted power sword, The Burning Blade

Dreadnought [7 PL, 134pts]: Assault cannon
. Dreadnought combat weapon w/Storm Bolter: Storm bolter

+ Fast Attack +

Assault Squad [6 PL, 103pts]: Jump Pack
. 2x Space Marine

. Space Marine Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Combat shield, Power axe
. Space Marine w/Special Weapon
. . Plasma Pistol & Chainsword: Plasma pistol

+ Heavy Support +

Predator [9 PL, 156pts]: Hunter-killer missile, Predator autocannon, Two Heavy Bolters

+ Dedicated Transport +

Razorback [5 PL, 89pts]: Storm bolter, Twin heavy bolter

Rhino [4 PL, 74pts]: 2x Storm bolter

++ Total: [87 PL, 1505pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Brother, I have a few suggestions. 

1. I love the concept of your armying toting many relics, they're cool and can be awesome. The only problem I see is that you're already sinking.... 6? Command points, all, before the game even starts. I don't know about you, but I've found the re-roll to help numerous times. That said, I'd probably remove the Teeth of Terra from the apothecary, as he shouldn't see too much combat, if he does, well... his time may be up. 

1.a The idea of a Company Champion is too cool, brought a few myself, and the sword is decent in it's own right. The burning blade, I forget what it does so can't add much here.

Anyhow, just something to consider, lowering relics to have more CPs.

2. I'd drop some marines in the Lascannon squad, to 5, and put the remainder in your CC squads. I would also move the plasmagun fro mthe 5 man HB squad into the new 5 man Lascannon squad. Spread the points out a bit and make the 5 man crusader squad efficient. 

3. Finally I'd swap out the Relic Blade for a Thunderhammer. I find it's more points efficient but could be proven wrong with mathhammer. 

My thoughts,

That said, you're making me want to try and use several relics. Sounds awesome.

Best of luck, brother. 

Make them pay for the Ophidium Gulf

Brother, I have a few suggestions. 

1. I love the concept of your armying toting many relics, they're cool and can be awesome. The only problem I see is that you're already sinking.... 6? Command points, all, before the game even starts. I don't know about you, but I've found the re-roll to help numerous times. That said, I'd probably remove the Teeth of Terra from the apothecary, as he shouldn't see too much combat, if he does, well... his time may be up. 

1.a The idea of a Company Champion is too cool, brought a few myself, and the sword is decent in it's own right. The burning blade, I forget what it does so can't add much here.

Anyhow, just something to consider, lowering relics to have more CPs.

2. I'd drop some marines in the Lascannon squad, to 5, and put the remainder in your CC squads. I would also move the plasmagun fro mthe 5 man HB squad into the new 5 man Lascannon squad. Spread the points out a bit and make the 5 man crusader squad efficient. 

3. Finally I'd swap out the Relic Blade for a Thunderhammer. I find it's more points efficient but could be proven wrong with mathhammer. 

My thoughts,

That said, you're making me want to try and use several relics. Sounds awesome.

Best of luck, brother. 

Make them pay for the Ophidium Gulf

1. [/headdesk numerous times] I totally forgot about relics costing CPs, and I was excited to build a list. This is only my second game and I am still learning the rules. So . . . yeah, gonna need to change that. Re-rolls are way to important. Thank you for catching that and reminding me. I will sing Litanies of Penance tonight.

2. Sound idea. That should free up some points. The issue that I have is that my CC squads are dedicated to transports and maxed out with HQ and Elite attachments so adding to them will not work (although this could change in future lists). I might split the shooty unit into two and see about getting some neophytes in there.

3. If I had a TH I would be running it. Sadly, that is on my "To Purchase" list that is about a mile long. As it stands, I will probably drop the CP costing relics and keep the relic blade. 

Thank you very much for the advice. I will make the adjustments and see how it looks.

Reworked the list for this weekend slightly. 

Thoughts?

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [90 PL, 1501pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

Captain [5 PL, 114pts]: Combi-melta, Relic blade
Chaplain [5 PL, 72pts]: Bolt pistol

+ Troops +

Crusader Squad [5 PL, 90pts]
. 3x Initiate

Crusader Squad [12 PL, 160pts]: 4x Neophyte w/Shotgun
. 3x Initiate

+ Elites +

Apothecary [3 PL, 55pts]
Company Champion [3 PL, 54pts]: Combat shield, Master-crafted power sword
+ Fast Attack +

. 2x Space Marine

+ Heavy Support +
Predator [9 PL, 156pts]: Hunter-killer missile, Predator autocannon, Two Heavy Bolters

+ Dedicated Transport +

++ Total: [90 PL, 1501pts] ++

Story time!!! I was looking at the map of the Imperium searching for a place to put my crusade to aid in its fluff. What I found (on Facebook) was a narrative game for Corillo Prime. I read the limited amount that was available and began working on the following.

****************************************************************************************************

The three cruisers transferred from the Warp simultaneously. The servants and crew aboard the bridge of the command ship Goeben worked intently to bring all view screens and scanners online. One by one the each screen cleared the static created by the transition. The familiar pings of scans sent and returned began to fill the chamber. No one looked up from their stations, each man diligently at work.

Just before the force of cruisers had transitioned into the warp after their training exercises they received a distress call from the planetary governor of Delus Minor. Chaos was trying to gain a foothold on the planet, located to the Galactic West of Cirillo Prime and the Rift Corridor of the Maledictum. Marshal Otto knew that if the planet fell the entire region would be lost to Chaos. Especially since Cirillo Prime was already under assault from the combined forces of Chaos and Xenos.

The Imperium was barely holding out against the enemy forces on Cirillo Prime. Now it looked as if the heretics were trying to find a way to cut the planet off completely. The Marshal was determined for them to find this particular way closed and barred. He had given the orders for a change in course and the flotilla had transitioned into the Warp soon after.

The ships slid silently through the black, the planet of Delus Minor growing rapidly in the view screens. She was a mixed hive/agricultural world. Her rolling plains and lush forests spanned the largest of the continents while the smaller ones held massive hive cities. It had been discovered centuries before that the soil was ideal for agriculture and that the earth underneath was rich in mineral and ore deposits. While the planet was not considered a major producer, she still belonged to the Emperor of Mankind.

As the planet loomed closer its orbital rotation brought the main continent into view. It was a disaster. More than half the agriculture output had been burned away. Hundreds of thousands of miles now a vast, charred wasteland. Massive fires still burned at the fringes of the waste and an obsidian cloud rose into the sky above obscuring the view to all but the most powerful scans.

Marshal Otto was looking at the devastation when the bridge’s alarms began going off. He had expected this. Taking a deep breath, he turned to the crew, “Report!”

“Sir, we are tracking a small fleet of ships in orbit above the planet.”

“Location? Bring them up on the screen.”

The central vid-screen’s image enlarged several times bringing into view what appeared to be marine strike cruisers in orbit directly above the fringe of the wasteland. Marshal Otto squinted at the image.

“Closer, I want to see who we are dealing with.”

The image enlarged again and the entire bridge heard the sharp hiss that left Otto’s mouth. Suddenly he exploded into action.

“Target the ships with torpedoes. I want all bombard cannons to fire on the co-ordinates that I am inputting now. Order of battle has not changed. We begin launching troops in ten minutes to these co-ordinates. Once we are away close with and destroy those ships. And send a message to command that we are engaging the enemy.”

The marshal turned from his command podium and began walking towards the door, his yellow and orange cape flowing behind. His face was set in a grim determination. After the issues had with the work-ups to this deployment, he would not tolerate failure of any kind. There was no room for error.

“Sir, who shall we report the enemy to be?”

Otto stopped, looking back over his shoulder he said only two words and walked from the bridge. Those words hung heavy in the air. The servant turned back to his screen and entered the information before sending it out.

“Fallen Angels.”

Reworked the list for this weekend slightly. 

Thoughts?

Now I don't see any relics on your HQ! You went from too many to none. I highly suggest using the Crusader's Helm to increase the re-roll aura on either the Captain or the Chaplain

GAH!!! I thought I had left that in there. Curse you Red Herring.

FIXED!

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ Dedicated Transport +

+ Heavy Support +

+ HQ +

Chaplain [5 PL, 72pts]: Bolt pistol, The Crusader's Helm

+ Elites +

Apothecary [3 PL, 55pts]

+ Fast Attack +

. 2x Space Marine

+ Troops +

. 3x Initiate

. 3x Initiate

I like the buildup. Can't wait to hear how this battle goes.

Judging by your fluff, your Crusade had a training mission against a DA Primaris force before deployment, so is the upcoming battle vengeance for a personal insult to your Castellan, or does he have some secret past concerning the Ophidium Gulf and its prisoner? Either way, I look forward to the clash of knightly orders.

I like the buildup. Can't wait to hear how this battle goes.

Judging by your fluff, your Crusade had a training mission against a DA Primaris force before deployment, so is the upcoming battle vengeance for a personal insult to your Castellan, or does he have some secret past concerning the Ophidium Gulf and its prisoner? Either way, I look forward to the clash of knightly orders.

I am actually just referencing the army of the guy I am playing against at the moment. He is giving me the crash course in game play and runs DAs. Fluff can change (don't we all know it) and I might just retcon my own in the future. I am just not experienced enough to add the kind of padding to my reports to represent a true heretical army in my fluff. As I said, RETCON!

GAH!!! I thought I had left that in there. Curse you Red Herring.

FIXED!

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ Dedicated Transport +

+ Heavy Support +

+ HQ +

Chaplain [5 PL, 72pts]: Bolt pistol, The Crusader's Helm

+ Elites +

Apothecary [3 PL, 55pts]

+ Fast Attack +

. 2x Space Marine

+ Troops +

. 3x Initiate

. 3x Initiate

well, i think this is decent list for a friendly play, of course if you won't face a lot of plasma-primaris and Agressory-guys. 

I used to love chaplains in 7th, but in my opinion they suck (even Grimaldus) in 8th. The Marshalls (or High Marshall) just better, with everything rerolls, not just close combat. Also power swords and axes in crusader squads are... Dunno. Never make anything. They may kill a gaurdsmen or two, but any close combat oriented squad will smash their faces. I propose Power Fists on Sword brother and heavy weapons initiate - 3 attacks with power 8 will be nasty, and other guys are there as meatsheilds (also may throw ocassional melta).

Also i see in your roster a lop of anti-light-infantry potential, but i guess you may have trouble vs mechanised armies with a lot of tanks.

I think balance is 40% units vs infantry, 40 % vs vehicles and 20 % for scoring.  

well, i think this is decent list for a friendly play, of course if you won't face a lot of plasma-primaris and Agressory-guys. 

I used to love chaplains in 7th, but in my opinion they suck (even Grimaldus) in 8th. The Marshalls (or High Marshall) just better, with everything rerolls, not just close combat. Also power swords and axes in crusader squads are... Dunno. Never make anything. They may kill a gaurdsmen or two, but any close combat oriented squad will smash their faces. I propose Power Fists on Sword brother and heavy weapons initiate - 3 attacks with power 8 will be nasty, and other guys are there as meatsheilds (also may throw ocassional melta).

Also i see in your roster a lop of anti-light-infantry potential, but i guess you may have trouble vs mechanised armies with a lot of tanks.

I think balance is 40% units vs infantry, 40 % vs vehicles and 20 % for scoring.  

Right now the list is extremely anti-infantry, something I am trying to remedy. I am going to be facing a lot of primaris in his army, especially hell blasters (target priority 1 right there). I also found out that he finished a LRC earlier this week; and true to a DA's nature, he is keeping silent on if he is bringing it. This is forcing me to look at redoing my list a bit. On the plus side, this guy is selling me his entire BT army and is bringing it all with him to turn over this weekend. I am going to work on incorporating some of the better units into my list to provide for a better chance on dropping those two wound units and any vehicles he brings.

For what I have at the moment, I was thinking of dropping the HB and putting my multi-melta in that squad and then dropping the Predator and Neophytes to open up points for a standard terminator squad.

Thoughts?

I am actually just referencing the army of the guy I am playing against at the moment. He is giving me the crash course in game play and runs DAs. Fluff can change (don't we all know it) and I might just retcon my own in the future. I am just not experienced enough to add the kind of padding to my reports to represent a true heretical army in my fluff. As I said, RETCON!

They can be sneaky fellas. I really liked your prelude; makes me want to start writing and actually post my own crusade thread (need a good name). Good luck against those primaris plasma; especially now that they have grim resolve and/or the  Weapons of the Dark Ages stratagem. I can't give any advice re: HB vs MM but probably suggest as much cover/protection for your bodies. Rhino rush with smoke to get into charge range, maybe?

I learned the game with DA against my friend's T'au in 7th, and it was a nightmare trying to figure out tactical positioning while being outranged every. single. game. Probably why I sold those and started a Crusade- got too zealous for simple long-range shooting matches. Think he may bring some Ravenwing? The Plasma Talons will be killer if you don't block access to your vehicles.

Archived