Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Starting iron warriors

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Nekro83

Nekro83

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 36 posts
Hi!
I am about to start an iron warriors army and i need advices.

Id like to use just infrantry and vehicles/walkers, not demons.

Which unit do you suggest?
How do you set up tacticals and havocs? Champions?

Thank youin advance
  • sebs_evo7 likes this

Call_of_Chaos_10_Banner_01c.jpg

Lord Asvaldir

Lord Asvaldir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,861 posts
  • Faction: WB, NL, DE

By no daemons do you mean no daemon vehicles like the forgefiends/maulerfiends, or just no summoning daemons? Cause I'd say no summoning daemons is perfectly fine. No daemon engines you can also do pretty easily, though the Iron Warriors are fairly infamous for their use of some daemon engines like maulerfiends. 

As far as an IW list setup, you definetly want to have a solid shooting element of your army. You don't have to be focused on a strictly shooting army but you definetly need at least some backfield guns so you can benefit from your legion trait. Havocs are an ideal unit to fill that role. My personal favorite heavy weapon for them is missile launchers because of their versatility, though they will suffer vs t8 vehicles compared to lascannons. Plasma squads are also always solid. As for standard chaos marines, unfortunately they just don't compare to havocs but I try to get as many plasma shots out of a squad as possible, often take ten with 2 plasmas and a champion with a combi plas. As for the rest of the army really up to you, couple things I'd suggest though. First, terminators with combi plasma and MoS are just too amazing to pass up on in my opinion, deep striking and shooting twice is brutal. Second, I know you don't want to use daemons but an IW daemon prince with their armor artifact is pretty solid. Besides that you'll probably want some vehicles, predators always being a solid choice now, plus maybe some cultists to fill out your troop slots. 

The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors...

Nekro83

Nekro83

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 36 posts

OK i like Havocs, but i was planning to equip them with Autocannons ( i know missile are better...but i don't like the models so much) do you think they can be still useful?

I am planning to put togheter a Spearhead detachment....what heavy supports do you suggest?

To start i was thinking about two havocs squads plus another heavy suppost choice ( Predator? Levitahan dreadnought?)

Terminators will surely be included lately.

And I'd like to skip also demon engines...I want to rapresent Early post heresy traitors, still not so corrupted by chaos powers.

Call_of_Chaos_10_Banner_01c.jpg

Khannis

Khannis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 96 posts

I'd recommend the Whirlwind Scorpius, the Leviathan and the Deredeo, all fluffly heavy support in the traditional Iron Warriors sense.

Unfortunately we haven't got direct access to emplaced artillery, but you can get them easily enough using the Renegades army list.

And autocannons are certainly viable in my experience, they're just not as versatile as MLs.

Lord Asvaldir

Lord Asvaldir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,861 posts
  • Faction: WB, NL, DE

OK i like Havocs, but i was planning to equip them with Autocannons ( i know missile are better...but i don't like the models so much) do you think they can be still useful?

I am planning to put togheter a Spearhead detachment....what heavy supports do you suggest?

To start i was thinking about two havocs squads plus another heavy suppost choice ( Predator? Levitahan dreadnought?)

Terminators will surely be included lately.

And I'd like to skip also demon engines...I want to rapresent Early post heresy traitors, still not so corrupted by chaos powers.

What missile launcher models do you not like? There's plenty of alternatives to the one missile launcher in the havocs set which is a terrible set anyway since it comes with a mix of weapons. I used the missile launchers from the 30k betrayal at calth marines and threw them on some standard chaos marines, turned out perfectly. 

You can definetly get away with no daemon engines. I'd say use can use as many havoc suads as you want, do a mix of heavy weapon back fielders and short ranged plasma gunners in rhinos. Then for support take say two predators. 

I stay away from FW for my 40k army, save those FW vehicles for my 30k guys but I have heard the leviathan dreadnought is very good now. 

The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors...

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,444 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

I found autocannons to be trash but that could have just been bad luck over the 3 games I've got so far and two of those were against knights (the other one was imperial soup of marines and guard).

Edited by Closet Skeleton, 13 September 2017 - 07:51 PM.

the jeske

the jeske

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19,518 posts

RL are better then AC  huh.png  For IW. First condolances to having the IF chapter traits. In general try to stick to the good stuff in csm codex and avoid the bad stuff. 2-3 preds are good, 2-3 havocks can be ok. Cultists and EC are passible units. DPs are ok for counters, and gain a lot from the IW relic armor. Lord and Sorc are ok.  Try avoiding stuff like csm, possessed etc. In general playing IW is like playing any other legion, only without any legion tactics

"Felix wondered how Calgar might feel about the primach's unilateral altering of the Codex Astartes. The captain could not help but feel that, in his drive for victory and efficiency, Guilliman had been careless with the feelings of his existing sons. Increasingly, Guilliman looked to the Primaris Space Marines as his first solution. He made no attempt to hide the fact that the days of the older space marines were numbered."

Fhanados

Fhanados

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 105 posts

I'm not an IW player myself, but I don't really understand the hate for their Legion tactic. Do people just not play games with ruins or area terrain anymore? I get that it's harder to benefit from cover with large squads, but it's still easy for small elite units like Devastators, Centurions, Havocs, or anything Primaris to gain cover and make it harder to shift them. It's not super powerful, but it's still better than Word Bearers or Black Legion in my opinion.

For the OP's question I echo most of the sentiments here. Havocs are good, I've seen missile launchers and lascannons used to great effect (currently building my own Lascannon team) and they even make good line infantry by running 10 man units with a bunch of special weapons. Compared to CSM units you lose nu-obsec but pack a much bigger punch. I'd only bother giving the Champ wargear when using them as special-weapons units and putting a combi-something on him. So far I've found basic marine stats to be pretty underwhelming in combat and with the ability to just walk away if you feel like it there's no reason to get stuck in if you're not a specifically fighty squad. 

I personally use Chaos Tacticals, but that's a fluff preference. Honestly, they never achieve much even with obsec. Points are better spent on Havocs or cult units. If you really must have some troops choices Cultists are a fine selection, and fit well with Iron Warriors background of sending in the grunts to clear minefields and waste the enemy's ammo before the hammer falls. Chosen are much the same as Tacticals in my book. I use them, but they don't bring anything that other MEQs in our book can't do better or cheaper.

Avoiding Daemon vehicles limits your options a fair bit. Predators are great in pretty much any configuration (again, I've seen them in action but don't own any myself), Landraiders are OK but super expensive and wouldn't be considered competitive. Sadly the humble Vindicator is pretty garbage. For more variety in tanks, look at the Forces of Chaos index from Forgeworld - we get a whole bunch of Dreadnought variants (all of which are pretty good), the Hellforged Predator (a bit more than a regular pred but with more options and an Elites choice), Whirlwind Scorpius, Sicaran and Venator. I can't speak to the effectiveness of the Scorpius or Sicaran variants but they seem alright on paper. There's some landraider variants, the Spartan and Mastadon as well but they are all very points heavy.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users