Eisen Speer Crusade - Castellan and a Tie

Hawklynn

So I am trying to make a 500pt list and cannot seem to avoid high PLs (at least from what I have read).

These are what I got:

++ Patrol Detachment (Imperium - Space Marines) [29 PL, 434pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Black Templars

+ HQ +

Chaplain [5 PL, 72pts]: Bolt pistol

+ Troops +

Crusader Squad [9 PL, 118pts]

. 4x Initiate

. Initiate w/Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter

. Initiate w/Special Weapon: Plasma gun

. Sword Brother: Bolt pistol, Power sword

Crusader Squad [9 PL, 141pts]

. 6x Initiate w/Chainsword

. Initiate w/Special Weapon: Flamer

. Sword Brother: Bolt pistol, Power axe

+ Fast Attack +

Assault Squad [6 PL, 103pts]: Jump Pack

. 2x Space Marine

. Space Marine Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Combat shield, Power axe

. Space Marine w/Special Weapon

. . Plasma Pistol & Chainsword: Plasma pistol

++ Total: [29 PL, 434pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

and this one:

++ Patrol Detachment (Imperium - Space Marines) [32 PL, 454pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

+ Troops +

Crusader Squad [9 PL, 105pts]

. 3x Initiate

Crusader Squad [9 PL, 121pts]

. 5x Initiate

. Initiate w/Heavy Weapon: Power sword

+ Dedicated Transport +

Razorback [5 PL, 82pts]: Twin heavy bolter

Rhino [4 PL, 74pts]: 2x Storm bolter

++ Total: [32 PL, 454pts] ++

Anyone have any suggestions on decreasing the PL and maximizing my points up to 500?

I would go with list 2, foot slogging across the board is not a good idea. Also the enemy will struggle to deal with 2 Armoured units :) 

If you're playing points, why do you need to worry about PL?

This will be my first game ever and unfortunately I have not been able to procure a rulebook. Most of what I go off of is based on what I read on the boards to learn how to try and get a good balance. I noticed on a few boards that there were discussions about PLs relation to points. If PLs are usually ignored for small, friendly(ish) games then that opens up a world of possibilities.

So I am trying to make a 500pt list and cannot seem to avoid high PLs (at least from what I have read).

These are what I got:

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

+ Troops +

. 4x Initiate

+ Fast Attack +

Assault Squad [6 PL, 103pts]: Jump Pack

. 2x Space Marine

. Space Marine Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Combat shield, Power axe

and this one:

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

+ Troops +

. 3x Initiate

. 5x Initiate

+ Dedicated Transport +

Razorback [5 PL, 82pts]: Twin heavy bolter

++ Total: [32 PL, 454pts] ++

Anyone have any suggestions on decreasing the PL and maximizing my points up to 500?

I would go with list 2, foot slogging across the board is not a good idea. Also the enemy will struggle to deal with 2 Armoured units :smile.:

That is what I was thinking, however, I have never been to the FLGS that I will be going to and am not familiar with the size of the tables. Either way, if I do not really have to worry about PLs then these lists are about to get a few more things added.

Also, when using any app (Battlescribe) make sure you are using the current and correct data pack or you might send a PM that makes you look like a schmuch you can't update his stuff like a smart person.

Aaaaaand, just found out my friend wants to do 2000 pts. This is gonna be fun.

I would 110% tell you not to play a 2000 point game as your very first game. There is far too much to keep track of in a game that size that you do not actually end up learning anything. If your friend is adamant about playing a 2000 point game make, I would suggest that you asked to play a 500-point game first. 500 point games can be over very quickly, and focusing on just a few units will really get you in the right mindset, help you understand the flow of the turns and the game, and get all of the little mistakes out of the way.

I've usually heard that PL are the 'easy quick army-build' for friendly play, but 500pts is also a good start. Like above, one or the other, not both. Points are critical, PL are loose with regards to wargear.

I do have a question on your Troops sections in both, though (see below):

( Much snipped)

+ Troops +

. 4x Initiate

(OR)

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

+ Troops +

. 3x Initiate

. 5x Initiate

For your Crusaders: Is that 4 initiates + the Heavy, Special, and SB; then 6 + the same (list 1)? Same in both lists? I'd say either cut them down to 5 man squads or fill them out to 10 for best use of your PL. If you wanna keep the max bodies on table, then maybe build 1x 5 man and 1x 10 man, or if you have the bodies, 3x 5 man with toys thrown in as desired. PL lends itself to fluffy, fun games.

That being said, I understand trying to balance both so you don't have to change your list, especially if you're constrained to a limited amount of models (same here). The other brethren probably have better tactical/listbuilding advice from experience, but thought I'd try and help a little.

For your Crusaders: Is that 4 initiates + the Heavy, Special, and SB; then 6 + the same (list 1)? Same in both lists? I'd say either cut them down to 5 man squads or fill them out to 10 for best use of your PL. If you wanna keep the max bodies on table, then maybe build 1x 5 man and 1x 10 man, or if you have the bodies, 3x 5 man with toys thrown in as desired. PL lends itself to fluffy, fun games.

That being said, I understand trying to balance both so you don't have to change your list, especially if you're constrained to a limited amount of models (same here). The other brethren probably have better tactical/listbuilding advice from experience, but thought I'd try and help a little.

The second list posted is actually the first one that I made with the intention of mounting the infantry in the vehicles. The other list with the assault marines was a variation on that with no updates to the original units.

I retooled the list (somewhat) yesterday and actually pulled out my models to actually see it on a table in front of me.

++ Patrol Detachment (Imperium - Space Marines) [32 PL, 492pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

+ Troops +

Crusader Squad [9 PL, 113pts]

. 3x Initiate

. Sword Brother: Plasma pistol, Power axe

Crusader Squad [9 PL, 145pts]

. Sword Brother: Chainsword, Combi-plasma

+ Dedicated Transport +

Razorback [5 PL, 88pts]: Hunter-killer missile, Twin heavy bolter

++ Total: [32 PL, 492pts] ++

A picture

I am also working on my 2000 pt list. It has me pulling out models that were not even on my to do list, but I can fill it out with my set up. I will post the list and a picture later tonight. I have to do some last minute fixes to my army for this, but it will be worth it I think.

I would put the Combi-plasma Sword Brethren with the shooty Crusaders and the Plasma pistol Sword Brethren with the choppy Crusaders to synergize the range of the squads weapons.

The Hunter-killer missile is a point waste imo if you are only bringing one. I think a Storm Bolter on the Razorback is a better choice. Or maybe give the Chaplain a Plasma pistol for some extra oomph.

I would put the Combi-plasma Sword Brethren with the shooty Crusaders and the Plasma pistol Sword Brethren with the choppy Crusaders to synergize the range of the squads weapons.

The Hunter-killer missile is a point waste imo if you are only bringing one. I think a Storm Bolter on the Razorback is a better choice. Or maybe give the Chaplain a Plasma pistol for some extra oomph.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will do that. Unfortunately, the chaplain's BP is not able to be changed out, although I might try to get him magnetized soon.

Your models look good.

Thank you. I really need to redo the tabards, or at least throw a wash on them. 

Brothers, my first game was tonight and the Emperor blessed me with VICTORY!

The battle was fought between my 500 pt Black Templars and 500 pt Heretical Primaris Dark Angels (is that redundant?) The best way to describe it is "slugfest."

Dark Angels

Chapter Master

Intercessor Squad A

Intercessor Squad B

Hell Blaster Squad

Black Templars

Chaplain

Choppy Crusader Squad
• 6 initiates w/ Bolt Pistols & Chain Swords
• Initiate w/ Bolt Pistol & Power Sword
• Initiate w/ Flamer
SB w/ Plasma Pistol & Power Axe

Shooty Crusader Squad
• 3 initiates w/ bolters
• Initiate w/ Heavy Bolter
• Initiate w/ Plasma Gun
SB w/ Combi-Plasma & Chain Sword

Rhino
• Stormbolter x2

Razorback
• Stormbolter x2
• Twin Linked Heavy Bolter

Dark Angels deploy in firing line at max distance from edge.
Black Templars deploy embarked with choppy squad and Chaplain on the Rhino and Shooty Squad on the Razorback.

Dark Angels Take Initiative
DA Turn 1
• All units move up.
• Intercessor Squad B (ISB) fires into the rhino dealing one wound.

BT Turn 1
• Rhino and Razorback move up.
• Rhino fires into ISB but deals zero wounds. Same with Razorback.

DA Turn 2
• Chapter Master, Intercessor Squad A (ISA), and Hellblasters move up.
• ISB fires at Rhino dealing one wound.

BT Turn 2
• All infantry debark transports and move up. All units move up.
• Choppy squad fires into ISB dealing one wound. Flamer brings one down. Shooty squad fires into ISB but fails to deliver. Rhino and razorback both fire into ISB killing two more. Choppy squad fails its charge (Really guys? First time out the hatch?).

DA Turn 3
• All units move up.
• ISA, ISB, and Chapter Master all fire at Shooty Squad but fail to wound. Hellblasters fire into choppy squad dealing one wound, the flamer.

BT Turn 3
• All units move up.
• Choppy squad fires into ISB for no wounds. Shooty squad fires into ISA dealing one wound. Rhino fires into ISB for nothing. Razorback fires into ISA for nothing as well (what am I paying these guys for?).
• Choppy Marines make their charge into ISB after losing one to overwatch. Combat resolved with one DA death.

DA Turn 4
• ISB Falls Back. All other units move up.
• Chapter Master, ISA and Hellblasters all fire into Choppy Squad dropping three (bob and weave guys, we practiced this).
• Chapter Master charges my Chaplain and ISA charges Choppy Squad (I forgot to overwatch, both of them). Chapter Master wiffs against my Chaplain. ISA, however, makes minced meat out of the remains of Choppy Squad except the Sword Brother (bobbing and weaving).

BT Turn 4
• Sword Brother and Chaplain fall back. Razorback and Shooty Squad move up.
• Rhino fires into ISA killing one. Razorback splits fire on ISA with Stormbolters and Hellblasters with TLHB killing one ISA and wounding one Hellblaster. Shooty Squad opens up on the Hellblasters with the HB killing one and the bolters wounding another. Neither plasma gun has managed to even wound at this point.

DA Turn 5
• All units move up.
• ISA and ISB fire at Sword Brother but fail to wound. Chapter Master fires at Chaplain dealing one wound. Hellblasters fire at Shooty Squad for zero wounds.
• Chapter Master charges Chaplain and ISA charges Sword Brother. Sword Brother falls failing one out of four saves and thus eliminating Choppy Squad.

BT Turn 5
• No one moves
• Rhino fires at ISB for no reason, apparently. Razorback splits fire again at ISB and Hellblasters killing an Intercessor and wounding a Hellblaster.
• Chaplain on Chapter Master wiff-fest.

DA Turn 6 (This ain’t over yet?)
• ISA fires at Rhino for two wounds. Hellblasters fire at Shooty Squad killing four, including Mr. Heavy Bolter.
• Chapter Master finally finishes off my Chaplain.

BT Turn 6 (When is dinner?)
• Shooty Squad moves to a better position.
• Shooty Squad fires at Chapter Master killing him (finally the Plasma Guns do something). Rhino and Razorback waste ammunition.

DA Turn 7 (Cliff Notes Edition)
• Hellblasters move, everyone shoots, no wounds

BT Turn 7
• Razorback fires at Hellblasters dealing one wound. Shooty Squad eats crayons and Rhino crew were on a coffee break.

DA Turn 8
• ISA moves up, shoots at Shooty Squad killing one and leaving the Sword Brother as the last infantry model standing. Hellblasters deal one wound to Rhino.

BT Turn 8
• Razorback kills one Hellblaster. More crayons and coffee consumed.

DA Turn 9 (Okay, seriously? Where is Hicks with a nuke, just to be sure?)
• Hellblasters wound Rhino. ISA charges and kills Sword Brother.

BT Turn 9
• Rhino finishes off Hellblaster Squad and Razoback drops an Intercessor

I stopped keeping notes at this point. He end up with one Intercessor left that charged my Rhino and got it down to one wound. My rhino quickly fell back and the Razorback poured all its Dakka in killing the Intercessor.

We did not do morale checks this game. I am pretty sure that if we had I would have lost more sooner and probably the game. I need to remember to overwatch charges and there were a few times I forgot to fire a weapon or two. Also, I really need to remember that Chaplain lets you re-roll missed hits in the Fight Phase.

I deployed my army close together, but I think that had I split it I would have done better and been able to use more of the table.

All in all it was a good, hard won game with a lot of pauses for old friends to catch up.

My dice failed me a lot tonight, especially with the plasma guns. I will toss that up to the dice being conditioned for rolling for games of AD&D and not WH40K. New dice purchased after the game, they will not be in the same dice bag.

IMPERATOR VULT!

A friend of mine is downsizing his collect and I am thinking about purchasing his BT army. I have looked up the GW website price for what he has and am wondering what a good price, that is not almost $600, would be for the following (majority of models are at least black with white pauldrons):

1 captain in terminator armor

1 captain/emperor's champion

1 captain in primaris armor

1 primaris chaplain

2 tactical squads with flamer and missile launcher

1 squad of terminators with cyclone missile launcher

1 centurion devastator squad

1 lascannon predator

1 10 man assault marine squad

1 squad of primaris inceptors

1 venerable dreadnaught with lascannon

All weapons systems are attached to their units permanently.

Used models tend to go for about 50% MSRP give or take

He got back to me with an asking price of $200 which seems pretty fair to me. He is also willing to let me purchase in increments so as not to break the bank.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently won a bid for an OOP SM chaplain on the Ebays which should be arriving today, hopefully. It is the same chaplain model that I already have in my army. The goal is to paint him up and see where my skill level is at. The chaplain that I already own was one of the first miniature models that I ever painted (with the exception of the backpack) and I am really excited to see how a side by side comparison turns out. I want to magnetize the left arm and give this new a base that actually looks good.

***Well, would you look at that. Slow day at work and the writing bug strikes. TIME FOR THE FLUFF!**

Marshal Otto II stood on the command of the strike cruiser Goeben surveying his small detachment of three ships. The marines of the Eisen Speer crusade had completed their first work-up to their full deployment. It had not gone as smoothly as the marshal would have liked. While his marines had managed to seize the victory it had been achieved by their transports. True, their “foes” were some of the new primaris marines from the Dark Angels, but his marines were not new. Every member of the crusade was a battle brother, no neophytes, yet. This should not have happened.

Chaplain Bernold stood behind watching his marshal. The man had been silent for a long time. Bernold was himself shamed by his own lack luster performance. He had underestimated the primaris marines, a mistake he would not make again. His shame with his performance was compounded with that shame coming with his first battle command.

“How fairs our new standard bearer, Brother Engel? And how about our champion, Brother Berger,” Marshal Otto II asked without turning around. He was relaxed, Bernold saw that now. The admonishments and punishments had been handed out and, at least to the marshal, the matter was now considered closed.

“They both fair well,” the chaplain responded. “Brother Engel was challenged at first. It is no small feat to go from fighting with a chain sword and bolt pistol in the thick of the heaviest fighting on a battlefield to having to hang back a little with a banner and bolt gun. He is an excellent marksman, though.”

“As to Brother Berger, well,” the Bernold laughed to himself, “I have rarely seen his match in zeal. He will be a valuable asset on the field. I just wish we could get him to put down the shield and pick up another sword. I think he likes to punch his enemies in the face with it.”

The marshal laughed at that. His laugh was deep and throaty, a sound that was rarely heard from the man.

“I saw the vid of his and Brother Fuchs’ sparring. Fuchs’ nose should heal fine.”

He turned around and fixed his gaze on Chaplain Bernold. The Astartes was younger than him and full of love for his emperor. A might excitable and rash, if he could manage to temper his thoughts just a bit he would make a very vital asset to the Eisen Speer Crusade. Half the chaplain’s face was missing, the skull replace with metal and the eye with a targeting reticule. He had learned a hard lesson in fighting tyranids on that day. He was lucky to still be alive. At least he was able to learn from his mistakes and not make the same ones twice. He had much promise. Unbeknownst to Bernold, he had actually been assigned to this post by the hero of Helsreach himself. Apparently, someone else saw promise in him as well.

“I received a transmission earlier. A third light cruiser will be joining us and she is bringing a small contingent of Brothers with her. There are ten Sword Brothers with the contingent. I would like for you to go over their recorders and suggest two for promotion to Castellan. There will also be the matter of filling those two spaces with new Sword Brothers. Please ensure that this is done as well.”

“Yes, sir.” Bernold turned and prepared to leave the bridge. His mind was already racing with the names of those currently in the crusade whose time in and deeds might warrant an elevation in rank.

“Oh, and Bernold, the ship arrives in two cycles' time. I expect answers by then. We will be jumping out of the system once the transfer of personnel is complete.”

“Yes, sir.”

With that the chaplain strode from the bridge of the ship. Marshal Otto II turned back to staring out into the void before him. His marines would be ready. They had to be. There was too much riding on this crusade being a success. The information of the ship and marines that would be joining them had almost enraged the commander. He had been ready to leave. All the forces that were still planet side would be back aboard the Goeben before the planet completed its next cycle.

They would be ready, or, they would be dead.

Managed to get a small amount of painting done this weekend.

Terminator Sergeant (the rest of the squad is done except basing but the pics were blurry)

Terminator Sergeant 1

Terminator Sergeant 2

Terminator Sergeant 3

Sword Brother (just needs the head and basing)

Sword Brother 1

Sword Brother 2

Marshal's face painted

Marshal Face

Company Ancient face painted

Company Ancient Face

Neophyte face, weapon and arms

Neophyte Face and Weapon

Neophyte Weapon Arm

I am especially pleased with the neophyte's shotgun and the marshal's face.

All metallic painted has been suspended until I get new paint brushes for just metallic paints. The ones that I have, especially the detail brushes, are completely shot and most of the brush tips are curled. A might frustrating, but what can you do (other than treat your brushes with respect).

Since I am going to be spending a good portion of the weekend working on my personal vehicle I am going to try to get some painting in tonight and tomorrow. I had wanted to go to a local doubles tourney to watch, but alas, responsibility and the need to be able to get to work puts the Black Sword through the heart of that idea (but with ZEAL!).

To be worked on:

Finish painting Marshal

Finish painting Chapter Ancient

Finish Neophyte

Work on Company Ancient banner

Begin putting paint to EC

Work on Techmarine

Work on Servitor

Work on Dreadnaught #2 (I will eventually get this guy magnetized for different loadouts)

Finish Crusader Helm head

Finish white helmets and bald heads (six helmets and three baldies)

I have another sword brother that I have the legs, torso, backpack, and lightning claw painted. However, I have many parts that are not even primed yet and I only have white primer for my oldest's model car that we will be starting on soon. I think I might just suffer through having to paint the black over white, although this time I will throw down some medium grey and pray for less black flaking off. I also have another Marshal whose torso is painted (just a little more work needed on the cape) that I plan to equip with either a Combi-melta or stormbolter and a relic blade.

Once this is all completed I will be painting up some scout snipers in Crimson Fist colors (possibly to sell). Unfortunately, this will be because I need to get a lot of bits. I need roughly twelve pairs of legs, backpacks, and shoulder pads. I would say "Go, go, Ebay-fu!," but my wallet just coughed out a moth, gave me the evil eye, and knocked my coffee mug off the desk.

I do know that I will be getting the shoulder pads from Plokoon's online store. Everything else will probably be Ebayed. 

Until next time!

IMPERATOR VULT!

Archived