Tyrant of the Hollow Worlds

DogWelder

I've started reading Tyrant of the Hollow worlds and....well its disappointing. It reads more like a script than a novel. A series of actions done by characters connected together with only a very shallow establishment of the background.  There is no atmosphere, no sense of the environment around the characters. 

I feel like I'm reading an online role-play:

'The Inquisitor enters the room. The Guardsmen become shocked as he presents obvious evidence of chaos infiltration before assassins break in and start blasting everything with chaos pistols. Then the Inquisitor uses his psychic powers to kill them. Then they hear the thunder of the Red Corsair's orbital bombardments. Then they rush out and try to take control of the city and rally its defences.'

I'm exaggerating a bit but that is basically how one scene went. 

Oh and not to mention the most cringe-inducing line I have ever read involving a Chaos Space Marine.

“How rude,’ said Malinko, firing up his flamer. A small gout of fire came out of the nozzle, but was extinguished by the lack of oxygen. ‘Also rude,’ he added, switching to his bolter.”

Excerpt From: Mark Clapham. “Tyrant of the Hollow Worlds.” iBooks. 

Never mind that this guy is in an airless environment, exposed to the vaccuum of space and he still tries to fire his flamer like a complete novice...if this is the author's attempt at making the Chaos Space Marines more 'relatable' then I have to say, he is greatly over-doing it.
Edited by DogWelder

I've started reading Tyrant of the Hollow worlds and....well its disappointing. It reads more like a script than a novel. A series of actions done by characters connected together with only a very shallow establishment of the background.  There is no atmosphere, no sense of the environment around the characters. 

I feel like I'm reading an online role-play:

'The Inquisitor enters the room. The Guardsmen become shocked as he presents obvious evidence of chaos infiltration before assassins break in and start blasting everything with chaos pistols. Then the Inquisitor uses his psychic powers to kill them. Then they hear the thunder of the Red Corsair's orbital bombardments. Then they rush out and try to take control of the city and rally its defences.'

I'm exaggerating a bit but that is basically how one scene went. 

Oh and not to mention the most cringe-inducing line I have ever read involving a Chaos Space Marine.

“How rude,’ said Malinko, firing up his flamer. A small gout of fire came out of the nozzle, but was extinguished by the lack of oxygen. ‘Also rude,’ he added, switching to his bolter.”

Excerpt From: Mark Clapham. “Tyrant of the Hollow Worlds.” iBooks. 

Never mind that this guy is in an airless environment, exposed to the vaccuum of space and he still tries to fire his flamer like a complete novice...if this is the author's attempt at making the Chaos Space Marines more 'relatable' then I have to say, he is greatly over-doing it.

Exactly. Sadly. Point of the book in general is to show a 'SMB' event and events before the taking of the SW strike cruiser by the Red Corsairs. And how that happened - due to the ending we know from where Huron got the info

I'm about 5% through, and it feels like it was written by a 14 year old. I'm going to chalk it up to me being in a mood, and come back to it in a few days, but the first section of the book was unbearable.

No, I don't think it was you being in a mood because I had pretty much the exact same impression (the thought that came to mind as I was reading it was "was this written by a 12 year old?"). I had to put it down after about 20 pages, try as I did to keep pushing.

I'm trudging through and the battle scenes are okay I suppose. The author is a huge fan of the phrase 'half a dozen'. More often than not the Red Corsairs are usually cleaving though 'half a dozen' Skitarii or Cadians with 'one swing of the blade'. 

I'm about 5% through, and it feels like it was written by a 14 year old. I'm going to chalk it up to me being in a mood, and come back to it in a few days, but the first section of the book was unbearable.

No, I don't think it was you being in a mood because I had pretty much the exact same impression (the thought that came to mind as I was reading it was "was this written by a 12 year old?"). I had to put it down after about 20 pages, try as I did to keep pushing.

Well - due to me being a throughout reader and mazochist - I finished it :) At the end it was like 'right where did I spend my life hours for...'

I'm trudging through and the battle scenes are okay I suppose. The author is a huge fan of the phrase 'half a dozen'. More often than not the Red Corsairs are usually cleaving though 'half a dozen' Skitarii or Cadians with 'one swing of the blade'. 

Half a dozen for sure. And squads :yes:

I did not enjoy this book. There's only been a few BL novels that I honestly feel were a waste of my time and this book is sadly one of them. There's zero character development of Huron, who is ostensibly the main reason people would want to read the book. The Imperium defenders, without giving spoilers, are a coin toss between outright incompetent or just plain stupid.

If anyone was waffling to get this, please do not. This is a hard pass.

I did not enjoy this book. There's only been a few BL novels that I honestly feel were a waste of my time and this book is sadly one of them. There's zero character development of Huron, who is ostensibly the main reason people would want to read the book. The Imperium defenders, without giving spoilers, are a coin toss between outright incompetent or just plain stupid.

If anyone was waffling to get this, please do not. This is a hard pass.

I think that the book was released as a filler prequel for the takeover of the SW strike cruiser and the attempt to breath some life into the dying SMB serie.

The story had some nice, grimdark twists at the ending. Though the armor battle at the middle was atrocious.

The Space Wolves lose 3 Land Raiders, 4 Vindicators, 4 Whirlwinds and 6 Rhinos for the price of 1 Red Corsair Predator and Rhino that turned over by accident.

Not to mention that one of the Red Corsairs single-handedly took out a Land Raider by leaping on it.