Minotaurs and Primaris...

old git

So nothing even semi official... just more 'shrouded in mystery' so that you can make it up yourself stuff...

The "semi official" answer comes from Eadwine Brown, the play tester whose Minotaur army their lore was partially based upon. It was him who stated that they are Iron Warriors descendents.

Do you have a direct source so we can see that? Also that is still not really what I would consider official.

Hence why I said semi-official in quotes.

https://imgur.com/a/fUExm

And how could it be a private conversation if there were likes on it?

To me it's just as real as the facebook quotes by Andy Chambers that disprove the Mag Urak Thraka=Margaret Thatcher myth and that the Dark Angels only changed color to push the sale of green paint.

Edited by Jareddm

I wouldn't consider any of their posts as official unless it's specified in an official publication, or its about their own official works (in which case it's clarifying something they say). An example being ADB saying when he wrote that the "ultramarines taking in the lost legions is just conjecture from the characters PoV and is not legit."

If ADB posted on Facebook "the minotaurs are iron warrior descendants" I wouldn't consider it official until it was backed up by printed lore.

Official posts would be posted by GW or FW proper, not individuals

The point of the conversations were they were Alan Bligh's death bed notes.  In the same convo in references Red Scorpions as loyalist EC and Space Sharks as Blackshields by the exiled shade lord.

But the same conversations also point out why they will never be officially printed.  Part of the mystique to the setting is the mystery.  Bligh gave hints in the rules and the background and let people make the connections on their own.

I personally consider the theory valid, but my vote only counts for 1 person: me.

The point of the conversations were they were Alan Bligh's death bed notes.  In the same convo in references Red Scorpions as loyalist EC and Space Sharks as Blackshields by the exiled shade lord.

But the same conversations also point out why they will never be officially printed.  Part of the mystique to the setting is the mystery.  Bligh gave hints in the rules and the background and let people make the connections on their own.

I personally consider the theory valid, but my vote only counts for 1 person: me.

Carcharodons literally have the words "Raven Guard" mentioned like three separate times in their fluff. It's literally an explicit admission of their heritage. It's like if a scientist told you that the Earth exhibited all the characteristics of a round object, but he doesn't know for sure if it's round. But I guess "possessing several genetic markers unique to the Raven Guard gene-seed" means "Night Lords" or "World Eaters" to some people. And then there's the people saying they're chimeric, because of Red Tithe, when the book doesn't mention anything about their geneseed or chimerism.

But yeah, unknown lineages are often kept unknown for no reason other than because we have enough confirmed successors running around. Maybe GW and FW like to let people have their fun, even if they're "wrong". If someone likes putting their own conspiracy theory spin on an existing subfaction, there's no real benefit for GW to rain on their parade. Plenty of creators have often been purposefully vague just to observe and enjoy their audience's speculation running rampant.

Edited by Tyberos the Red Wake

Tyberos:

I don't think the Carcharodons coming from the Raven Guard is a big deal.  I did not think I implicated they were either Night Lords or World Eaters.  However, them coming from a blackshield warband that chose to reject both sides in the Horus Heresy timeline makes them a standout.  Though it is only hinted, the implications of a them coming from Shade Lord Arkas Fall (spelling), a warlord that renounced the emperor, and coming back to the fold and fighting for the Imperium sets a precedent, even if the truth is only known in the shadows themselves.  At least, that is my take on the Carcharodons history.

• 3 weeks later...

sorry to hear that the deathguard are forcing more chapters to go full primaris but i guess having your geneseed stock turned into slime is better than being totally crushed in battle or having to be saved by the ultramarines. i don't like the idea but i'm happy that it didn't get any worse than that.

Edited by autek mor

Is it too much to ask to have some 40k story other than 'lol Imperium sucks, your dudes fail, pyrrhic victories are the best you can hope for'? I'm sure they used to...

You may be in the wrong hobby! ;)

Carcharodons literally have the words "Raven Guard" mentioned like three separate times in their fluff. It's literally an explicit admission of their heritage. It's like if a scientist told you that the Earth exhibited all the characteristics of a round object, but he doesn't know for sure if it's round. But I guess "possessing several genetic markers unique to the Raven Guard gene-seed" means "Night Lords" or "World Eaters" to some people. And then there's the people saying they're chimeric, because of Red Tithe, when the book doesn't mention anything about their geneseed or chimerism.

Don't both Red Tithe and the prequel "The Reaping Time" clearly suggest the Carcharodons have a mixed genetic heritage? I know "The Reaping Time" does, when Te Kahurangi reflects that Akia's "particular gene heritage" isn't hard to divine.

• 1 month later...

Nope... I own the forgeworld books, horus hereay books, digital short stories, and red tithe. The carcharodons are raven guard outcasts. They were too violent for the primarch and didn't fit his stealthy legion style, so he sent thme out with their own fleet to combat man's enemies.

This is why they share the pale skin and likeness of raven guard (black eyes), are fleet based, wear repaired heresy era armor, wear classic old horus heresy raven guard colors (shades of gray), and are violent instead of sneaky.

There is nothing that ties them to multiple Genesee or other legions, other than rumormongering.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...