Eisen Speer Crusade - Castellan and a Tie

Hawklynn

Brothers, I have an embarrassing confession to make. I have had my BT army for over a decade now and I have never played it. I originally started collecting and painting for the mere hobby. Now, however, I am wanting to take them into battle.

I pulled the army out of storage recently, where they had been stored for about three years, and immediately found that several models needed to be repaired and/or repainted. A few models have already been cleaned and re-primered.

I also need to add more variety in the fire power department. I have four melta guns, three plasma guns, a flamer and combi-melta/bolter that are primed and ready for paint.

No name for the crusade yet or personal fluff, but those should be coming soon. 

36957147292_448b845585_z.jpg
37128110815_689f209332_z.jpg
36957147192_ebae364e81_z.jpg
37128110055_3e4eb3f814_z.jpg
36957146642_a192fc3106_z.jpg
37128109525_cd6c74a1a7_z.jpg
36957147232_c60d625e8c_z.jpg
36292022924_b82330a0a1_z.jpg
37128109275_c3e72a04e5_z.jpg
37128109045_5084073dac_z.jpg
36292022124_c96f9b008d_z.jpg
37128108865_8c9c1e9866_z.jpg
36957145862_6d56a5c0d1_z.jpg

Welcome brother! I too have recently pulled my templars from storage so i know the pains of repair and repainting an army, thankfully my models were in storage containers so most are in good condition but some still need fixing up.

Good luck brother, may zeal fill your limbs with power!

Currently, I do not have a list of how the squads are arranged, except my command squad. I am going to wait to figure that all out until I have a better variety of weaponry and the 8th Ed. rulebook and codex.

Well 8th ed really changed the structure of armies now, sm command squads are gone, now replaced by individual heroes (apothecary, ancient, champion, ect.) And company vets. That said with the newer structure of force orginization, if you wanna make a "command squad" you just take the elites detachment (spearhead?) And pack them all in there.

Either way, i would definitely pick up the codex and rulebook before you do anything else! Good luck marshal, may the emperor protect

Welcome back Brother, it is good to see another Texan Templar!

You have returned at a most fortuitous time. The Emperor needs every sword he can muster.

IMPERATOR VULT!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to messing with Crusade Badges.  I have four that I have created but am unsure of which one to use. The yellow (will have more orange in it on the models) is to represent the Marshal of the Crusade himself and goes with the fluff that I am creating (basing a lot of of Emperor Otto II of the Holy Roman Empire).

I like the first version the best so far. It would also be interesting to see a vertical oriented cross "+" as an alternative.

So, would the circle in the middle have different colors for different units or would all units have the gold/orange/yellow dot?

I looked up my source material and the flag of the Holy Roman Empire was a marigold field emblazoned with a two headed eagle. I am wanting to use that color for the dot as of now. I have acquired the new books but need to get an app that will allow me to read them (stupid .epub) so that I can properly arrange my units. I am trying to not step on the toes of others who have customized crusades and badges.

I will denote different units through banner, eyes (for those with helmets) and non-templar accessories colors.

Here is the vertical cross orientation.

A good name. There's a few of us who have been coming out of hibernation. I also started back into the hobby last year and it's been a rewarding experience, especially with 8th edition.

The Great Rift has called us all to action, now get out there and purge some rogue psykers. 

I plan to. I just need to get the new rules set and codex books. I have a friend and her husband willing to teach me the new rules set, but one of them is dedicated to Nurgle and the other to Gork and Mork. I will have a lot of purging to do. Thankfully, I have more plasmaguns, meltaguns, and flamers ready to be painted and attached to models.

I plan to. I just need to get the new rules set and codex books. I have a friend and her husband willing to teach me the new rules set, but one of them is dedicated to Nurgle and the other to Gork and Mork. I will have a lot of purging to do. Thankfully, I have more plasmaguns, meltaguns, and flamers ready to be painted and attached to models.

If you played in any previous editions then the rules havent changed too much. As one if my friends said though 8th edition is the edition of "yes and..." whereas 7th was "yes but..."

Also plasma guns are amazing vs infantry and meltas cant be beat against big multi wound models like vehicles. Flamers are kinda weird, they are great against anything that makes it harder to hit them (since they still auto hit) but the random d6 attacks can get a bit wonky. One game i had the same flamer roll all 6s then the next all 1s.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a good bit of painting done this weekend on an old OOP metal assault squad. Painting black armor over a white primer is the pits and super annoying at times, especially when the paint chips off. My only two hold outs for being able to finish are that 1) I am still waiting on my new red and yellow paints to arrive and 2) I need to get the jumps packs cleaned up a bit more. Simple Green did not get all the paint off and a lot of detail in the jump packs is covered, it is . . . frustrating.

While I was waiting on paint to dry on the AS I decided to play around with my new flesh tones set and work on some heads. As I do not have a nice hand drill I had to heat up and insert a nail into the bottoms of the heads and then prime them, in white. :furious: A few tests on heads later and I have five decent looking heads and two that look like they are about to blow a gasket thanks to the shade of VMC's brown rose. It is actually kind of humorous. 

Last night I also did a quick speed paint of my terminator's armor to finish getting all of it black.

No pictures of the progress made at the moment, but I will be taking/posting them when I get home tonight.

I am currently stressing about the final part of the process, basing. I have several ideas that I want to do and none of them go along with how my army is currently based (I am wanting to redo the whole army basing, though). The two ideas that are winning out so far are Industrial facility steel floors and a winter theme.

Oh yeah, and add highlighting to that as well. I have never even attempted it and plan to start doing so.

Bah, why is it not quitting time, yet? Why do I not have more coffee? And where the heck are my pants?

:Elite: :Elite: :Elite:

Also, I hate painting NNM.

Aaaand here we go . . . 

Assault Squad Front.

Assault Squad Front

Assault Squad Back

Assault Squad Back

Sergeant 

Assault Squad Sgt.

Skin tone practice. The final head is from an old WHF halberd infantry set. I am not sure if I will use it on an initiate or neophyte yet, though.

Initiate Sgt w/ face WiP

Standard Bearer w/ face WiP

Random Head with blood spatter

Head Test

WHF head for Neophytes

The coloration of the eyes, seals, and pouches is a test run for identifying squads easily. Even their banners will have the squad color somewhere on them. I need to do some clean up, especially on the black, washes, and work on the heads a bit more.

I also need to work on some better lighting for taking pictures.

I got some more work done on the assault squad, the marshal, and the techmarine this weekend.

Assault squad's pauldrons now have their red trim and red has been added to a few of the assault marines for some minor flair. I did manage to find some old CC arm bits in a box that were already 95% painted (black arms and red weapons) that were supposed to go to a BA Death Company a number of years ago and never did. I finished the last 5% of painting on these parts. I have one more set of arms and a flamer to paint up and need to clean up the white on the pauldrons and add the transfers. The only real hang-up in getting this squad completed is the jump packs. There is some old paint that has covered a lot of detail on them that I am having a nightmare of a time getting off. I need either a hard bristle toothbrush or a brass wire brush and I should be good. I hope to pick one up this week.

Assault Squad (3)

Assault Squad (2)

Assault Squad Sgt

Assault Squad Pauldrons

Assault Squad arms and weapons

The marshal just had the last of the black for his armor painted and that is really it. He does look a lot better now. Need one more coat of black for the whole model and then I can start on everything else.

Marshall black armor

Marshall Black Armor #2

The techmarine only received his initial base coat of red over a white primer.

Techmarine Beginning

I also managed to get some standard initiate pauldrons painted up and worked on arranging bits for future marine builds. Three CC initiates that I am waiting on the legs for. Primed some meltaguns and plasma guns and selected some incomplete initiate models that need to have the details painted.

I also decided to try and turn two standard SM models into SB models using a lot of bits off of the BT upgrade sprues. They will  basically be newly promoted SB for who capes and tabards were not available.

EC is finally on the docket to get his paint job as well.

Final "big project" is a marshal that I am waiting on legs for to begin to get him finalized.

And I played around with Battlescribe a bit. I think I might have a decent force to reckon with. I just need time to get some games under my belt. 

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, not a whole lot was done this month. RL obligations kept me super busy (stupid inventory at work) and I am still not done with the :censored: assault marines. All that is left to do, however, is get some metallic paint on the jump packs, glue, base and seal them. 

Sealing will be easy as I am just going to use static grass, flock, and green granules. Quick and easy (and I am tired of looking at the models.

I did get some running legs from ebay, have already decided the models to build with them, and have begun prepping for when I finish what I am currently working on.

Overall, the most I got done for the hobby this month was to go through all my bits and find out what I can build more infantry with and what I need. Legs, I need a lot of legs. Also, devastator weapons. One each of a lascannon, heavy bolter, and multimelta is nowhere near enough.

Picking up primer, glue, and a few other odds and ins on payday, hopefully.

Finally!!! My assault squad is painted up to a standard that I am okay with to get it on the table. I have a few final touches to finish, but for the most part, it is done. I need to touch up some spots where the black chipped off, finish painting up the weapons for the non-CC marine (he is going to have three weapons for change out),  base the buggers to fully finish them off. I am thinking of trying to run them as anti-armor, or at least an armor harassing squad.

The Sgt. just needs a little bit of touch up on the black and to be based.

Assault Squad Sgt

This guy will be able to switch between a plasma gun (shown), meltagun, and flamer to fit the scenario

Assault Squad Marine

The full squad almost ready to go

Assault Squad

I got this bit of cloth (and two matching pieces) this weekend on a jar of salsa. I am going to be using it to create custom squad and crusade banners. This has me really excited.

Banner Material

I also managed to get the running legs based and primed last night for three standard marines that will have cc power weapons and bolt pistols (sorry no pics). Once I get some detail on the legs I will attach the torsos, arms, and pauldrons. The heads are skins, so I am working on getting those painted.

After I finish that group of three I have four initiates that will receive two plasma guns and two meltaguns. I looked at my army a while back and realized that I did not have enough CC marines or higher damage dealing weapons and it is time to get that rectified.

Work on the Marshal, Company Champion, and Techmarine continues at a glacial pace here and there.

Hopefully I can play a game in the next few weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

Got some work done on a few initiates over the last couple of weeks.

Three initiates with power weapons and bolt pistols: two power swords and one power axe

Two initiates with meltaguns, two with plasma guns (one not pictured) and an initiate with a chainsword and bolt pistol.

I have a squad of terminators that is almost finished (by this weekend hopefully) and a marshal and company ancient that are almost done as well.

I ALSO HAVE MY FIRST GAME THIS WEEKEND!!! We will probably start at 500 points as I am trying to learn, but, we should be able to go up to around 2k, no problem if I get the termies finished.

Pics of the terminators, marshal, and company ancient coming soon (like, when I manage to get the kids in bed, so maybe never).

Here is my almost complete termie squad. I just want to get them painted to table top quality.

Next up is my Marshal. I am not sure exactly which ranged weapon I am going to give him.

Finally, the Company Ancient. Depending on how I do on the rest of the paint job, he might be promoted to Chapter Ancient for my crusade as I already have one that is ready-ish to go now.

Also, I cannot seem to get the pictures to show up in the spoiler tags, just the links. How do I fix this.

I am watching battle reports on youtube to get an understand of how the Dark Angels operate.

So I am trying to make a 500pt list and cannot seem to avoid high PLs (at least from what I have read).

These are what I got:

++ Patrol Detachment (Imperium - Space Marines) [29 PL, 434pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Black Templars

+ HQ +

Chaplain [5 PL, 72pts]: Bolt pistol

+ Troops +

Crusader Squad [9 PL, 118pts]
. 4x Initiate
. Initiate w/Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter
. Initiate w/Special Weapon: Plasma gun
. Sword Brother: Bolt pistol, Power sword

Crusader Squad [9 PL, 141pts]
. 6x Initiate w/Chainsword
. Initiate w/Special Weapon: Flamer
. Sword Brother: Bolt pistol, Power axe

+ Fast Attack +

Assault Squad [6 PL, 103pts]: Jump Pack
. 2x Space Marine
. Space Marine Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Combat shield, Power axe
. Space Marine w/Special Weapon
. . Plasma Pistol & Chainsword: Plasma pistol
. Space Marine w/Special Weapon
. . Plasma Pistol & Chainsword: Plasma pistol

++ Total: [29 PL, 434pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

and this one:

++ Patrol Detachment (Imperium - Space Marines) [32 PL, 454pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Black Templars

+ HQ +

Chaplain [5 PL, 72pts]: Bolt pistol

+ Troops +

Crusader Squad [9 PL, 105pts]
. 3x Initiate
. Initiate w/Special Weapon: Plasma gun

Crusader Squad [9 PL, 121pts]
. 5x Initiate
. Initiate w/Heavy Weapon: Power sword
. Initiate w/Special Weapon: Flamer

+ Dedicated Transport +

Razorback [5 PL, 82pts]: Twin heavy bolter

Rhino [4 PL, 74pts]: 2x Storm bolter

++ Total: [32 PL, 454pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Anyone have any suggestions on decreasing the PL and maximizing my points up to 500?

Archived