Didn't get a chance to get a good pic of my tournament army before heading off to Derby for Blood and Glory and I've fallen ill on returning so it will be a while.

I ended up around 58th of just under 80 players after only winning 2/5 games.

Army Faction: Death Guard Command Points 6

Battalion Detachment – Keyword: Death Guard

Giles Bitterheart

HQ: Chaos Lord (74) Combi Melta (19) Balesword (6) = 99 points

Erwin Gallspew

HQ: Malignant Plague Caster; Gift of Contagion, Blades of Putrefaction =110 points

Troop: Plague Marine Squad 6x Plague Marines 1x Plague Champion (7x19) 3 plasma guns (13*3), power fist (12) = 184 points

Troop: Plague Marine Squad 6x Plague Marines 1x Plague Champion (7x19) 2 plague spewers (19x2) icon of despair (10) 2 pairs of plague knives, 2 flails of corruption (10x2), power fist (12), plague sword (1) = 214 points

Troop: Plague Marine Squad 6x Plague Marines 1x Plague Champion (7x19) plasma gun (13) 2 blight launchers (14x2) = 174 points

Dedicated Transport: Rhino (70) havok launcher (11) 2 combi bolters (2x2) = 85 points

Dedicated Transport: Rhino (70) havok launcher (11) 2 combi bolters (2x2) = 85 points

Elite: Blightlord Terminator Squad 4x Blightlord Terminators 1x Blightlord Champion (38x5) 1 plague spewer (19) 1 flail of corruption (10) 3 combi-bolters (2x3) 1 balesword (6) 3 bubotic axes (3x5) = 246 points

Elite: Blightlord Terminator Squad 4x Blightlord Terminators 1x Blightlord Champion (38x5) 1 plague spewer (19) 1 flail of corruption (10) 3 combi-bolters (2x3) 1 balesword (6) 3 bubotic axes (3x5) = 246 points

Detachment total: 1528 points

Super Heavy Auxiliary Detachment

Lord of War: Mortarion; Miasma of Pestilence, Putrescent Vitality, Curse of the Leper = 470 points

Detachment total: 470 points

Army total = 1998/2000 points

First game i won due to running out of time to play beyond turn 5. Opponent was a Horus Heresy Ultramarine player just moving into 40k but had a nasty if unoptimal list with 3 catachan manticores and a tempestor prime, Guiliman, a Whirlwind Scorpius, 3 bare bones tactical squads, Guiliman, Tigurius, 2 assault cannon razorbacks and Chronos in a landraider (about the only innefficient). I was 3 ahead on Maelstrom points but only three models (my Chaos Lord, Plague Caster and a rhino on one wound) away from being tabled. Mortarion managed to last long enough to kill the land Raider while my terminators harrassed the manticores and distracted Guiliman.

Second game i got wiped out on turn 2 (my Chaos Lord technically lived to turn 3) after being seized against by a ridiculous amount of Cadian lascannons. My Terminators lasted longer than Mortarion and my Rhinos did but that was mostly due to the Relic of Lost Cadia being expended before they could come down.

Third game I lost Mortarion on the first turn against a pretty soft Eldar list (3 warlocks, farseer, autarch, 3 units of guardians, 2 units of rangers, 1 of every aspect warrior) due to some risky positioning but was able to compete quite well with only a 1528 point army until my only shot at his warlord was blocked by 5 successful 4+ invulnerable saves and ended up 4 points behind on Maelstrom with again just a Rhino and two characters left. Despite failing a first turn charge on an 6 and a 2 despite a command point reroll my terminators were able to cut down his banshees and shining spears. I would have done better if I'd gone straight for his Dark Reapers instead of going after objectives.

Fourth game I tabled a Primaris Salamanders army (3 units of 5 helblasters of every variant, a stormtalon with lascannons, 10 reivers, apothecary, standard, gravis captain, librarian, 3 units of 5 intercessors) despite again losing Mortarion on turn one to stratagem boosted flamer aggressors topped by lucky rolls from a Gravis Captain's bolter gauntlet, but that was after I had already tied up 2 units of helblasters with a first turn charge made that not matter much.

Fifth game I conceded on turn 3 despite being even on Maelstrom points because I only had rhinos left after failing to kill Magnus (his list also had 3 units of Brimstone horrors, a unit of blue horrors, Ahriman, the Changeling, Belakor, 2 heldrakes and 3 other daemon princes). I got Magnus down to two wounds but that took most of my army so I got out-maneuvered and butchered. The game losing mistake was casting blades of putrefaction on my terminators due to not quite managing to block Magnus charging Mortarion on turn one like I expected to and then using counter offensive on mortarion despite planning on using on on my terminators. End result was Mortarion not doing a single wound despite only to fail 5 invulnerable saves and my terminators being butchered before they could strike. Failing to ever block the +1 invulnerable save spell was just bad luck.

Except for the second game against Guard I don't think my list was the problem, I lost because I made mistakes and didn't have any experience with things like other primarchs or it was a close game where I just had bad luck.

But I've signed up for a smaller more local tournament near the end of the month so I'm almost back to square one since I have to turn a 2 detachment 2000 point army into a 1 detachment 1850 point army.

Its always good to hear people experiences with new armies. And like you said most of the games could have gone either way. The cadian army you played sounds interesting, do you know how he/she did with other games? 

I think the only problem with your list is that there needs to be more units, 3 rhino's, 2 squads of termies and morty makes it easy to concentrate fire. Maybe drop a termi squad and replace it with a havoc squad, suqad of cultists and/or pox walkers?  

For the 1850 pnt army i would defo take out the 2nd termi squad and down grade the second squad of Plague Marines a bit. this would free up about 120pnts to play with, again you could add pox walkers or havoc squad. 

I do like the darker green, reminds me of some of the art in the codex and a few of the war bands.

I've never been to a tournament but as far as armies go I do like seeing on here how varied the different Death Guard armies are in composition (inferring from what people build and paint). I play with lots of cultists and poxwalkers in large units with a massive foot print (and lots of battalion detachments and a bucket of CPs). I've barely used any non-character Death Guard/Plaguemarines as yet.

Pox Walkers would just make the whole point of having a entirely T7 army for the first turn irrelevant. I don't know what I would do with cultists or pox walkers, they'd just bubble wrap the rhinos or hide at the back and the rhinos were the bubble wrap and objective grabbers. I usually got out of the rhinos with my non-melee squads after deployment so that was 8 units on the board and it felt enough until the last few turns when the damage added up.

I don't have time to paint up more chaff units as I've got a ticket to a Warhammer World narrative event in January and want to use the non-competitive environment to try out a 3 units of 20 CSM Black Legion list and I have a Valhallan army to finish on the non-chaos side of things (and I did a Neophyte heavy Genestealer Cult army last year so don't want more autogun guys).

Plague Marine Havoks don't exist. My triple special weapon plague marines are already basically my havoks. If I wanted fire support I've have to dip into dreadnoughts (didn't have the time to convert them or the cash to buy OOP forgeworld) or Predators.

Dropping terminators sounds like a bad idea. I definitely needed both squads, one on their own wouldn't do much of anything. If a player wants to concentrate fire and their units are in range then they will, the only way to get around that is redundancy which means not dropping duplicate units to mix things up.

As I said, I definitely felt that the big problems were how I used the army, changing things up would just be re-setting my skill level with it. I could cram in a ton more efficiency but that would just ruin the modelling project aspect.

The Cadians went to the top tables but didn't end up in the top 3. I didn't really hang out with anyone who had a top tier army so don't know how that part of the tournament really went, I don't know if he lost a game or if it was soft scores that stopped him getting a trophy but he was mainly there to practice for the Warhammer World GT. I wouldn't call it interesting, it was literally a one trick pony written with absolute efficiency in mind. Its exactly the kind of army that anyone who's scared of what a competative player could do with the guard codex would immediately think of as a possibility and hope he doesn't run into it. The only flaw was that he took lascannons instead of missile launchers.

There was one other Death Guard army who went with Mortarion, two plagueburst crawlers and some pox walkers who did about as well as me (maybe with an extra win but in ended up in the same batch of tables). Another guy had a Mortarion but was just a chaos lord of war spammer and the other Nurgle player used Alpha Legion rules, a knight, some rhinos and 3 units of Slaanesh Obliterators (despite them looking Nurgle but whatever).

I can see your point of using t7 army. Pox walkers would change that. Out of curiosity, does morty bring a lot more to te table for his points or could they be better spent else where? freeing up 470 pnt could get you another PM squad and a LR with a rejig of other units. 

Mortarion isn't that good, but he's okay sometimes and amazing every now and then. 3 Dreadnoughts would probably be the best thing to swap him out for but I still don't want to convert and paint the Helbrute kit or any other vehicle really.

He is hard to use and bad rolls will just make him vanish early.

It is sad to hear he is so hit and miss, especially when G man seems to be really good in most games. 3 dreads/helbrute would look awesome on the battletop and give you quite a lot of diversity if you go for different loadouts. I think they will work great when you are ready to build/paint them ;) 

• 3 weeks later...

gallery_85153_13688_101467.png

I suspended work on my Call of Chaos vow to paint 3 Death Shroud up for a small 10 person tournament last saturday. Just the horns left to do really. Chaos Spawn is part of my CoC vow and was finished before Blood and Glory just in case I rolled terribly on a boon table, but I never even got to roll.

tournament summary.

my list

Army Faction: Death Guard Command Points 6

Battalion Detachment – Keyword: Death Guard

Giles Bitterheart
HQ: Chaos Lord (74) Combi Melta (19) Balesword (6) = 99 points
Warlord trait: Arch Contaminator

Erwin Gallspew
HQ: Malignant Plague Caster; Gift of Contagion, Blades of Putrefaction =110 points

Troop: Plague Marine Squad 6x Plague Marines 1x Plague Champion (7x19) 3 plasma guns (13*3), power fist (12) = 184 points

Troop: Plague Marine Squad 6x Plague Marines 1x Plague Champion (7x19) 2 plague spewers (19x2) icon of despair (10) 2 pairs of plague knives, 2 flails of corruption (10x2), power fist (12), plague sword (1) = 214 points

Troop: Plague Marine Squad 6x Plague Marines 1x Plague Champion (7x19) plasma gun (13) 2 blight launchers (14x2) = 174 points

Vanguard detachment - Keyword Death Guard

HQ Daemon Prince of Nurgle 146; Miasma of Pestilence, Suppurating plate, helforged sword (x10) = 156 points

Elite: Blightlord Terminator Squad 4x Blightlord Terminators 1x Blightlord Champion (38x5) 1 plague spewer (19) 1 flail of corruption (10) 2 combi-bolters (2x2) 1 combi-melta (19) 1 balesword (6) 3 bubotic axes (3x5) = 263 points

Elites: Deathshroud Terminator Squad 2x Deathshroud Terminators 1x Deathshroud Champion (50x3) 4 plaguespurt gauntlets (8x4), 3 manreapers (17x3)= 233 points

Army total = 1849/1850 points
Show

Game 1 vs Imperium

His list
2 Grand Master Nemesis Dreadnights
Callidus Assassin
Vindicare Assassin
Culexus Assassin
2 Terminator squads
2 strike squads
Stormraven with lascannons

Cleanse and capture mission

First turn I drew Advance, Secure Objective # and Priority Orders Received - Domination. He just had the storm raven, a terminator squad and 2 assassins on the board. So I deepstriked two units of terminators next to his Vindicare who was on top of a ruin with an objective, another unit of terminators on an objective in one corner no where near everything, kept a unit of plague marines back on the objective in my deployment zone and moved everything else forwards to get the objectives in the middle of the board.

Both terminator squads failed to charge the vindicare so I just got one objective in turn 1. Turn 2 I got 8 points with domination and basically won there. I ended up losing all my characters, both rhinos and a plague marine squad and only killed the storm raven, his warlord dreadnight and the vindicare. I killed a lot of terminators but they took a gate of infinity onto objectives every time I was about to actually wipe out a unit. My melee plague marine squad and the cullexus spent the whole game failing to kill each other in a board centre melee since if he fell back I would have roasted him with my heavy flamer equivalents. After his Strike squads, Callidus and Dreadnights lost the storm raven clearing out my deployment zone my army was basically too spread out for much else to happen.

Second game against Jormagundr Tyranids
3 warriors with deathspitters
Flyrant with 4 scything talons
3 biovores
Exocrine
Ripper squad
6 strong ravener unit
Big devilgaunt unit
20 genestealers
Hormagaunt unit
2 Neurothropes
2 thornbacks with devourers and talons

Strategic Deadlock mission.

I got off to a good start when my deathshroud killed his biovores on turn 1, but they got hit by a d6 wound smite and died. My daemon prince also managed to kill his warlord flyrant when it sneaked up on me. But I couldn't kill his catalysted genestealers and they just wiped out 2 units of plague marines, both rhinos and all my characters.

A unit of terminators also got hit repeatedly by The Horror and took a lot of turns to kill a thornback, which stopped me killing his Neurothropes and keeping more of my terminators alive.

I lost 14 points to 15 due to not drawing any good cards in the last few turns and foolishly objective camping with one of my plague marine squads. I had 1 terminator and my blight launchers squad left. If it had gone another turn it would likely have been a draw since he had no easy cards to score and I had a defend card I was 1/2 way towards but would have lost linebreaker.

Game 3 I should have been fighting the Grey Knights again but the TO swapped that round so I fought an unfortunate list.

Blood angels
5 sniper scouts
5 strong tactical squad with heavy bolter
whirlwind
laser vindicator
5 helblasters
5 intercessors
Storm Raven with assault cannons
Lemartes
5 jump back death company

Spoils of war mission

He threw his Stormraven with the deathcompany forwards while I deepstruck all my terminators into his side of the board on top of an objective I had to defend. Everthing in my deployment zone managed to get his storm raven down to a couple of wounds so they could finish it off next turn. My melee unit was out of range so I cast blades of putrifaction on the closest shooty plague marine squad and they hacked the embarrassed death company apart in assault. Lemartes killed my chaos lord before getting shot to bits.

On the other side of the board my terminators slowly cleared him out without losing a single full squad. He ended the game with just the vindicator and the scouts left.

The BA codex and Chapter approved should help that poor guy out but my list is also for some stupid reason dropping 96 points.

Only one out of 10 players won all three games with his Orks so I came second on total victory points.

I've finished building my Call of Chaos vow mutilators and have 2 extra Black Legion terminators so I can use a 10 man squad.

gallery_85153_13735_776850.png

I've also working on some misc Death Guard stuff including two characters for Call of Chaos. Once call of chaos is over I'll be working on getting my Black Legion ready for the Warhammer World Tenebris System Campaign Weekend in mid January.

gallery_85153_13688_262591.png

Edited by Closet Skeleton

I've misplaced the camera I usually borrow from my parents and the light is terrible due to the month.

gallery_85153_13735_481718.png

I got a bunch of pewter 1995 vintage chaos marine bodies off ebay. They're half decent sculpts ruined at the time by an appalling plastic arm sprue, which I should be able to fix.

gallery_85153_13735_1227712.png

I also picked up a discounted unopened Dark Vengeance box and a Helbrute kit. I also had a unbuilt Venerable Dread kit hanging around from Death Masque so got him out to complete a set of three. The spare arm attachments on the multipart helbrute fit in quite well with a lot of green stuff, while the legs I just did a simple adjustment I learned while doing my Angel's Encarmine dreads. I picked out the Champion head from the regular CSM kit because it reminded me of the second ed Chaos Dread's head.

gallery_85153_13735_643071.png

Call of Chaos vow Mutilators have their armour and gold done.

gallery_85153_13735_189188.png

Lastly I got some work done on my Chaos Lord kitbash who had spent several months as a pair of legs on my desk.

His face is mostly painted.

Lord of Contagion cloak, BaC Cataphractii torso front, regular Chaos Terminator arms, Plague Marine head, Krannon the Relentless' Sword, Grey Knight terminator hand and Scarab Occult Legs.

I wanted him to have an odd yet characterful and Shakespearean pose rather than just your standard evil bad guy look. The legs and torso are just resting and are not in their final intended angle. I also sculpted the back of the legs to be a mix of armour marks but the photo was too awful to show that off.

Always great to hear chaos doing so well! 

when you say dropping 96 pnts, do you mean you will save 96 pnts or its going to cost an extra 96 pnts? If you save 96 pnts that is great, means extra upgrades, or an extra Rhino ;) 

Really like the mutilators, and the chaos lord kit base looks Epic!! great choice of parts !

Love the classic marines and the helbrutes! Also my first time seeing someone make (and I assume use) mutilators. If you’ve been using them how have they been on table?

Also, the pose in that lord is wicked!

Love the classic marines and the helbrutes! Also my first time seeing someone make (and I assume use) mutilators. If you’ve been using them how have they been on table?

Also, the pose in that lord is wicked!

I don't care at all for the Mutilator fluff, but their rules are basically 'possessed terminators' and when I think Black Legion specialization I think 'possessed' and 'terminators' so the combination seemed natural.

I've not played with my Black Legion since I got my Death Guard tournament army in usable condition so haven't had an opportunity to use the Mutilators who I only finished building last week. They've gone down in points but will still be competing for warp time with my terminators so I don't see them as a mainstay.

I've worked on the metal standard bearer since I took those photos and its definitely boding well for the quality of those old sculpts.

I've also got 10 mark III bodies and 10 chaos knight shields I'm going to be trying to turn into breachers but their bases are in the same order as the raptors.

Then I've got to wait for my Raptors to come in the post and that will take a while because the cheapest store didn't have them in stock and I have more time than money so decided to wait.

• 2 weeks later...

More plogress

Finished modeling his waist yesterday so now he's ready to undercoat.

gallery_85153_13735_606316.png

Chaos Lord's upper body hasn't changed much but I've done most of the work on the legs. I used greenstuff to make the back of the Tartaros pattern legs look like it had been repaired with Cataphracti and Indomitus parts. I redid the loincloth as mail because I the angle of the base made the default loincloth an aberration against gravity.

gallery_85153_13735_6733.png

gallery_85153_13735_16242.png

Better pic and minor update ('finished' for Call of Chaos purposes) on the Mutilators.

WIP on the 1995 guys. Top row have their gold done as does the lascannon guy on the bottom row who has metal 2000s arms on a plastic body so shouldn't be here.

gallery_85153_13735_1308758.png

Started free handing a banner for my terminator squad. Since Chaos don't have a standard bearer unit this will also function as my warband banner. Will probably redo this entirely as the wolf's body ought to be higher up.

gallery_85153_13735_232777.png

• 2 weeks later...

gallery_85153_13735_991925.png

I really do hate the legs on the standard helbrute. They're impossible to repose and make him look like a real dope.

Got some top knots from anvil industries. Not sure about them yet. Also my bases arrived so I can stand up and work more on these mark III guys.

gallery_85153_13735_654384.png

My Raptors arrived at the same time as the bases but I've got plenty to finish in the 20 days left until the campaign day.

Another bad light update day because I can apparently afford a lamp or undercoat but not both.

gallery_85153_13735_284479.png

Got their top knots. Just need their shields.

gallery_85153_13735_1271686.png

Got my chaos lord's torso and head on. I also had to swap his sword hand with a grey knight one.

gallery_85153_13735_703998.png

Pewter guys got some arms that turned out to be sort of hit and miss. I also started on some unit champions from dark vengeance.

I've been working on raptors for what feels like a month but didn't take pics. I have less than 7 days until the campaign weekend so they're probably done for now.

gallery_85153_13735_608821.png

I have more than enough stuff done but I've had these unfinished obliterators for a while so I might as well make them a usable trio.

gallery_85153_13735_917598.png

Breachers have their chaos knight shields now. 5 still need back packs and there are other details like pistols to add and mutated shoulder pads to finish.

gallery_85153_13735_704800.png

My chaos lord needed more greenstuff work.

gallery_85153_13735_492988.png

Not to mention actual paint on his cloak. The belt buckle is kind of a cheat to change his pose but was mostly needed to give the chest cables somewhere to end.

gallery_85153_13735_83738.png

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

My box of Resin came in on Saturday. Also, here's some Cultists and Dark Vengeance stuff I started a while ago and never photographed. I have more to show but I just dropped one and can't find his lightning claw.

gallery_85153_13735_1007702.png

gallery_85153_13735_284933.png

gallery_85153_13735_206724.png

Not enjoying these photos.

Lots of natural light in all the wrong places.

gallery_85153_13735_93631.png

Total failure.

gallery_85153_13735_577876.png

gallery_85153_13735_1300674.png

Its partly the black that's the problem I guess.

gallery_85153_13688_54290.png

Still not great. Did these plague bearers some months ago following Dusk Raider's tutorial. Did the champion slightly earlier to use as a summoned herald so he ended up different. I was going to do some more Nurgle but I lost my only source of income (don't worry I'm not starving and have somewhere to sleep).

• 3 weeks later...

I also did not know the Mhara Gal was that big!

Neither did I, or I wouldn't have rushed to build the regular contemptor before I thought to bulk it up a bit.

Io haven't glued the torso on so I might increase the height there a bit but there's not a lot else I can do without hacking the legs apart.

What would you add to bulk it up? If I can be honest I'd say leave it be. I worry that it could have a tall & thin body depending on how it is bulked up and I would say avoid that. Plus, look at the Mhara Gal, that thing is blessed and possessed so its sheer size shows it's swelling with warp blessings.

I also have to say I love your paint job. I love the blue highlights on the black armor.