Recommendations for DW Terminators?

ashc

Hi all, so I've recently acquired a bunch of terminator parts and was thinking of using them for deathwatch terminators; anyone with any tips for loadouts and whether using them as kill team members or as a standalone unit?

Cheers!

Would only recommend either having one with a ranged KT with a CML, or one with a large unit when you have a biker squad as well.

I personally do not recommend running terminators on their own, or investing too much in their loadouts. SB and Power Sword to give a valuable, full sized unit fearless and the ability to use a panic button. Since you have to take a minimal squad of 5 now, it is even worse. Bikers are just so much better, which will be even more appararent come our codex since they are almost guaranteed a 6 point drop.

I ran a unit of terminators a couple times alongside my kill teams - 4 SB, 1 assault cannon; all with power swords. I had a lot of shots after deep striking but I just felt like I wasn't doing enough damage. You instinctively deep strike termies near bigger threats, not necessarily infantry. Storm bolters excel at infantry killing and the assault cannon does better sitting still. And they only move the 5 inches so if you're too far away from the fight... :(

I really don't run them in kill teams because to best utilize their fearless ability, I'd need to run bigger kill teams. I typically run 5-6. I've seen CMLs in BATREPs and they seem to contribute nicely in those supporting gunfire squads. A couple TH/SS in a melee-ish kill team might do some good but definitely requires a blackstar to get them to their target.

Lately I get the urge to grab one or two with a heavy flamer and pair them up with some shotguns. A melta fist may not be a bad idea. Add's some serious firepower with less of a moving penalty.

I've been trying out a few different Kill Team formations to try and see if I can find what I like for the role of "mid field fire support".  One that I liked was:

5x Bolter Vets (1 w/Storm Shield, 3x Chainswords, Sarge w/ Power Sword) 

2x Terminators w/ Storm Bolter + Power Swords

It was interesting and pretty effective.  Terminators are very effective at tanking small arms fire and put out some nice dakka, the Storm Shield can get lucky and take the sting out of stuff like Grav Devastators, and the mixed squad makes it hard for the opponent to decide on things like overcharging plasma.  If they do overcharge, you can put wounds on Vets.  If they don't, try and tank them with the Termie's 5++ & 2W.

Is it MORE effective than 5 naked vets in an Assback? (approx same price) Probably not.  But it's cool, looks good, and does have some advantages.

Smart move taking the SS on a vet rather than a termie. Anything with a good AP is going to likely be higher D too, so if you do fail that 3++, you rob them of all the extra D there could have been and keep that 2w 2+ termie to soak up the small arms.

That's kind of my thought behind adding them to melee teams as well. One, MAYBE two SS in a vet squad is far more efficient them bringing an almighty terminator for both firepower and tanking. It's almost better to run a lightning claw termie with a melee kill team so you can make sure you he gets his attacks in (3A + 1 for the pair of lightning claws).

I just felt like I wasn't doing enough damage. You instinctively deep strike termies near bigger threats, not necessarily infantry.

What about 3x Assault Cannon, 2x SB, 5x Swords (or 4 and 1x PF/CF for big targets)? I find it's pretty cheap, hard hitting unit that for once offers something over other termies...

Some good suggestions here

Number 1 thing with terminators is getting rid of the Power Fist +20 points on top of the Deathwatch tax is just way too much. If your putting them in a Corvus the heavy flamer is useful and a SS is still a solid choice on vets to take the sting out of high AP weapons given you can burn a CP for a re-roll.

Hopefully we'll see a Codex soon, played a few games against armies with a new dex and the difference is huge especially in the tactical flexibility stakes

Hopefully we'll see a Codex soon, played a few games against armies with a new dex and the difference is huge especially in the tactical flexibility stakes

That's why my Watch Company is still in the box right now.  But I'm hoping for some decent help from the codex.

Smart move taking the SS on a vet rather than a termie. Anything with a good AP is going to likely be higher D too, so if you do fail that 3++, you rob them of all the extra D there could have been and keep that 2w 2+ termie to soak up the small arms.

Dear lord that is amazing! ^_^ Nearly enough to draw me back to Deathwatch. I'm going to have to look into these dudes a bit more again. Might be working on them after I finish my alpha strike Flesh Tearers...