Minotaurs and Primaris...

old git

Given that the Minotaurs are, shall we say, less than trustworthy in the eyes of some other chapters due to their reputed role as the High Lords attack dogs, and that the High Lords are somewhat less powerful since the return of Gulliman, how do we see the Minotaurs being reinforced with Primaris personnel and equipment. I ask 'cos I've been slowly building a Minotaurs force and want to stick to fluff as far as possible.

According to fluff, 97% of Chapter accepted Primaris. I believe that those other 3% are never mentioned and just exist for player, who utterly resent them. I am pretty sure Minotaurs get theirs. After all, it is neither the High Lords nor other Chapters that decide that, but Guilliman, and he is fairly impartial when it comes to handing out the big guys.

One reason they may not have them is because AFAIK in the fluff Ultramarines and their successors pretty much hate the Minotaurs due to them almost wiping out the Inceptors chapter and taking a lot of the chapters relics. Whether Gman actually cares about the grudges held by his sons though is anybodys guess.

According to fluff, 97% of Chapter accepted Primaris. I believe that those other 3% are never mentioned and just exist for player, who utterly resent them. I am pretty sure Minotaurs get theirs. After all, it is neither the High Lords nor other Chapters that decide that, but Guilliman, and he is fairly impartial when it comes to handing out the big guys.

Well of Course everybody does they have to sell models screw the fluff . Forget about almost wiping out a Ultras Successor and taking their relics . Rob says let bygones be bygones .:biggrin.:

Given that the Minotaurs are, shall we say, less than trustworthy in the eyes of some other chapters due to their reputed role as the High Lords attack dogs, and that the High Lords are somewhat less powerful since the return of Gulliman, how do we see the Minotaurs being reinforced with Primaris personnel and equipment. I ask 'cos I've been slowly building a Minotaurs force and want to stick to fluff as far as possible.

There are only two requirements for Minotaurs to have Primaris Marines, and if these conditions are met, they have the capability to have a LOT of them.

1) The High Lords who secretly backed them were not dismissed by Guilliman. We know Guilliman has restructured the Council of the High Lords of Terra and more than a few were likely dismissed, but we also know Guilliman didn't just outright remove all of them from office. So long as even one of them still sees the need for and is willing to support the Minotaurs, they will continue operating as they have done for thousands of years.

2) Their rapid indoctrination program works with Primaris Marines. Because we know it works with traditional Astartes, it most likely is compatible with Primaris. Why? Because the Primaris implantation process is designed to be more successful by nature, and the problems with the Minotaurs' rapid reinforcement programs are largely mental, it is very likely that the Minotaurs are able to make Primaris Marines since they were already able to quick grow and install the already harder to make traditional geneseed organs.

Remember from what we know from IA13 and the previews of IA14, the Minotaurs took a huge thrashing by the hands of the Necrons. After limping their way to the Forge World where IA14 takes place to restock and heal up, they are then attacked by a Tau force so fiercely, that the combined forces of the Red Scorpions, Minotaurs, and Adeptus Mechanicus are forced to activate the now insane, 10,000 year old 30K Adeptus Mechanicus robot forces on the planet.

So judging from this, if you would like to have a lot of Primaris Marines in your army, the explanation would be that the Minotaurs were one of the near extinct chapters that Guilliman sent reinforcements to, because Guilliman isn't so wasteful that he would dissolve a loyal chapter simply because of a petty feud involving his successors, and the Minotaurs have mastered the Primaris process. If you want an army with few Primaris Marines, then the explanation would be that the Minotaurs have not mastered the Primaris process, but have accepted reinforcements. They must resort to their traditional rapid recruiting which only creates traditional Marines. If you want an army with NO Primaris, then the explanation is simply that the Minotaurs were unable to master the Primaris process, it did not fit their rapid replenishment style, or they are no longer receiving any favoritism or support from the High Lords.

I see any of these explanations as plausible. I don't think GW would want Minotaurs players to not buy Primaris models so I would say Minotaurs would have some Primaris, but I until I see FW make Primaris units, I can also see the Minotaurs not having any Primaris units because they are a chapter associated with the FW studio and they may have special reasons for not having Primaris.

Thanks for that Tyberos, sound reasoning for several options. I do want to include Primaris so I'll go with the 'loyalist chapter, petty disputes don't matter in the face of chaos anymore' approach.

In the Death Guard codex, there's a lore tidbit where they've had their gene-seed stocks completely corrupted by Nurgle and the Minotaurs are now fighting a desperate crusade to reach Terra to replenish them.

Wait wut? Seriously? How the devil? Really hope there's more to that than one of those one sentence 'timeline' fluff pieces.

In the Death Guard codex, there's a lore tidbit where they've had their gene-seed stocks completely corrupted by Nurgle and the Minotaurs are now fighting a desperate crusade to reach Terra to replenish them.

Wait wut? Seriously? How the devil? Really hope there's more to that than one of those one sentence 'timeline' fluff pieces.

Afraid not. I get the sneaking suspicion a lot of other chapters are going to suffer similar fates to, uh, 'encourage' them to take on Primaris Marines.

"A sepsis cohort of the 7th Plague Company strikes at the fortress monastery of the Minotaurs Chapter. Their attack is driven off, but celebration turns to despair upon the discovery that Mortation's sons have tainted the Chapter's gene-seed stocks beyond redemption. So begins a desperate quest for survival, a crusade across the stars to reach Terra and access purified gene-seed reserves before the Chapter wastes away."

Medusa also gets invaded, the Iron Hands drive 'em off but sections of the planet are left quarantined.

Edited by Lord Marshal

Afraid not. I get the sneaking suspicion a lot of other chapters are going to suffer similar fates to, uh, 'encourage' them to take on Primaris Marines.

God damn it. And in another faction's codex too? So if you're a Minotaur fan (surely one of the more popular non-codex Chapters, thanks to the FW attention) you'll have no idea GW have just shafted your dudes unless you read the book of a faction you may have negative interest in? They really are a bunch of :censored: hacks.

Is it too much to ask to have some 40k story other than 'lol Imperium sucks, your dudes fail, pyrrhic victories are the best you can hope for'? I'm sure they used to...

Hang on. Fortress Monastery? The Minotaurs are :censored::censored:  fleet based! Starting to think I was too generous calling them :censored: hacks :cry:

Edited by Leif Bearclaw

God damn it. And in another faction's codex too? So if you're a Minotaur fan (surely one of the more popular non-codex Chapters, thanks to the FW attention) you'll have no idea GW have just shafted your dudes unless you read the book of a faction you may have negative interest in? They really are a bunch of :censored: hacks.

Is it too much to ask to have some 40k story other than 'lol Imperium sucks, your dudes fail, pyrrhic victories are the best you can hope for'? I'm sure they used to...

Hang on. Fortress Monastery? The Minotaurs are :censored::cuss  fleet based! Starting to think I was too generous calling them :censored: hacks :cry:

It read like the blerb to a Black Library book tbh. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what comes of this.

That sounds a tad... melodramatic. Remember, Space Marines are made to overcome overwhelming odds. A loss of geneseed stores is nothing more than another enemy for the Space Marines to persevere over, and further proof that they're harder than their wayward brethren. Anyone in doubt of the Minotaurs' eventual victory over this minor speedbump should immediately report to the Chaplaincy for immediate reeducation and mandatory morale boosting.

That sounds a tad... melodramatic. Remember, Space Marines are made to overcome overwhelming odds. A loss of geneseed stores is nothing more than another enemy for the Space Marines to persevere over, and further proof that they're harder than their wayward brethren. Anyone in doubt of the Minotaurs' eventual victory over this minor speedbump should immediately report to the Chaplaincy for immediate reeducation and mandatory morale boosting.

That said, it probably won't be easy to get that Iron Warriors gene-seed back :P

So this is what people meant when they were complaining about the DG codex making them the new Mary Sue spotlight posterboys. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but it sounds like the DG have been very busy, and very successful.

Hang on. Fortress Monastery? The Minotaurs are :censored::censored: fleet based! Starting to think I was too generous calling them :censored: hacks :cry:

Dude, it's been lore sense BFG that even fleet based chapters have Fortress Monasteries, and it's usually their flagship.

And they are no exception http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Daedelos_Krata

I feel kinda annoyed, because I don't know if the Minotaurs would get Primaris Marines, and even if they did, it makes me feel like my Scout Army I was building doesn't thematically fit in 40k anymore? Because I don't think Primaris marines use Scouts to make more of themselves, so why would they have them?

Either way. It's just confusing, and doesn't really inspire me to finish them.

Dude, it's been lore sense BFG that even fleet based chapters have Fortress Monasteries, and it's usually their flagship.

And they are no exception http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Daedelos_Krata

They're not usually called Fortress Monasteries in my experience (because Battleships aren't Fortresses). For example neither the Eternal Crusader or the Sigismund (whichever is actually the BT's flagship at this point) is commonly referred to as a 'Fortress Monastery'. However even FW are all over the place with nomenclature. Listing The Krata under 'Fortress Monastery', yet listing the same setup for the Lamenters as 'Non Applicable, Chapter headquarters and gene-seed serves located on Chapter Barque Mater Lachrymarum'.

However, my point is that I doubt that passage in the DG Codex was written by someone who bothered to look up the Minotaurs, otherwise if they meant the Krata, they'd have mentioned the Krata (just like you'd expect writers to talk about the Fang, Fortess of Hera, Ravenspire or the Phalanx when dealing with the relevant Chapters). The use of generic terms, most often associated with planet based, rather than fleet based Chapters, suggests that little thought went into feeding the Minotaurs to the DG, perhaps as little as 'spin the wheel, which loyalist Chapter do we screw?'.

Well... I for one was thrilled by that passage in the DG Codex! :) Lachdannan and I are starting new armies for 8th, and after I decided on Minotaurs he chose Death Guard! Perfect!

The specifics are not important - we can build our forces and run a campaign based off that little tidbit. Now I need to write a list...

I think the Minotaurs will get Primaris, but are unlikely to get the first generation ones who've been in stasis. The Minotaurs would not want anyone who hasn't been through their hypoindoctrination processes. What we will probably see is that their backers source Primaris geneseed to them. Frankly, it could be Guilliman himself who does it. He's a practical guy and the Minotaurs have their uses. 

Its probably worth remembering that the Death Guard attack occurs well into the new timeline. We have no idea if the Minotaurs still have the Krata as their fortress monastery. The Noctis Aeterna is also pretty likely to have caused big problems for a fleet based chapter. Depending how long it lasted for them, and how seriously they were attacked, they might have established a planetside monastery to hunker down in until it passed. 

I agree, that they probably will get them but I doubt they were first generation primaris. If the rumours are true, then the minotaurs actually use Iron Warrior geneseed and Gulliman has said a big no to forming new chapters using traitor geneseed. But the Minotaurs themselves could recieve Primaris by using their own geneseed stocks that are kept on Terra.