Deathwatch Tactics 8E Questions

Muckwarrior

I've only played a handful of games for 8E, so I can have some questions to reconcile how to accomplish certain tasks.

1) What is the most effective way to move troops across the field? - I currently have 1 Corvus Blackstar, I think I'm going to pick up 2 more just for this. However, should I be using Land Raiders, Rhinos, etc? I utilize mixed units and can't therefore use a lot of different transports.

2) Special Issue Ammunition, to clarify, I should be using Hellfire against troops and Vengeance against vehicles?

3) Mixed Unit types, should I try to get 1 Terminator, 1 Vanguard, 1 Bike into every Kill Team?

Thanks!

I play mostly small point games, so I can't really elaborate a lot on points 1 & 2, but for 3 - generally no.  I might put a termie into a squad simply b/c I like using one of my models, but otherwise I rarely mix'n match since all you're really accomplishing is driving up point cost while grossly limiting a particular unit's strength.  To your first point - adding any of the extra units means Rhinos / Razorbacks are no longer options.

Edited by N00BST4R

1.Corvus seems choice . Although Landraider is a beast as well as Bullet Magnet so,1 of each to begin w/ ? Otherwise a second Corvus sounds like a winner.

2.Correct.And don't forget Kraken rounds when you wanna reach out and touch someone.

3.Depends.To maximize "perks" sure but a unit w/ one of each and a few weapon upgrades will drive that units cost over 300 pts.I think a large force should have at least one squad optimized thusly but really I would outfit the units to the required tasks keeping Special weapons or additional members to a minimum .

Muck: I wouldn't really throw everything together into their own units like that. If all your frag cannons are in one unit, they're a huge target. Or even if your opponent doesn't focus down your big expensive stuff right away, a few bad rolls and you might lose all those points anyway. For the most part, I try to take cheaper units of the same make up. Spread those frag cannons across 2 or 3 squads. The one exception is Stalker rifles, they work fine on their own (or with missile launchers) -- they're not a big threat to be targeted and being Heavy weapons, you don't want to move them around much.

I'm using Razors tl assault cannons with the watch master all KT's are Marines

Or

Couple of Blackstars for fire support & a couple of small teams

Bikes have worked well & added lightning claws to blackshield still totting 1 storm shield per squad despite the cost, frag cannon has taken a lower profile because of cost, low damage.

Primaris are a good backup I use an ally to pep up the lists though at the moment Deathwatch are a terminator & Vanguard free zone.

current terminator prices are messed up due to 20 points for a power fist making grey Knight sword & storm bolter & Catephracti bolter / claw a stupidly cheap option in comparison to Deathwatch terminators.

Since the SM book Vanguard as SM are so much cheaper it hurts + you can run them as raven guard

There is going to be an update soon which affects flyers holding or being able to capture objectives not sure of the exact text but it's put me off building a full corvus list. Also everyone seems to be dealing with flyers pretty easily these days with loads of peeps with re rolls + bonuses.

current terminator prices are messed up due to 20 points for a power fist making grey Knight sword & storm bolter & Catephracti bolter / claw a stupidly cheap option in comparison to Deathwatch terminators.

Wait, DW termies can take all-sword built too, no?

Wait, DW termies can take all-sword built too, no?

Correct

There is going to be an update soon which affects flyers holding or being able to capture objectives not sure of the exact text but it's put me off building a full corvus list. Also everyone seems to be dealing with flyers pretty easily these days with loads of peeps with re rolls + bonuses.

Wasn't Flyers holding objectives already FAQ'd/Errata'd several months back?  :huh.:

Wasn't Flyers holding objectives already FAQ'd/Errata'd several months back?  :huh.:

Yes this was already FAQ'd

I've only played a handful of games for 8E, so I can have some questions to reconcile how to accomplish certain tasks.

1) What is the most effective way to move troops across the field? - I currently have 1 Corvus Blackstar, I think I'm going to pick up 2 more just for this. However, should I be using Land Raiders, Rhinos, etc? I utilize mixed units and can't therefore use a lot of different transports.

2) Special Issue Ammunition, to clarify, I should be using Hellfire against troops and Vengeance against vehicles?

3) Mixed Unit types, should I try to get 1 Terminator, 1 Vanguard, 1 Bike into every Kill Team?

Thanks!

When you are planning on playing an elite army you need to figure out what goals you want to aim for and build towards that. Building all-comers lists with elite forces is nearly impossible. Do you want to Alpha/Beta Strike? Focus on rapid fire ranged combat? Focus on melee? Most armies can do this well. Deathwatch can do it almost as well, but it is really expensive and really difficult to win. You have to remember that Deathwatch wasn't designed, lorewise, for full out battles. They were designed to complete missions while the battle is raging around them. Give each unit a focal point, build them to that point and watch them excel at that. But be careful not to fall into the all-comer trap. It is easy, as you have seen, to turn a 2000 point Deathwatch force into 3-4 units and an HQ. Try and stay clear of that. Remember that your units will be dropping like normal space marines most of the time but they are far more expensive. 

I am honestly a fan of the the mid-range shooty element with vanguard in them which allows them to pull back and shoot without penalty. This is super awesome for space marines.

I was having a lot of trouble with larger squads that were 350-500 points. Changed tactics to 5-6 man teams with focused roles and I've been winning matches. Even at 5-6 marines, they match firepower with squads twice their size. Smaller squads and point totals equal more diversity in team build.

Thanks!

When you are planning on playing an elite army you need to figure out what goals you want to aim for and build towards that. Building all-comers lists with elite forces is nearly impossible. Do you want to Alpha/Beta Strike? Focus on rapid fire ranged combat? Focus on melee? Most armies can do this well. Deathwatch can do it almost as well, but it is really expensive and really difficult to win. You have to remember that Deathwatch wasn't designed, lorewise, for full out battles. They were designed to complete missions while the battle is raging around them. Give each unit a focal point, build them to that point and watch them excel at that. But be careful not to fall into the all-comer trap. It is easy, as you have seen, to turn a 2000 point Deathwatch force into 3-4 units and an HQ. Try and stay clear of that. Remember that your units will be dropping like normal space marines most of the time but they are far more expensive. 

I am honestly a fan of the the mid-range shooty element with vanguard in them which allows them to pull back and shoot without penalty. This is super awesome for space marines.

Where exactly was this FAQ'd?  It's not in this: https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Errata/Warhammer_40000/warhammer_40000_rulebook_ENG.pdf

The only thing I can find is in the FAQ for the BRB: When determining if a player has any units on the battlefield, do not include any units with the Flyer Battlefield Role – these units cannot operate within a combat airspace indefinitely and they cannot hold territory without ground support.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about.  So I guess they can still hold/contest objectives then?  Though with ObjSec returning in the new codices, I don't see that as a very big deal.

I agree. Troops are going to be really important in the future. Right now all troops don't have obsec so it is easier to get away with things like flyers holding objectives. But once the troops come out with obsec it will be pretty bad for vehicles trying to hold objectives that might be easily contested.

Tactics wise, I think the most successful way of playing small elite armies (deathwatch, GK, harlequins) is to play like craftworld Eldar. Kit out your kill teams for a role/purpose and stick to it during the game, you go tank hunting with your fire warriors, not get them bogged down in close combat, then they will die.

This gets even easier with good transports that Deathwatch have, such as Asscan razorbacks, Landraiders and Corvuses.

Play like orks, shoot the choppy units, and chop the shooty units.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about.  So I guess they can still hold/contest objectives then?  Though with ObjSec returning in the new codices, I don't see that as a very big deal.

I agree. Troops are going to be really important in the future. Right now all troops don't have obsec so it is easier to get away with things like flyers holding objectives. But once the troops come out with obsec it will be pretty bad for vehicles trying to hold objectives that might be easily contested.

In particular, IG being able to flood the table with ObjSec Infantry/Conscripts is going to break some hearts.  8th edition continues to evolve!  :)