Crazy ideas for our codex (whishlistin´& conspiracies)

Are Verlo

I say it won't be advance&charge because another loyalist Marine chapter already got that one.

I think there's a relic or warlord trait or something that lets a single model advance and charge. Is that what you're talking about?

No, but I could be confusing the CMS Renegade Legion trait with the Black Templar Chapter tactic. Both suck tho. :D

I say it won't be advance&charge because another loyalist Marine chapter already got that one.

I think there's a relic or warlord trait or something that lets a single model advance and charge. Is that what you're talking about?

No, but I could be confusing the CMS Renegade Legion trait with the Black Templar Chapter tactic. Both suck tho. :biggrin.:

Yep, that's it. Poor Black Templars got stuck with rerolling charge distances which is, to me at least, significantly inferior.

Just imagine if we got advance and charge as well as a "Wings of Sanguinius/Warptime" power. All of my please!

I expect that we will. My read on things is that we're going to be focused more on mobility than most of the other marine chapters. Our fluff is always talking about us being incredibly fast.

It looks like howling banshees are getting some nice move/charge buffs in the eldar codex. That's from a BOLS preview. Not sure exactly what, but the leak said charging from 15". Now I'm not saying BA need that far of a charge but it seems fluffy and powerful related to banshees. I'm starting to believe we'll get something similar that's fluffy and powerful for blood angels regarding melee.

Edited by brother_b

It looks like howling banshees are getting some nice move/charge buffs in the eldar codex. That's from a BOLS preview. Not sure exactly what, but the leak said charging from 15". Now I'm not saying BA need that far of a charge but it seems fluffy and powerful related to banshees. I'm starting to believe we'll get something similar that's fluffy and powerful for blood angels regarding melee.

It's simply advance&charge. 12" charge range + average advance move = ~15".

Advance and charge has no synergy with deepstrike, which has been our focus in the past. I expect something else.

Do we even have a predilection for deep striking? Jump packs yes, but I am not so sure about this particular method of deployment. To me this is more a tabletop thing. We like assaulting, so we need to get our marines into assault range. The table top method is deep strike.

Fluffwise deep striking (especially TDA)  is more a DA thing IMHO. They have the reputation for just popping up somewhere (or leaving out all of a sudden), we just use any means necessary to get to our foes. 

Instead of better deep striking I'd rather see (alongside better melee) better survivability for units starting on the board and/or better mobility and/or "smaller" jump packs. 9 or 12 JP DC in a stormraven would be nice

Edited by Quixus

Advance and charge has no synergy with deepstrike, which has been our focus in the past. I expect something else.

Do we even have a predilection for deep striking? Jump packs yes, but I am not so sure about this particular method of deployment. To me this is more a tabletop thing. We like assaulting, so we need to get our marines into assault range. The table top method is deep strike.

Fluffwise deep striking (especially TDA)  is more a DA thing IMHO. They have the reputation for just popping up somewhere (or leaving out all of a sudden), we just use any means necessary to get to our foes. 

Instead of better deep striking I'd rather see (alongside better melee) better survivability for units starting on the board and/or better mobility and/or "smaller" jump packs. 9 or 12 JP DC in a stormraven would be nice

Blood Angles are known for their extensive use of Jump Pack, partially because the longing to fly is in their blood (hell one of the 'tests' on the way to where BA recruits get chosen on one of the moons is to fly/glide a full day or more through a canyon to reach the location etc.).

Ruleswise we used to have scatter reducing special rules for Jump Packs which we could combine with Dantes own ability to have zero scatter deep strike with Jump Packs.

However that's kinda unlikely to be our army wide rule. We have plenty of non-JP units as well. Maybe part of our army wide rule will mention Jump Packs but the main bonus will be something that affects Bikes, Tacticals and Dreadnoughts as well.

Pretty sure it’s more than that. Banshees also get +3” to their charge distance and declare targets 15” away. Average threat distance of slightly over 20”. I don’t anticipate us getting anything like that.

Pretty sure it’s more than that. Banshees also get +3” to their charge distance and declare targets 15” away. Average threat distance of slightly over 20”. I don’t anticipate us getting anything like that.

http://www.3plusplus.net/2017/10/eldar-rules-dump-twitch/

• Banshee mask denies overwatch now instead of always striking first. They can advance and charge.

Yes...they advance and charge. They also add 3”’ their charge range. Averaging 7” movement plus 3.5” advance, plus 10” charge means they’re headed your way from over 20” away. Pretty sure we are saying the same thing here.

That wouldn't really fit what you said earlier tho. Charging from 15" away really doesn't indicate anything about 3" more range since as you said that would be 20" away so why would they say 15"?

Roll 2D6 and let me know how many times you can get it to total 15 without adding their +3” special rule. That’s why they get to declare charges that far away, compared to 12” for us mere mortals.

As for what I was saying earlier using averages, of 3.5 per roll means 3.5 advance, and 10.5 charge meaning their “threat range” from where they begin their movement phase is around 2 feet.

Roll 2D6 and let me know how many times you can get it to total 15 without adding their +3” special rule. That’s why they get to declare charges that far away, compared to 12” for us mere mortals.

As for what I was saying earlier using averages, of 3.5 per roll means 3.5 advance, and 10.5 charge meaning their “threat range” from where they begin their movement phase is around 2 feet.

Seriously? I even said how to reach the 15" with my first post. It's not just the charge move, it's the advance move included.

Blood Angles are known for their extensive use of Jump Pack, partially because the longing to fly is in their blood (hell one of the 'tests' on the way to where BA recruits get chosen on one of the moons is to fly/glide a full day or more through a canyon to reach the location etc.).

Ruleswise we used to have scatter reducing special rules for Jump Packs which we could combine with Dantes own ability to have zero scatter deep strike with Jump Packs.

Yeah, I know, but I always thought that the Raven Guard CT would be much more fitting for BA. I always found it weird that our mastery of jump packs ended as soon as we were on the battlefield. Additionally In 8th ed. everyone can "deep strike" with pinpoint accuracy, so reduced scatter is a moot point. While the minimum allowed distance to enemy units could be reduced, this means that our mastery of jump packs again ends with our arrival on the field (unless we get other benefits as well)

However that's kinda unlikely to be our army wide rule. We have plenty of non-JP units as well. Maybe part of our army wide rule will mention Jump Packs but the main bonus will be something that affects Bikes, Tacticals and Dreadnoughts as well.

Let's hope for that. I still think the HH chapter tactic is simple and would work well.

Edited by Quixus

Yeah, I know, but I always thought that the Raven Guard CT would be much more fitting for BA. I always found it weird that our mastery of jump packs ended as soon as we were on the battlefield. Additionally In 8th ed. everyone can "deep strike" with pinpoint accuracy, so reduced scatter is a moot point. While the minimum allowed distance to enemy units could be reduced, this means that our mastery of jump packs again ends with our arrival on the field (unless we get other benefits as well)

Let's hope for that. I still think the HH chapter tactic is simple and would work well.

Well you asked whether we have a predilection for deep striking. I never said that we should get more accurate deep striking since that's hardly possible without reducing the min distance to the enemy lol

Also Ravenguards are the sneaky Marines with Jump Packs. We aren't sneaky. We are the awesome Marines with Jump Pack. Shock&Awe doesn't work well together with being sneaky (well shock maybe, but not the awe part ^^). ;)

Also Ravenguards are the sneaky Marines with Jump Packs. We aren't sneaky. We are the awesome Marines with Jump Pack. Shock&Awe doesn't work well together with being sneaky (well shock maybe, but not the awe part ^^). :wink:

Totally true, I just mean the part of using the JP in the movement and assault phases in 7th ed.

Couple of things to point out. JPs do not scatter anymore. Being able to deepstrike more than 7" away would make for a good stratagem and not pigeonhole the rest of us into having to take JPs.

I feel like we are going to end up with ASF as our chapter tactic, and that isn't something I'm looking forward to.

Seriously? I even said how to reach the 15" with my first post. It's not just the charge move, it's the advance move included.
If the advance move is what gets you 15” then what purpose does the distinction of declaring charges from 15” away serve?

Anyway, discussing Overcharged Engines with a regular opponent he suggested the Baal Pred be changed so it’s heavy weapons count as assault weapons. Seems reasonable to me for a close/mid-range battle tank that needs to close distances reasonably quickly compared to standard Predators, and gives it a perk compared to Razorbacks.

If the advance move is what gets you 15” then what purpose does the distinction of declaring charges from 15” away serve?

I'm honestly not sure how to make it more clear to you so I just gonna drop it.

I'd be happy with some terminator buffs as well.  This Archangel Orbital Intervention Force is just sitting here, collecting dust.

The lore has them described as essentially miniature tanks, and now that vehicles use the same rules as infantry, maybe it's time to bring them closer together. What if basic terminators had as many as 3 or even 4 wounds each, and characters were adjusted proportionately? They'd still be vulnerable to anti-tank, but a ton more resilient against small arms fire, which they ought to be.

The Archangel force was going to be one of my first purchases getting back into the game earlier this year, I wound up buying Space Hulk instead (similar effect). As it stands right now, they could halve the points cost on them and I'm still not sure they'd be a worthwhile unit. Terminator armour is just so close to no armour at all for anything that's halfway likely to shoot at them. But they're unlikely to get a substantial buff since the core Marine book is already out. But then, if they can make changes as radical as the commisar nerf in an FAQ, maybe anything can happen.

Edited by Kolyarut