New Eisenhorn

Never_born

Well looky what we have here :happy.:

Inquisitor Eisenhorn returns in a stunning new novel that pits him against his oldest foe, forcing him to finally confront the growing darkness within his own soul.

Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn has spent his life stalking the darkest and most dangerous corners of the galaxy in pursuit of heresy and Chaos, but how long can a man walk that path without succumbing to the lure of the warp? Pursuing heretics in the remote worlds of the Imperium, Eisenhorn must confront the truth about himself. Is he still a champion of the Throne? Or has he been seduced by the very evil that he hunts? The Magos is the brand new, full-length fourth novel in the hugely popular Eisenhorn series. This paperback edition also includes the definitive casebook of Gregor Eisenhorn, collecting together all twelve of Dan Abnett’s Inquisition short stories, several of which have never been in print before. These additional stories have been compiled by the author to act as an essential prologue to this long-awaited new novel, while also serving as an indispensable companion to the original Eisenhorn trilogy.

* Dan Abnett is a New York Times bestselling author and comicbook writer with worldwide sales in excess of two million books for Black Library.

* Part detective story, part action-packed galactic epic, the original Eisenhorn trilogy remains a must-read series for fans of both Warhammer 40,000 and science fiction in general.

* Alongside The Magos - the first new novel to feature Gregor Eisenhorn in over five years - this book also collects together a dozen of Dan Abnett's Inquisition short stories for the first time

-

Cannot wait!! At 512 pages this is going to be an absolute beast of a book! Keeping everything crossed for an Audio release to go alongside this too!

A new Eisenhorn story called 'The Magos' Hell Yes Absolutely:yes: 

Though massively surprised considering Dan has already started the next trilogy Ravenor vs. Eisenhorn with the awesome 'Pariah'

​I wonder if this is a story that might be very relevant in the future?

Also, really hope they do a special edition release for this for I will snatch that puppy up straight away!:thumbsup: 

A new Eisenhorn story called 'The Magos' Hell Yes Absolutely:yes:

Though massively surprised considering Dan has already started the next trilogy Ravenor vs. Eisenhorn with the awesome 'Pariah'

​I wonder if this is a story that might be very relevant in the future?

Also, really hope they do a special edition release for this for I will snatch that puppy up straight away!:thumbsup:

My thoughts here

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/339319-new-eisenhorn/?p=4885192

R_F_D

'He didn't mean for this novel to be written; it would suggest to me that he was giving the Eisenhorn/Ravenor/Pariah plots some thought or preparation and low and below an idea presented itself and he ran with it for a new novel.  To me that gives me hope that he is giving actual consideration to the series, i.e. Penitent.

It seems to me that the book that people have the main criticisms about - Unremembered Empire (was going to included I Am Slaughter but not sure as I haven't read TBA/engaged with the forums) was written at a time where Dan was not happy with BL.

I hasten to add this is all my own guess work and pop psychology.'

I'm simply so excited for this, if someone was to present to me two choices (A - Horus Heresy finale B - More Eisenhorn) I would pick B without hesitation!:wub: 

We even have a cover now, and it clearly denotes that the "Casebook" is separate and in addition to the novel.

http://d28hgpri8am2if.cloudfront.net/book_images/onix/cvr9781784967024/the-magos-9781784967024_hr.jpg

Sad that they didn't stick with the new cover layout from the reissues, though. Speaking of which, shouldn't a few of the short stories already be printed in those?

• 3 weeks later...

How awesome does it look? http://www.blacklibrary.com/coming-soon/february/the-magos-special-ed.html

In addition, the page length (imperfect metric aside) of 608 suggests that there's whole lot more than what we've already got. Going on my rough working outs here

Having gone through the books I own that include the shorts, the page lengths are as follows:
Backcloth for a Crown Additional 25 pages (LE edition, standard HH hardback size)
Missing in Action 23 pages (LE edition standard HH hardback size)
Master Imus's Transgression 15 pages (LE edition standard HH hardback size)
Thorn Wishes Talon 18 pages (Ravenor omnibus, larger than paperback smaller than HH hardback)

Using those lengths and comparing them to the versions I of them I own on Kindle, I've gestimated that the ones I don't own in print would be the following lengths:
Regia Occulta c.14 pages
Born To Us c.5-6 pages
The Keeler Image c.10 pages

That's around 110 pages.  Most of Abnett's works for his Inquisitors are around the 300 page mark in paperback.  Therefore I can't see a reason why Magos won't be a full novel as a 400 page book is relatively common production for BL.

• 2 months later...

I'm currently reading Traitor General.  In a passage (p.211 hardback edition, chapter 21) when Gaunt considers the meaning of Chaos and how it subverts people and worlds, Gaunt considers the writings of Ravenor who was, writing nearly half a century ago.  Traitor General is set 774.M41 which suggests that Ravenor is writing/ alive up until 720.M41ish. From a previous post I worked out that Pariah is set at around 500.M41.

What I am basically trying to say is, there's another 200 years left for Dan to play with!!!  Therefore, hopefully loads more stories! 

I’ve been re reading the Eisenhorn books to get back in the groove for Magos and spotted in the intro of the limited ed box set for Hereticus Dan is very clear Eisenhorn will only be the main subject of three books. His grand design was a total of 9 books three trilogies, Eisenhorn, Ravenor and Bequin. Now this was only back in 2015, so Magos has obviously been a suprise not only to us but to Dan also. Personally I think that that’s a great sign. It must have come from a moments madness not a grand design. So I say bring in the madness.

Re reading the original books is well worthwhile. Loving it and definitely back in the groove.

• 4 weeks later...

The book page on the BL website has been updated.  Full list of stories below:

– Pestilence​
​– Master Imus’s Transgression​
​– Regia Occulta​
​​– Missing in Action​​​
​​– Backcloth for a Crown Additional​​​
​​– The Strange Demise of Titus Endor​
​​– The Curiosity​
​​– Playing Patience​
​​– Thorn Wishes Talon​
​​– The Gardens of Tycho​​​
​​– The Keeler Image​​​
​​– Perihelion​​​
– The Magos

Of those, I know nothing about Pestilence, The Curiosity and the Gardens of Tycho in the Eisenhorn setting.  Pestilence and Gardens of Tycho are available as individual e-books and part of Deathwing and Fear the Alien anthologies, respectively.  The Curiosity was available in the Crucible of War anthology Not sure what there connection might be?  Gardens of Tycho & The Curiosity feature a character called Magos Biologis Valentin Drusher.

*Edit* updated to include links to the Curiosity. 

RE: Gardens of Tycho: Wasn't part of the plot something to do with interplanetary smuggling of carnodons and big game? You could probably change a line or two and connect it to Gudrun and the carnodons bred/kept by House Glaw in Xenos. Or even simpler, add an explanatory paragraph at the start in Aemos' or Eisenhorn's voice, saying that this case was studied while investigating the Glaw criminal empire. It would work... but I can't think of any direct Eisenhorn link there.

RE: Pestilence: a great story, one of Abnett's best, but even less connection to Eisenhorn. Again, you could add an expository paragraph at the start covering how Eisenhorn looked into it for whatever reason but it feels a little forced. I guess these stories are not likely to be republished anywhere else.

• 2 weeks later...

It out! Special edition ordered up and eagerly awaited!!!

Check out this interview....and guess what the master of the inquisition states....wait for it......he is beavering away at the next Bequin books! Great times ahead folks. Hopefully Dan will find time to squeeze in a Necromunda story someday

https://www.trackofwords.com/2018/02/24/rapid-fire-dan-abnett-talks-the-magos/

So according to the Introduction, The Magos directly ties the stories together, including those that were NOT related before. Apparently things took further shape in Dan's head, and he highly recommends reading the stories in the order presented before going into The Magos.

I'm running on no sleep tonight, it's past 6am, but I think I'll start on Pestilence now.

Check out this interview....and guess what the master of the inquisition states....wait for it......he is beavering away at the next Bequin books! Great times ahead folks. Hopefully Dan will find time to squeeze in a Necromunda story someday

https://www.trackofwords.com/2018/02/24/rapid-fire-dan-abnett-talks-the-magos/

I don't think Abnett's writing them right now, the quote was they've moved up his to-do list.

However, I'm delighted he's named the 3rd book and that he has his mojo back!

Archived