Last week I took my Deathguard to A Gathering of Might XXII in Kendal, Cumbria for what will probably be my last tournament outing with my 2000 point list.

Game 1 I got hold of the majority of the objectives after killing 12 Custodes Jetbikes and took half the wounds off a Castellan Knight but got no pics.

gallery_85153_13688_1163689.png

Deployment vs Prophets of the Flesh

gallery_85153_13688_351153.png

Turn 2 vs Prophets of the flesh

I managed to kill one whole unit of Talos before getting tabled.

gallery_85153_13688_1276019.png

End of my turn 1 vs Iron warriors, Scorched earth

The Brass Scorpion and Kytan each managed to kill a single plague marine on the charge. The Scorpion did kill a plague caster and a bunch of marines and terminators on the explosion though.

gallery_85153_13688_1388912.png

Iron warriors assault phase turn 3

gallery_85153_13688_983576.png

The last member of a Blightlord squad dies to a plasma pistol on overwatch.

I tabled him, but not before his autocannon havoks killed the other terminator unit.

gallery_85153_13688_1610008.png

Roving Patrol vs House Mortan, turn 2 after Mortarion died turn 1, turn 3 I was tabled

gallery_85153_13688_397455.png

Ascendancy vs Mephrit, end of my turn 2 after Mortarion hacked 6 destroyers apart

i ended up 9th place out of 28 and the second highest chaos player after the third place cultists and Abaddon list. The Haemonculus list one first place while most of the top 10 were knight armies. No craftworlds lists were present.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

Using a Dark Imperium mini to test whether or not I can be bothered to do a true scale alpha legion kill team:

gallery_85153_14803_1046486.png

Limited access to high quality helmetless heads with that sickly chaos feel will be a problem. I plan on using multipart Reivers if I do a full team.

Oh yeah! I definitely think you should good this route. How do you feel about it? I love the size of these guys now but my main issue is trying to chaosify them.

I also love the battle reports! If you get more keep them coming!

I've held off trying to chaosify (I don't care what the OED thinks, that's DEFINITELY a word) some of the intercessors I got out of curiosity. Would like to see what you make of some reivers.

That is a mighty collection! And that not everything!?

And going to get some guitar wire and 1mm microbeads for the AL? You may be on to something there. I wonder if you can do an 'X' harness like mk4/mk5 or a 'Y' like mk6 with wire to change up that front chest plate. I've been scratching my head about it and you've given me an idea. 

• 2 weeks later...

NICE! The wire and the beads add a great baroque feel to the armor!

I may have to check out using some of those DG torso too. I just made a few primaris true-scale guys and used trimmed down mk3 and added it to the primaris chest (where I trimmed down quite a bit of the detail). Those DG torsos look comparable in size to a primaris.

• 4 weeks later...

Heading off to the Warhammer World GT heat 2 with this list:

Army Faction: Death Guard Command Points 8

Battalion Detachment – Keyword: Death Guard, 5 command points, 1277 points, 71 power

Giles Bitterheart

HQ: Chaos Lord (74) Combi Melta (19) Balesword (6) = 99 points, 5 power

Erwin Gallspew

HQ: Malignant Plague Caster =110 points, 6 power

blades of putrefaction, gift of contagion

Troop: Plague Marine Squad 4x Plague Marines 1x Plague Champion (5x17) 3 plasma guns (13*3), power fist (12) = 136 points, 7 power

Troop: Plague Marine Squad 6x Plague Marines 1x Plague Champion (7x17) 2 melta guns (17x2) 2 pairs of plague knives, 2 flails of corruption (10x2), power fist (12), plague sword (1) = 186 points, 10 power

Troop: Plague Marine Squad 4x Plague Marines 1x Plague Champion (5x17) plasma gun (13) 2 blight launchers (10x2) = 118 points, 7 power

Dedicated Transport: Rhino (70) havok launcher (11) 2 combi bolters (2x2) = 85 points, 4 power

Dedicated Transport: Rhino (70) havok launcher (11) 2 combi bolters (2x2) = 85 points, 4 power

Elite: Blightlord Terminator Squad 4x Blightlord Terminators 1x Blightlord Champion (38x5) 1 plague spewer (19) 1 flail of corruption (10) 4 combi-bolters (2x4) 1 balesword (6) 3 bubotic axes (3x5) = 229 points, 14 power

Elite: Blightlord Terminator Squad 4x Blightlord Terminators 1x Blightlord Champion (38x5) 1 plague spewer (19) 1 flail of corruption (10) 3 combi-bolters (2x4) 1 balesword (6) 3 bubotic axes (3x5) = 229 points, 14 power

Super Heavy Auxiliary detachment, 470 points, 24 power, 0 command points

Lord of War: Mortarion = 470 points, 24 power, WARLORD

miasma of pestilence, curse of the leper, putrescent vitality

Totals = 1747/1750 points, 95 power

I know it won't be competitive but I know how to use it which is more important and I've only got to maintain a 3/2 win loss ratio.

Back from Nottingham.

Game 1 I got obliterated by Cadians. By the end of his turn 3 I just had Giles the chaos lord and 2 units of terminators still in deep strike, somehow at the end of turn 5 the game ended with one unit of terminators left.

Game 2 I fought 3 renegade knights and magnus. Mortarion got a first turn charge off against a gallant but kept rolling 1s for damage. Magnus shut down my spells and I got wiped out. I did manage to take out 2 knights which is a lot better than I fared against loyalist knights, in many ways renegade knights are just index knights. Magnus I just can't deal with and was the real problem.

Then I remembered to take pics.

gallery_85153_13688_88110.png

gallery_85153_13688_271949.png

Game 3 was against a best army nominee Custodes player. One of his models also won a painting competition category.

He got the first turn and threw forwards his Telemon. He destroyed my assault plague marine unit's rhino, but got taken out by Mortarion.

He conceded on turn 4 after taking out my shooty plague marine and losing most of his army charging at Mortarion who was still on 4 wounds. Mortarion's scythe only managed to kill about one shield Custode a round but mortal wounds from his aura and blades of putrifaction on the melee plague marines. Had the game continued I would have smited everything but his characters off the board.

Game 4 vs a tyranid monster list, ascendancy mission.

gallery_85153_13688_864052.png

gallery_85153_13688_98275.png

Turn 1 I went first and got all three objectives but foolishly got Mortarion killed by Hive Guard and all his 50 odd devourer shots after he blocked miasma with his kronus stratagem.

gallery_85153_13688_1041969.png

My chance to come back was ruined when my assault plague marines failed a charge (rolling a one on the reroll) against some carnifexes and on his turn lost 6 members to his warlord Hive tyrant's devourers. I manged to kill one winged Hive Tyrant with my shooty plague marine squads but they got battered to bits by his hive guard. My terminators also failed to finish any monsters in combat but somehow a rhino's stormbolter managed to take out the last 2 wounds on his warlord.

By turn 5 I was far ahead on points thanks to having ran my lord onto an objective on turn 1 but only had Erwin the plague caster and said Lord left with several monsters closing in around them. This did not last and I was tabled.

gallery_85153_13688_55143.png

Game 5 vs Ultramarines, dominate and destroy mission.

With only 1 win so far I was down at the bottom of the tournie and had a very weak opponent, so I just had a relaxed game.

gallery_85153_13688_1314845.png

Turn 1 Mortarion killed a lascannon razorback on the charge. He hovered around the middle of the board taking a few wounds off the land raider and chasing a biker captain. My terminators dropped down turn 2 and then ended up spending far too long trying to climb up onto some objectives, so Giles Bitterheart the Chaos Lord had to run over from another objective he had just cleared of some scouts.

I had only spent a handful of command points, so I decided to fulfill my ambition of using the chaos boon stratagem in a tournament.

gallery_85153_13688_1365680.png

This gave me control of all six objectives, but he still had his biker captain, Cronus' land raider and a unit of terminators left. Rolling a 7 on the boon table I could choose anything, so I went for 'eye stalks' to bring Giles' combi-melta up to range 18". He was then able to run over within 9" of the land raider and blow it up and roll again on the boon table, getting some -1 to hit stench power.

Game ended on turn 5 before I could kill Cronus and the terminators who had retaken the central objective after killing Erwin. I had like 30+ points compared to his 10 or so.

• 2 months later...

gallery_85153_15070_183775.png

Built a unit of metal Flesh Hounds I got off ebay so I could have model variety with the new plastic ones. They were a pain and I'm glad I'm not going to have to deal with any more. Now I just need to work out how to base them. I had a Chaos Spawn who never got based due to Sector Imperialis bases not coming in 50mm so I used him to try out some molded plasticard.

gallery_85153_15070_319232.png

I had three spare oval sector imperialis bases but they're too expensive to put a whole detachment of flesh hounds on so I'm testing out an idea to potentially use on the plastic ones. The idea is that the industrial flooring will be cracked and holes into khorne's realm will be coming up from below.

My Chaos Lord had an Astrogranite base like my Death Guard because I had to rush finish him for a warhammer world campaign day. With the chaos spawn looking alright I went ahead and started making him fit in with his warband more.

gallery_85153_13735_156518.png

Now I just need to transition properly between the industrial plating and the chaos themed rockface he's standing on. I also still plan on giving him some kind of familiar carrying his combi melta.

gallery_85153_13735_186811.png

gallery_85153_15070_116035.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Noise Marine looks great! Did a specific musician inspire his armor's color scheme and decorations?

Nah he's just in black legion colours with some pink for Slaanesh. I added blue because I wanted blue flames on the guitar to be different.

The plume is just the brighter colours I had on my desk.